Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,060 | Hads: 4,196
4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

A great beer poured in the proper glassware really brings out the geek in me!

The beer pours out a dark amber/brown with golden highlights at the bottom of the glass. There is a huge 2" billowy tan head with outstanding retention. Some lacing left on glass. Visually stunning.

The nose contains a beautiful yeasty smell and much spice, clove, licorice and even a little rye bread in there. It doesn't get much better than this!

Chocolate is the first thing to set off my tastebuds, followed by spice and clove. There is a slight earthiness apparent with just a hint of dark fruit (plum/raisin?). A little wheat sourness shows its head before some banana and spicy yeast tones take back over. Everything in here has a perfect and subtle balance.

Smooth, dense and satisfying.

This is a world class beer in my opinion. Very close to flawless!

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got to sample this at a local beer taste. A deep, dark, murky rusted bronze hue with a nice, tight 1/2" head of cream hued foam. Nose was earthy, malted, yet lightly sweet.

Wow, what a surprise this is! I was not expecting this! With most of the "bock" style beers I have tried I was expecting a nice, deep, rich malted taste. Don't get me wrong - that deep, rich malted base is there, along with a little smoke, maybe some earth, but my tongue is alive with the sharp, crisp, strong clove taste that floats above it. Along with some mild pepper essences, the clove just sings and brings a vitality, an energy, a cider-like explosion. This is very enjoyable, one of the biggest surprises I have experienced in a while. The two opposites dance and eventually join on the pallete, then a nice, crisp finish. I immediately picked up one to enjoy at home.

What a great experience. I cannot recommend this highly enough to those who enjoy a change of pace, a taste experience, or are looking for a summer bock-style ale. Definitely try this if you can.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The beer poured hazy medium to almost dark brown/amber. The yello-tan head was frothy and tall falling slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was strong melding of ripe fruits and dark caramel with a strong wheat presence. The ripe fruits were bananas of course with a slight clove spice for good measure. Some slight alcohol was present in the aroma and increased as the beer warmed.

The flavor was nicely accomplished with more strong ripe fruit presence, bananas, and a nice caramel presence melded with wheat and malt for a pleasant combination of flavors. The wheat flavors and alcohol presence led to a crisp flavor characteristic.

The finish was even with lasting bananas, slight clove spice and wheat. The body was rounded and medium full with wheat and carbonation giving excellent palate sensations.

500 ml bottle. Date coding is too many numbers to figure out. Dunno how I missed rating this one. Have had on draft and in bottles many times since becoming a BA. Had to go out and get this bottle to review.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

pours dark ruby with a gargantuan head. the aromas of banana and clove that I associate with most wheat beers are here, but less dominant, allowing more subtle, richer aromas of fruit cake and a little caramel to come through. pleasant mouthfeel with a refreshing finish. Manages to take the standard weisse beers to another level and add complexity while still keeping it balanced and refreshing

4.74/5  rDev +10%

Big thanks to BigLove for this awesome beer!

A: Cloudy fresh pressed apple cider color, bigass fluffy tannish head. Wispy lacing. In the beer are seen <Don Ho>Tiny Bubbles</Don Ho>

S: Unbelievable complexity in the nose. Fruity wine like aromas of grapes and raisins. Richly toasted malts, spicy yeast aromas, bananas, cloves. Mild solvent alcohol aromas. Dark bread crust. This beer ranks right up there with the finest that Belgium has to offer.

T: Taste is right up there with Trappist ales. Big malt flavors, strong hints of grapes and plums. There's a bit of an alcoholic spicy flavor. Chewy, sticky bread. Hop bitterness is very low and seems there only to keep the maltiness from becoming cloying. Citrusy and yeasty. Just an absolute joy to taste. Flavors are dancing a slow neverending waltz.

M: Full body. Alcohol is a hot bolus playing swirly in my system, but it's not a sharp, drying alcohol feel, but a golden smooth warming. Carbonation is just a wee bit too high.

D&N: Definitely worth the wait to try this one. This is a beer to sit back with and savor. A heavy, strong, and thoroughly enjoyable beer. Thanks again to BigLove for hooking me up with this brew.

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Dark brown/caramel color. Not black. Huge, noisy, rocky, offwhite colored head made of tiny bubbles. Thick sheet of bubbles remains and sticks modestly.

Smell: Very wheaty right as I open the bottle. Smells like hefeweizen. Yeasty, bready, and a little spiced.

Taste: Tons of flavor. Wheaty, yeasty, and even chocolaty. Also fruity and sweet...one of the best tasting beers I have experienced. Slightly spiced as it finishes with clove.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Maybe a little fuller. Alcohol is completely hidden except a little warmth in the back of my throat.

Drinkability: If you like wheat beer and dopplebock (but especially the rather) this is very great. I will buy this one every chance I get.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

Very nice chestnut brown color with a tremendous tan head that makes you poor slowly and a little at a time. It disappears fairly quickly, however, with no real lacing.

The aroma is bready, malty, spicy with a bit of raisins and bananas.

The taste is fresh wheat bread with raisins, bananas, plums, cloves, anise and rum. Quite a mouthful, with medium/full body and ample carbonation. Slightly sweet up front, spicy and fruity at the finish with a hint of chocolate and a hit of alcohol warmth - the first indication of this beer's strength.

Very nice. Fairly easy to drink for 8% ABV. This went well with grilled salmon but was even better after dinner.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer looks perfect. In fact, it's the first beer of 220 I've reviewed that I've given a 5 to. It is a wonderful dark mahogany color with a large amount of carbonation and a huge, meringue-like head. The head was so substantial that it took me several minutes to totally pour it into my hefe glass. My nephew who lived in Germany says this minutes-long pouring process is normal, though. I was about to subtract a .5 point because this beer was clear. But once I swirled the last few ounces in the bottle and poured them in my glass, the beer got nice and cloudy.

The smell is very good and combines the styles nicely. There is the expected clove smell of a Weizen and it's mixed with the malty and fruity notes of a bock.

The taste is also very good. It is spicy and wheaty (is that a word?) but also a bit sweet. The taste leans more heavily to the wheat side that the bock. For an 8 percent ABV beer, this hides its alcohol well. (But I am feeling it after about 250 mL.)

The body is good and smooth. It rolls right over my palate. It's light, like a wheat beer should be.

Overall this is a hell of a beer. It's probably going into my top 10 (No. 3 at the moment!) based on my score. I very highly recommend it, especially for Weizen fans and super-especially for fans of dunkles bier.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

This one was a good find at the beer store. A 3 year old aged Aventinus specially packaged. From the information hanging off the bottle: "Therefore, in 1999, the Schneider brewery decided to age 240 cases of Aventinus each year in their historical ice cellar in Kelheim with each batch held for a minimum of 3 years." The result is quite yummy. Pours light brown in color with a haze. Smell is of bananas and yeast. Taste is heavenly. Bananas, lemon juice, minimal cloves. I wish I had a new one to compare against. Perhaps this is worth another trip back to the store! $5.49 for 500ml bottle. If you see it, it is worth it. Label says hints of softer chocolate, clay, and sherry when aged. Excuse me if I didn't pick up on all of these.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

500ml bottle
Appearance: Poured a cloudy dark brown that had a huge head of foam. The head foam was so big, that I had to stop pouring half way through because it would have over flowed the glass.
Smell: It was bready, lots of cloves, and kind of spicy.
Taste: Malty, very wheaty, lots of spices, and at the end, it had some fruit taste in it.
Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, medium bodied with a nice wheat aftertaste. I really didn't feel that 8% alcohol content.
Drinkability: Resonabley priced for such an excellent and common weizenbock.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Chewy, malty. Something about this reminds me of marshmallows. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a chalice it's a dark color that gives a nice head with lacing on ze glass.
This is almost a meal in a bottle so it's not so highly drinkable in my mind but it's tasty enough to make you try to drink more than maybe you probably should.
Very good, very German, has always been very reasonabley priced as far as I have seen.
Try it on for size. I know I will try it again.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from a 1 pint, 0.9 fl oz. bottle with date code on back into a tulip glass. As the beer sits in the glass it is a dark brown, holding it to the light reveals it to be dark reddish brown, a little murky, but carbonation is noticeable. Big tan head, at least 3-inches. I am somewhat disappointed that after a sip or two the head disappeared to form a tight ring around the glass with no lacing, that keeps this from a 5.

Smell: Malty, with burnt wheat field scent. Aromas of chocolate, toffee, banana, and plums or figs (kinda like a fig Newton bar, am I nuts?).

Taste: Malt with a nice wheat profile, a little sweet. Not as bready or citrusy as a straight wheat, but this is definitely not a "normal" wheat. Flavor of chocolate (not overbearing), banana, and...something else. A bit of alcohol as it warms near the end. Definitely tasty, there seems to be a lot here.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, medium to full bodied, filling. A little alcohol burn in the throat on the finish and it warmed my stomach.

Drinkability: A good beer, but it did not leave me wanting another. I don't know if my mood is right or what, but I was satisfied with just this one bottle. I may purchase it again.

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%

25oz dark brown bottle. Freshness date on label.
Pours a dark ruby-hued brown with a thick and lasting beige/tan head with loads of clinging lace.
A big sweet smell of molasses and brown bread, along with smells of cloves, bananas and citrusy hops.
The full malt body carries tastes of toffee, fresh rye bread, molasses, figs, bananas and peppery spices.
A light lemon and lime bitterness and countering pleasant basil-like herbal taste softens the hop bite.
A light sweet rum-like alcohol fuminess lingers in the background.
Nice complex, though well-structured brew!

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Deep caramel color that is a bit cloudy (which I prefer). It has a nice big dirty head and pretty good lacing as I drink it down.

Smell: Sweet and fruity, definitely loaded with wheat.

Taste: Starts out fruity and full of malt, thankfully there isn't an overbearing roasted malt flavor which I sort of expected; it is actually very smooth and complex. There seems to me to be some of the things I like in Belgians in here like fig and light vanilla flavor.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Decent body and fairly clean finish has me giving this an above average drinkability despite the ABV. In fact everyone at the table is eyeing my glass and normally I'd split the second half of this bottle amongst them... Not today! This one came up from Louisiana courtesy of Biglove (Thanks!) and I don't have any spares.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I've had this on tap many times, but this is the first time I've had it from the bottle and thus the first time I am reviewing it. This is one of my personal favs though.

This was poured into a tall hefe glass and exhibited a nice cloudy caramel color at the bottom of the glass and a rich brown at the top. Initial head was nearly white and a about two fingers tall, this settled out to a thin layer of bubbles on top.

Very nice smell, much like a hefe with its banana and clove aromas along with some other hints of dark fruits. This one is slightly different as there is more of an esther aroma and which is well balanced by a bit of wheat and malt.

This one presents itself with clove and bready malts with a typical wheat beer finish. I love this beer because of its simplicity but robust flavors. There is definately some alcohol nuances in the taste and my stomach.

Mouthfeel is full and coats the mouth well. Not much else to say here. Drinkability is only brought down by the alcohol level. I usually get this in the 500mL at the bar and won't have another as I'm usually quite topped off by the fullness of this one.

Overall, a must have. This is a very approachable high abv beer for almost anyone.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

500 mL bottle with a batch code on the back - served slightly chilled in a weizen glass. The initial pour leaves 6 inches of head to 3 inches of beer, but looks very nice the other way around. It takes several minutes to fit the whole bottle into the glass. Before the yeast it is brown with a reddish tint and after it is close to maroon and opaque. Lots of phenols. Bananas, cloves, pepper, lemons, chocolate, alcohol, yeast, and sweet sugary notes in the aroma. It has a medium body, a carbonation that is a bit sharp at the beginning, and leaves a warming sensation. Flavors include bananas, cloves, pepper, grass, caramel, bubblegum, chocolate, raisins, plums?, a sugary sweetness, alcohol, and yeast. A good brew, but, and I don't usually say this, it might benefit from less alcohol. Nevertheless, a tasty beer for the price.

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

This one was so highly touted I had to give it a try.

Pours out an interesting murky brown color that's somewhere between dark iced tea and light cola. Big tan head that was impressively packed made me excited for my first sip.

Smells pretty wheaty, with some overtones of clove, chocolate, alcohol, banana, and even a bit of fresh pear.

Taste is a little bump in the road for me. It has an interesting mix of chocolate, caramel, and some clove and banana flavors I'd kind of expect from the style. My only problem, and I know it's supposed to be strong, is that I feel the alcohol is a bit over-the-top in the flavor. There's a pleasant clove element to the finish, but it's almost completely overpowered by the alcohol. It seemed a little more assertive than the 8% would warrant. Raisiny notes are there and fairly enticing, though.

Overall, I knid of went back and forth on this beer. It looked and smelled great, but then I hated the taste. As it warmed, I started to like it more and more, but it's definitely not one of my new favorites.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

This libation I give full credit to the BA nation for heading me in this direction. As with any new beer, you're not really sure what you're going to get- dark, light, heavy, foamy, whatever.

Poured caramel with an extremely fizzy head. The head eventually settled down to a consistent eight of an inch. Smells of huge berries and alcohol, fortunately the sweetness of the berries is not overpowering in its taste. Grainy and hearty robustness highlight this beers taste.

A wonderfully crafted beer, I will defiantly be looking for this in the future.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured a dark brown. Holding it up to light, one could see that the beer was unfiltered. There was a big head, which dissapated quickly.

The beer smelt of fresh bananas. The beer goes down a treat. Starts off with a fresh banana taste, which then mellows to a slight hoppiness, then a dry finish.

Not over carbonated so you can taste the flavours this beer has to offer.

I really reccommend this beer. Great.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Great weeizenbock, the standard by which others should be judged. Pours a caramel brown into the glass with about 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, some banana. Taste is exquisite. Caramel, toffee, banana, some nice yeasty spiciness. Mouthfeel is full, rich, creamy. A very drinkable beer for a higher ABV.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Just an all around great spring brew. Had the appearance of a bock with the smell and taste of a hefe-weizen. Looked like a coca-cola with a perfectly formed and long lasting white colored head.

Smelled like clove and wheat malt. Very sweet, perfectly spiced, and quite inviting. I could bury my nose in this all night, but eventually I'd end up drinking it all. Tastes like clove as well. The estery banana and bubblegum flavors are perfect. Great light berry flavors. The yeast profile is excellent

The mouthfeel is perfect. Medium to light bodied and well carbonated without being harsh. If I didn't see the 8% on the bottle, I would have thought this was in the high 5 range, because I could drink this all night.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%

Apperance: Hazy brown. It poured with a big frothy head, but it quickly faded.

Smell: Mostly the peppery/clovey phenols typical of German Hefes. A hint of some bock-like charactor. Some alcohol.

Taste: Again with the clove. Some banana. Again typical of Hefes. Wheaty. Rasins of prunes. Alcoholic as it warms a bit.
Really good.

Mouthfeel: Quite full bodied. Velvety smooth. Fairly high carbonation. Alcohol warming near the end.

Drinkability: Man. If you keep these too cold, you could easily drink 2 or 3 of these monsters and end up on your face. The classic example of the style. Outstanding.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

I had begun to lose faith in the wheatier beers, until this one came along. Finally, a wheat beer with some backbone. Pours a cloudy brown color with shades of amber shining through. The same delicate yeasty bananna flavorings are there, yet there's a nice rich malt presence to back it up. Plenty of complex spices and herbalness too. Very cakelike, sugary, and chocolatey, yet with a nice light mouthfeel and overall light vibe. It must be a challenge to brew a beer that is so light in character yet so complex. Bravo.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Presentation: The presentation was good to excellent for both the bottle and the beer. 16.9oz bottle was the last offering left over from BIF18. Was wrapped in commemorative paper bag labeled with events from 1999 and with a descriptive hangtag.

View: Pulled off the purple hangtag and ripped open the paper packaging. Had 1999 stamped on the back label and new and interesting graphics on the front. Poured a cloudy, rustic brown with loads of initial carbonation both in the brew and in the tan head. The head quickly diminished to a very tiny ring. I didn’t take points off for that, since this is an aged product with a relatively high ABV.

Smell: Caramel and dark fruits, not much hops to speak of, with some faint clove spices

Taste: Wheat bread, sweet candy, ripened and dried fruits, and molasses chocolate malts; slight alcohol taste and warmth; a little bit of spices thrown in there too. This is a delicious beer

Mouthfeel: Velvety silky smooth, with some lingering sweetness and buttery texture, like a well-done cordial. Initially very tingly with just the right amount of carbonation

Drinkability: The special 1999 aged Aventinus was a dangerously good beer, reminding me of chunky German wheat bread smothered in fresh spiced honey, one that I would drink again, assuming that I could find it

We sampled this prior to the last sports and social club game of the season for volleyball. We enjoyed the brew, and took the field with smiles on our faces. The game was won, and we were propelled into the finals. Many thanks to goodbyeohio for the hook up of the awesome brew

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Obtained as part of a trade with GClarkage.

This beer was NOT what I expected at first. Of course, no one plans to pour a 22 oz. pilsner glass of head. Just for ha-has, I decided to measure... TEN fingers! Quite amusing.

The aroma was definitely of dark wheat malt... also day-old bread, and acidic fruitiness. A definite yeastiness was there.

The taste was of slightly sweet, heavily carbonated wheat, with bananas, cloves, and yeast. The alcohol was present at the first sip.

I don't know exactly what I expected... I think I presumed it would be darker. It was good, but not as wonderful as I presumed it would be.