120 IPA

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by BruceBruce, Jul 14, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

My dad just picked up a case (!) of 120 and 75 in Massachsetts. $12 a bottle for both in Wareham, MA. He wins at beer this month.

champaynes likes this.
  2. RustyP

RustyP Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2008 Texas

Dallas actually....Garland to be specific. The same store I mentioned recently got a shipment of Endeavour from the June bottling. Between that and Schmaltz Hop Manna, I've been a happy (and somewhat frugal) drinker for the past couple of weeks!

After thinking about it overnight, despite my excitement to try 120 for the first time and the fact that my wife gave me the go-ahead :wink:, I think I'll continue to hold out in hopes that some other stores start carrying it at a more reasonable price so I can get multiples. I heard from a friend that another store in Garland sold it for $12 last time it was available, so I may have another option in my area.

3. Exiled

Exiled Initiate (0) May 30, 2009 Texas
    Trader

DFH 120 is an intense beer, and considering the high price of it, you might want to try/buy 1 bottle first before you buy multiple bottles of it, and then after having your first bottle you regret buying the others. (I dont like DFH 120)

pwsoldier likes this.
  4. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

Agreed. Certainly worth trying once, but very overrated imo, unless it's poured from a watermelon (I really wasn't joking about that).

5. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

Yeah the 120 min is drinkable but not on the same par of the regular ipa's. Tons of sugar to cover the other craziness going inside the beer.

6. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Trader

120 is much better on tap. The extreme hopiness just does not translate well to the bottle.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  7. pwsoldier

Some good news on the DFH front, a shitload of Theobroma just hit the Austin/SA market. Gabriel's has 10 cases.

8. JCDenver

JCDenver Zealot (586) Feb 8, 2010 Texas
    Trader

Fixed!

air, Show, Exiled and 1 other person like this.
  9. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

I haven't had a chance to try this one yet. Gotta tick it at some point...guess I'm going to try to catch a bar tapping. Olde School and Bitches on the other hand...please please say they are going to make it here soon.

10. kmello69

kmello69 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Saw Theobroma at the Specs Round Rock today, but didnt pick any up. 120 did not agree with me - wanted to drain pour it, but forced it down on principle alone.

11. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

I paid 12 bucks a bottle when it was rarer a couple years ago.
    Yeah it's an *ahem* intense beer as people say.
    Glad to have had it, don't plan on getting more any time soon.
    Now their World Wide Stout is a different story....

dumptruck81 likes this.
  12. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

Theobroma was delicious. I may have to grab a few more bottles.

13. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Initiate (0) May 6, 2009 Arizona

I love 120 I'm planning a tasting with 09, 11, and 12

14. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

Never seen so many 120 haters in my life. Having 120 is like having gold on tap.

15. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

lol, maybe the hops fad is waning? Yeah not hardly.

i am suprised at the 120 min hate as well. Whasamater? hops finally got you down?

Stouts and porters forever!!!

16. pwsoldier

Some of us don't like the conspicuous taste of booze in our DIPAs. IMO, beers like Hoptimum, Hopsickle, Palate Wrecker, and R10 have that "just right" balance between abv and searing hop bitterness.

jamescain and air like this.
  17. Exiled

Trader

DFH 120 is just a boozy, syrupy, mess of a beer. (IMO)

If I want a big DIPA, I go for Founders Devil Dancer, or Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree...

Or even Flying Dog Double Dog...

air and pwsoldier like this.
  18. Krumb

Krumb Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Texas

But is it really a IIPA? :wink:

19. Exiled

Trader

IIPA? Imperial India Pale Ale?

Founders Devil Dancer - 12% abv
    Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree - 13.6% abv
    Flying Dog Double Dog - 11.5% abv

air likes this.
  20. air

air Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2007 Texas

Agreed. Devil Dancer is everything 120 isn't. Still really sticky, but the sweetness and bitter are better balanced and neither is overpowering.

120 is just an awful beer all around and I really wish more of it would get to TX. That way more people would have a chance to try the stuff and form an opinion instead of building hype due to the scarcity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.