120 IPA

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by BruceBruce, Jul 14, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinscott

kevinscott Zealot (595) Oct 21, 2008 Texas

I have tried it on tap twice. The first time I hated it. The second time I was able to finish the 8oz pour. Not something I plan on seeking out again.

2. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Initiate (0) May 6, 2009 Arizona

I wouldn't compare 120 to other DIPA. It's 5% to 9% more Abv than the beers you guys named. I understand why people don't like it's sweet and sryupy.

3. Krumb

Krumb Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Texas

Part truth, part sarcasm...my post, I mean. I see both sides of the coin here...I just don't consider it a IIPA, DIPA, etc.

4. Exiled

Exiled Initiate (0) May 30, 2009 Texas
    Trader

Yea but DFH is known for rating their beers higher in abv than what they really are. DFH 120 says 18% abv, but its probably closer to 15% abv. But I see what your saying, for DFH 120 is not really like any other DIPA...

Krumb likes this.
  5. StoneBrewFanatic

StoneBrewFanatic Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2010 Virginia

How exactly would these falsely abv rated beers make it past the oh so particular TABC?

6. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Because it doesn't say the alcohol percentage on the label and they reported to the commission that it is actually around 15%[​IMG]

7. StoneBrewFanatic

StoneBrewFanatic Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2010 Virginia

8. RustyP

RustyP Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2008 Texas

After calling & visiting all the places I could think of in search of some cheaper 120, I caved and bought one of those $18 bottles...just one. The guy working the store last night (not one of the "beer guys") said they originally had it marked at $25 a bottle!, and that an hour earlier someone came in and bought a 6-pack. Good to know I'm not the only sucker :/

9. Krumb

Krumb Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Texas

what vintage is it? possible they're selling it at that markup due to it being an older bottle.

10. RustyP

Ohh...didn't even think about that. It's 2011.

11. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2010 Texas

Not a big 120 fan but I saw that Addison Saucer is tapping a keg Sunday at 3 or so. You have to get a ticket though and those go on sale at 1 or something like that. Part of their BrewBBQ Sunday.

Also a keg of BBDPP from 512 goes on at 1.

12. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

For those who are interested, the San Antonio Saucer is tapping 120 tomorrow at 6 PM. Personally, I'm more looking forward to finally trying Ranger Creek's San Antonio IPA.

dumptruck81 likes this.
  13. RustyP

The Flying Saucer on Lake Ray Hubbard is also tapping 120 tomorrow night, at 7pm. $3-4 for all other IPA pints.

14. Grendle

Grendle Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Flying Saucer in San Antonio is also tapping a keg of 120 Min tomorrow.

15. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

IPA day I assume

16. Grendle

Due to National IPA Day they will have Ranger Creek IPA for $3, Brooklyn Blast snifters for $4 and a rare tapping of DFH 120 Min. Curious to see what they will charge for a snifter of this in San Antonio. Any idea anyone?

17. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Had 120 at Houston Saucer a year or so ago and it was $6 a snifter if I recall. Pretty reasonable.

18. Grendle

At $6 a snifter that is very reasonable. Hopefully they keep it at that same price bc the wife is watching my beer budget. :grinning: Wife has been upset with all the beer purchases recently and accuses me of hoarding bc she can't fathom beer being cellared. :angry:

BruceBruce likes this.
  19. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

I thought the term 'cellar' was just a euphemism for hording :wink:

20. Grendle

True but she doesn't have to know that... :sunglasses:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.