Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.
4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

0.5L mug served vom fass with a rich creamy tan head. Deep amber/maple color. Rich full toasted barley taste, sweet, maple, faint smokey flavor. While almost a meal on its own, surely it is an amazing compliment to cheese products or salty meat dishes (available at the cafe!) Reminiscent of a Nut Brown, but with a much fuller and conscious substance. Truly delicious, particulalry at the source. Enjoyed at Kloster Andechs - I highly recommend you visit this place.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

A- dark reddish brown with no head at all?!

S- Fruity and malty with a bit of tangy olive. Smells like dark, sweet spent grains.

T- Very fruity. it has a deep roast malt body and finish that is a little smokey.

M. good carbonation. a bit syrupy, which would be complemented by a more creamy head if it had one.

D. Not so much.

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

The beer is clear red-brown, with a tan head leaving some lacing.

The smell is fruity ,grassy and yeasty, dry and fresh grass, some honey.

The taste is rather sweet, raisins and dates, acidity - green apples and pears.

Medium carbonation, medium complexity, a somewhat sticky feeling.

Not at all bad. Sampled at a "blind" beer tasting at De Klomp, Linköping, Sweden. We did nail it.

500ml bottle 7,1% Abv

I have never been a huge fan of bock beers, but I decided to give this one a go as it's one of the best in the style. Lets see whether it can convert me.

Appearance: Half way through the pour and I can already see that this is going to be an amazing looking beer. Crystal clear, deep crimson with stunning highlights when held to even the smallest light source. Good sized, cream coloured head that has pretty good retention and leaves a decent amount of lace stuck to the glass.

Smell: Wow, after the first whiff I know that this beer is going to change my perceptions towards bocks. Wonderful, slightly caramelly roasted malt aromas dominate the nose, darkish fruits (dates predominantly), molasses and a hint on smokiness are also noted.

Taste: The taste follows perfectly from the nose. Dark caramel malt, dates, cherries, molasses and a hint of coffee are just a few of the flavours that come to mind during each sip. Thankfully alcohol is barely -if at all- noted in the flavour.

Mouthfeel: What a pleasure this beer is to drink. Just fuller than medium bodied with perfect, ultra-smooth carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer has certainly convinced me that there are great bock beers out there and I will most certainly be having this one again many times in the future.

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%

Andechser, I wanted to try their doppelbock (barley), as I liked their Hefeweizen a lot.
'Genuss für Leib & Seele': Pleasure for body and soul.
Sounds good.
0.5 l bottle, bought in Nordhorn, Germany.

Colour is chestnut brown. Head is good, but carbonation is disappointing. Lacing is ok.

Smell of malts, roasted malts. A bit of coffee and chocolate, caramel.
Also in the taste. It's bittersweet and peppery.
Bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium. Allthough the alcohol is not dominant, it's there. The carbonation is making up for it for sure. It makes this brew both refreshing and very warming.
Save this one for colder, rainy days (as a bockbier, that goes without saying).
Nice brew, recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Served into a Heinneken mug

The pour it was a dark brown resembling any cola with a big off white creamy head that dissipates rather quickly leaving a small lacing

The smell (for me) it was overpowered by the malts and coffee with hints of licorice and banana.

The taste (it was awesome), malts, coffee, licorice (also my wife tasted some chocolate that i couldn't), the alcohol taste it's very smooth for a 7.1% ABV, I think if you have a couple it can sneak on you. The flavor it's not very long lasting the only thing that leaves behind it's coffee feel in the mouth.

In all it's a very light beer to drink for a dark one with complex flavors, that leaves you wanting more.

I will have more!!!

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

(Served in a weizen glass) mind estens halt bar bis: 191010
A- Glows clear but dense with a deep walnut brown body with a sea of microbubbles in slow motion to a light tan creamy head that last and last with nice lacing with each sip.
S- The rich sweet toasted maltiness with some caramel malt with raw grain in the background and a Vienna malt.
T- A rich roasted flavor with a slight sweetness leads to a dry finish with a nice darker roasted malt that grows in the finish. A hop bitterness blends with roasted dark malt and a light sulfur note all linger together after the finish.
M- This beer has a full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a nice creamy texture.
D- The full rich dark malt with some lager qualities and no real nougat melanoidins notes. This is a big beer with a nice supporting bitterness. It is a full meal in a glass.

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Half liter bottle poured into a Pokal glass. The taste is very comforting. Reminds me of drinking coffee or hot chocolate because of the warming affect of the alcohol and the toasty malt flavors. I think I'll definitely have to revisit this one in the cold winter months. The sweet malt and bitter flavors balance out to make this an extremely drinkable beer. I accidentally finished my whole bottle in about 20 minutes it was so good.

A very good beer thats maybe too easy to drink? I don't know if thats possible but I think it tasted too simple to me. I would have liked more flavors to linger on my tongue for me to ponder. Instead the beer just made me more thirsty.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Dark reddish-brown body with about an inch of light tan head. Quickly receded but left behind a nice skim and some lacing.

S: Sweet malts: Caramel, chocolate, and cola. Real clean aroma profile.

T: Packed with plenty of sweet malts that are neither cloying nor heavy on the palate. Lots of cola, caramel, dark fruits, some chocolate and a bit of generic roasted goodness.

M: Medium bodied with a gentle rolling carbonation that keeps the sweetness moving across the tongue. Smooth finish with just a hint of lingering sweetness.

D: A pleasant drinking experience! My glass was empty before I knew it. I wish this was available in the states... I'd drink it every time I grilled some sausages. Glad I was able to finally track this one down.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Had from the barrel at Kloster Andechs. Great place.

A: A nice dark red that is clear, not hazy. Nice thick head, slightly off-white.

S: Wonderful malty aroma. Not quite what I expected; very light smell, and quite sweet.

T: Amazing taste. Full body of sweet, malty, goodness, balanced well with a bitter taste. Slight hints of fruits.

M: Great mouthfeel. Good body, but I would have preferred it a bit fuller. A good level of carbonation.

D: Excellent drinkability, especially for a doppelbock. Went through 2 liter glasses quite quickly. Possibly my favorite beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

A huge thanks to Greg for including this as an extra in our recent trade! I've been wanting to try this one for quite some time.

A: The pour is a dark amber-kissed brown color with a finger's worth of khaki foam.

S: A nice sweet nose with some cola, chocolate, and caramel. There's a fair amount of roast to this, which I was not quite expecting.

T: The flavor is pretty much what I expect from a doppelbock. Toffee, caramel, cola, cherries, and just a pleasant sweetness overall. The roasted and toasted malts provide some nice complexity.

M: The body is medium with a very nice creamy and smooth carbonation to it.

D: I really liked this doppelbock, which is becoming a style that I enjoy very much. Good flavor and mouthfeel, and easy to drink.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Stone imperial pint glass. Poured a deep and dark caramel color with a huge active tan head to it. The head faded down to a very thin bubbly layer after a few minutes and left a small amount of lacing as I drank it.

The aroma has sweet malty flavor to it with some caramel and nuttiness coming through. Some hints of dark fruits are present as well.

The taste has some very nice caramel and toffee flavors to it. Some dark fruit and a bit of cocoa coming through as well. It has a very flavorful and complex taste to it.

The mouthfeel is is on the heavier side and carbonation is relatively low. Excellent mouthfeel overall. Drinkability is good, it's a very flavorful and easy drinking beer. I really enjoyed it and would gladly have another, but would probably opt for something more available here in the U.S. in the future. I liked Thomas Hooker's Doppelbock just as much, if not more anyway.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Had this at a random german bar in tokyo.

A- Poured a dark amber. About half an inch of head.
S- Nice maltiness.
T- Wow. The flavor was awesome. Little bit sweet, with only mild hoppiness.
M- Felt great going down.
D- I didn't even realize how fast I finished it. Definitely very easy to drink. Went down really easy.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - Clear dark red. 1 finger of head with good retention.

Smell - Strong, nutty and earthy, with an unusual touch of soy sauce.

Taste - Very nutty for a doppelbock. Huge malt presence, but well balanced. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth.

Drinkability - Good for the style.

Overall - I have no idea how I didn't think this beer was anything particularly special the first time I tried it.

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Mahogany-bronze pour, nice head and lacing.

Smell: Medium-dark roasted malt and brown bread, along with dark-ish fruit.

Taste: Booze starts out a bit hot and fades as I get into it. After that, malt and dark fruits lead the charge, followed by brown bread and faint bananas. Perhaps a bit bitter.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is lightly tingly and spot-on for what I epxected for the style, does a good job of coating the mouth and is very smooth on the finish.

Drinkability: Don't serve this too cold, it definitely got better as it warmed a bit; ABV was a bit higher than I expected (and was felt/tasted)

3.06/5  rDev -29%

I had some expectations of this beer. Bought it in Germany a few weeks ago. Poured the beer in a Palm glass. The beer gives a very nice lightbrown to red head with some red rings which come up!! Haven't seen this before. The beer itself is darkred rubybrown with a bit of carbonation.

The rest is average. The smell is reasonable, i smell a bit of the malt which is used.

The taste is not spectacular, also the mouthfeel.

I drank the beer during a game of cards. Then it's very drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Tasted this from the barrel at Kloster Andechs.

Deep amber-brown in color with no residual sediment. A nice almond colored head filled the last 5-10% of the glass and hung around for a minute or two, not too long, not too short.

Highly aromatic, clearly illuminating the roasted malty aroma. Sweet on the nose, but not in a repulsive way. Subtle hints of smoke.

Strong taste of caramel but balanced well with hoppy bitterness. Full bodied with low acidity.

Mildly carbonated but lacks the full bodied texture I would have expected which leaves a little something missing.

While overall my impression was diminished slightly by the less than full body of the texture, that point actually increases the drinkability of this beer.

Overall a good beer that I would drink again.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Pours a dark brownish color, nice sized frothy white/brown head, good lace down the glass.
S: Smells like fresh baked sweet bread. Lots of maltiness...smells very nice.
T: Sweet toffee and bready malt flavors dominate...slight dark fruitiness in there as well.
M: Medium bodied and very smooth mouthfeel
D: Man I wish I knew how to get this stuff in the states!! One of the best dopplebocks I've had.

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

The first bottle I busted open in line at the veritas 007 release. Also gave myself a good pour. Aquired this bottle from digita7693 from Germany. Expensive shipment but worth it. Glad to have another to drink soon and will probably be trading for more.

Pours a dark brown color. Like a far brown stained wood. Nice head and decent lacing.

Aroma is more roasty than expected. Compared to other dopple bocks I've had. Not alot of aroma but also some caramel and that malty lager aroma you get from a bock.

Taste was more roasty than I expected but had a good semi sweet chocolate flavor I was not expecting. Toasted sugar and caramel with the roastyness of the grains is very nice. Also a bit of that typical lager flavor.

Mouthfeel is a little less viscous than I expected (compared to celebrator) but very nice. Nice medium carb.

Overall I will be trading (with hopefully my regular germany trading partner) for this many more times. Gunna keep this one around for others to try.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Dark reddish-orange copper color with an average sized foamy and creamy off-white/light beige head. Good retention with a good amount of lacing left.

S - A lot of dark malt with caramel, toffee, toasted grain and a slight bready smell. Hints of nutty and fruity smell as well. Hint of earthy hops, but this is definitely a malty beer.

T - A good balance between some dark fruit (particularly cherry) and dark toasted malt taste (prominently grainy and bready malt but the caramel and toffee flavors are also fairly strong). Very rich malt taste is present throughout. A hint of something similar to semi-sweet cocoa/chocolate is also present. Fairly sweet tasting but has a bit of a tart zing to it. Nice toasted malt flavor lingers on the tongue well after the sip.

M - Medium body with slightly above carbonation. Quite smooth with just the slightest bit of drying, sticky feel at the end.

D - Superb. Great malt flavors. It is sweet but definitely not cloying. Just a very easy to drink and enjoyable beer. The flavors are well balanced and very satisfying to taste and it goes down very easy. Too bad the ABV is a touch high.

Notes: Very nice malty beer. Sweet but not overly sweet. Just a very easy and enjoyable beer to drink. Luckily the taste also lingers a bit. It doesn't seem like a beer that blows me away or really shocks me, but rather a beer that I would happily drink everyday. Very rich flavors, but it isn't too much or cloying. Wonderful beer, if you can try it, do so.

2.93/5  rDev -32%

Beautiful dark auburn color. A color I've never seen in a beer. Hardly any head.

Smells sweet and malty. Quite nice.

It has this mouth puckering sourness to it. Bitter and sour. Malty, it tastes a bit like liquor. There's a strong alcohol flavor, which is stronger than the percentage it contains, which I don't find pleasant.

Stings the tongue with carbonation. Not bad, but interesting

Ultimately I find the flavor too strange to drink extensively. It doesn't sit on my taste buds in a great way.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - 4.5
Pours into a 0.5L stein with two fingers of bubbly beige head that settled to a thin layer over a clear, mahogany body. Good head retention but no lace.

Smell - 4.5
Intensely malty and rich nose of sweet malt loaf, savoury rye crackers, toffee and dessert apple.

Taste - 4.5
Nearing perfection for a doppelbock; intensely malty yet well attenuated and drinkable. Tastes of lightly buttered multigrain toast, rye crackers, hard toffee, caramel and liquor soaked figs. Finishes dry and savoury with warming alcohol and enough hop bitterness to balance the hefty malt.

Mouthfeel - 4.5
Medium body is lighter than expected considering the size of the beer, and coupled with fine, moderate carbonation, gives a smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability - 4.0
Clearly not a session beer (and it isn't supposed to be), but very easy to drink, despite the noticeable alcohol character.

Not as much of a malt-bomb as some 5% Munich Dunkels due to the fruity complexity of the higher alcohol. Perhaps the definitive doppelbock - it's the highest rated lager on BeerAdvocate and with good reason. A truly superb beer.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle with a best by date of 10/19/2010. I've heard this one doesn't do too well with age on it, so I was excited to try a fairly fresh one (I think).

Great appearance: clear dark brown with a nice tan head that leaves swirling foam on the beer.

Aroma is very nice, nutty with chocolate, spice, roast, and dark fruits.

Flavor is really good and complex for the style. Caramel malt, toffee, chocolate, spice, raisin and date. Well-balanced and not in-your-face in any way.

Smooth on the palate with a phenomenal mouthfeel. Medium-full body.

This is one of those beers that just strikes you as really awesome. Supremely drinkable. Will seek this one out again for sure. Pretty sure this clocks in as my favorite doppelbock of all time.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Spoiled living in Germany and having a bottle shop that actually stocks a few Bavarian beers.

A brownish copper, nice white head that goes away, nice lacing

S deliciously sweet and malty, some caramel

T Nice sweet, brown sugar, figs, very smooth, perfect example of a doppel!

D quite good, very smooth, perfect amount of carbonation

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Nice dark brown color with red to amber on the edges from the light. The head was nothing to big and did not last long.
Really reminded me of a dark root beer.

S- Roasted malt, Toffee, and dark fruits

T- The roasted malt really shines through on this one which I enjoy, almost a sweet after taste lingers in your mouth.

M- Smooth!! Can feel there is little carbonation to this beer.

D- Perfect. It is spot on for a dobblebock.

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Andechs