Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002

Reviews: 851 | Hads: 2,857
3.92/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Something to try once, the aroma is pretty accurate and enjoyable. Pours light amber with minimal off-white top. Flavor is a little watery - more malt could really enhance this thing. Finish is fairly clean with some lingering banana. This stuff is okay.

3.37/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 500 mL Bottle

A- Pours an Amber colour with a fizzy 1/2 finger head.

S- Candied, Artificial Banana. Not at all what I was expecting.

T- Banana and bready malt with no observable hop presence.

M- Smooth Medium Body and light carbonation. Good fit for the beer.

O- If I would've got the real banana taste I was expecting, I can tell you that I would have rated the beer higher than a 3.5. I personally love anything Banana flavoured and the artificial aroma was a real disappointment.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

A: medium amber, 1 finger fizzy head 3/5
S: banana, yeast, fruitcake 3.5/5
T: banana, cream, roll cake, malt, light hop presence 3/5
M: smooth, light body, light carbonation, slightly warm 2.75/5
O: was't too bad for a novelty beer but one bottle was enough, dull, too thin 3/5

2.8/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Not too sure on the look since it was from a bottle. Smelled only a slight hint of bananna with other ingredients mixed in. The taste was different then I expected with it being dry and mildly sweet. Not a fan of this fruit beer

2.55/5  rDev -27.1%

I expect deep, rich ales when drinking anything banana. This beer fell so short. The banana taste was fake and packed no punch. It was very lack luster and had no complexity. One of the worst fruit beers I had. There was no taste of nut or spice.

3.17/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bottle. Pours a copper color. Aroma is not what I was hoping. I wanted to smell some banana with bread complements. Instead I got a big whiff of artificial Laffy Taffy banana. Not enamored with the nose at all. The flavor was a little less intense but I don't get a banana bread flavor as much as I get a fake banana flavor. Subtle, creamy feel to the body. My hunch that this would be fake-flavored was why I had advoided this beer even though I love banana bread.

4.53/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a nice copper with good carbonation,minimal head that dissipates quickly. Smells of bananas, taste of bananas...I love Bananas.so I love this beer...

3.74/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was very leary about this one but part of me was compelled to try it. I must say, it's not that bad. Poured it into your normal pint glass. The color is golden brown. Nice smell & taste of fresh bananas. The wheat taste wasn't overpowering. Only downside was it didn't keep its chill very long (could have been the person's fridge I was using). That part messed with the taste. I would try another & recommend this to a friend.

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug. Transparent, light yellow color with a one finger head that leaves an inch of lacing. Aroma of banana and candied nuts. Taste is a grainy, semi-sweet banana and bready malt with a smooth, slightly nutty finish. No distinguishable hops. Medium-light body and medium carbonation with no aftertaste. A little too light of a body.
A good banana presence that isn't artificial or chemically. It's a non-traditional beer that excels in being what it advertises itself as. It's a good dessert beer that is very drinkable.

3.26/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The beer does live up to its name. It pours a clear brown with a very thin head and no significant lacing. Strong banana smell. The banana bread taste is there. This is a beer you need to be in the right mood to drink!

3.09/5  rDev -11.7%

Bought locally at a liquor store. The scent of banana is there, for sure, but the taste is nonexistent. Additionally, like some others have mentioned, there's something about the aftertaste that's unpleasant. It's kind of thin and one-note, in my opinion. I bought six different beers on the trip which I tried this out, and I had to make a serious effort for the three additional bottles not to be the last ones in the fridge. It's not the worst beer ever, but I definitely wouldn't purchase it again. I was expecting something deeper, spicier, and richer to back up the banana flavoring, and it just wasn't there. The one good thing I can give it, is that it smelled of real, ripe bananas, and not artificial flavoring. (Artificial banana is THE WORST.)

3.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From bottle, pours clear brown with white head. Aroma is sweet banana candies, foam banana and banana peel. Taste is thin and sweet with banana candy and brown bananas as well as slight malts. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.81/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wasnt quite sure what to expect. Just enough banana bread to stay true to the label but at the time I dont think Id want much more. I dont know about a session but I wouldnt turn one down.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is awesome. Pours a copper with a slight red tint, minimal head. The smell is spicy banana, with breads malts and some toffee behind. The taste is just what it should be. Tastes just like banana bread with just enough alcohol to know your drinking beer. Very on point. Some slight clove flavors as well, definitely Belgian yeast used. A good change up or dessert beer if you can get it fresh.

4.46/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this beer in a liquor store in Portland(Bum City). Apparently it isn't sold anywhere around me and I am disappointed I only got one of these. The taste for me was as close to banana bread that you can probably get. I didn't think it was too over-sweet like a lot of the brewers tend to do. It actually still tasted like beer. Nice smooth texture. I didn't get to pour this beer as I was in a shitty hotel when drinking so I averaged the look of it. The shocktop banana doesn't even touch this. Solid beer, wish I could find more.

4.06/5  rDev +16%

Smells exactly like what you'd expect. It does a good job of keeping the banana flavor as an accent, rather than the main attraction. It makes the beer really mild tasting, and very drinkable. A solid fruit beer.

2.62/5  rDev -25.1%

It was my birthday and decided to try something new. Got excited when I saw this, but was disappointed when it finally tried it. Can't even begin to tell you want it tasted like.

3.89/5  rDev +11.1%

A - Somewhat creamy, off white head. Clear and copper in color. Low to moderate carbonation. 3.75/5

S - Smells like banana bread. Bananas, nutmeg, cloves. Light maltiness. 4/5

T - Tastes like banana bread, just like the aroma. Some light herbal hops. Lingering bitterness and lingering banana flavor. 3.75/5

M - Light bodied but creamy as well. Low carbonation. 4/5

O - Extremely banana-y. Not artificially banana though. Feels very natural. 4/5

2.71/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Brown in color with excellent clarity. A fingernail of light brown is barely present. Plenty of carbonation bubbles erupt from within the beer. Strong aroma of banana flavored candy. The taste is very limp artificial banana candy. Cloying. The body is moderately carbonated and warm.

3.71/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smells like banana bread but the taste and feel don't add up to a good beer. Overall . . . it's just ok. A bit gimmicky. Glad I finally tried it though.

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Undated bottle at Rachel’s Roadhouse into a frosted glass (That’s all we have)
Aroma of banana, doesn’t get stronger as it warms up
Head small (two cm, aggressive pour), off white, frothy, rapidly diminishing to two mm ring and a few small islands of froth
Lacing – none
Body amber-orange, clear
Flavor initially very strong of over-ripe bananas with a solvent after taste. As it warms, the banana flavor drops to a tolerable level and the after taste lessens. No hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 3.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

4.54/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy a wide variety of beer flavors, banana flavored beer is quite delicious. It does taste like banana bread in the after taste. Wells offers other flavorful beers for our tastbud pleasure.

3.85/5  rDev +10%

Love this beer. It isn't too sweet at all and isn't over powered with the banana bread flavoring. Has a unique flavor that is certainly something trying

2.52/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Tastes just like banana nut bread at first. Then it also tastes like club soda. Thin, sometimes fizzy, empty, or diety seeming beer. You do get that quick initial taste of banana nut bread, but I would call it a lightweight banana nut bread wine cooler more than anything. Really, not that impressive.

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer awhile back and it was accurately reminiscent of a legit banana bread fresh out of the oven and I would have given it a 5 but this last bottle I got didn't taste anything like that. It was lacking in flavor. Pretty disappointed.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd