Marzen - E.J. Phair Brewing Company

E.J. Phair Brewing Company visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mark on 05-02-2003

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%

I'm pulling for this brewery, they're very close to where I live and are managing to get exposure for their product around here. I haven't really been bowled over but I will say I think these beers would be good to convert swill drinkers. They are not intimidating and all have been pretty smooth. This beer poured a deep amber, but head retention and lacing were poor. Aroma was pretty standard with Malty sweetness seeming to dominate. Taste was also slightly sweet with a good soft maltiness, a decent drinkable beer for this style. It just happens I'm not really turned on my lagers anymore.

3.51/5  rDev +1.2%

This is probably my favorite beer from EJ Phair. It's served a deep amber with about a finger of foam, which disipates to a thin layer of bubbles that lasts for the rest of the glass. The aroma is sweet with the usual malt aromas. I don't get a ton of lager aroma on here, but there is some grainy/cereal aroma there. Tastes very crisp and slightly sweet. There's something intangible about the flavor that I can't get over. It almost tastes a little dirty. Maybe it's a lingering hop bitterness that doesn't belong? I dunno. Still, the lager yeast cleans up everything fairly nicely, and it makes for a drinkable beer. I'd have two.

3.46/5  rDev -0.3%

Medium orange color. Medium white foamy head. Aroma is mild, with touches of malt and grain. A medium bodied marzen. Malts are fruity and sweet, with a very nice malt profile. Hops are mild and maybe a little spicy. This is a very easy drinking, nice tasting marzen. The malt flavors shine through in this very simple, but very nice marzen. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

3.33/5  rDev -4%

12oz bottle from a Beers of the World mix box that I got for Christmas from an acquaintance. Thanks Scott!

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a slight 1/4" off-white head above the slightly cloudy dark amber brew. Head is gone in a flash, down to spotty bubble coverage, and lacing is average. Aroma is slightly malty, then switches to a slightly sour fruity effect. Taste follows the nose, but with a fuller malt load opver the tongue, and only the slightest fruity tinge at the end. Mouthfeel is pretty good, the sour knocking it down just a notch, and drinkability is good as well. Seems like this one would probably be much better fresh, but since there is no bottle dating, I have no way of knowing if it was brewed last month or last year.

Marzen from E.J. Phair Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.