Pilsener - Cervezas Nacionales

Cervezas Nacionales visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 09-18-2003

1.26/5  rDev -59.1%

600 ml. collectors bottle, football edtion, broguht from mt friends from a Tripo to Ecuador.. Pale golden colour, thin head with no retention or lace. Smell pure and simply doesn't exist. Light body, in fact it's like water with some gas. Taste? Some grains and nothing more to add. Don't waste your time.

1.44/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Had this in Ecuador, it was without a doubt the worst beer I have ever had. Unfortunately, it's just about all there is there, such is life.

Appearance: 2.5 - It looks like bud light, pours like it too.
Smell: 2.25 - Smells like cheap beer and sadness
Taste: 1 - the best way I can describe the taste is if you took a keystone and left it in the sun too long.
Mouthfeel: 1 - Way over carbonated and just unpleasant to drink.
Overall: 1.25 - The worst beer I've ever had.

2.23/5  rDev -27.6%

Just another pilsener.
Clear and golden color, covered with a sizeable but quickly settling white frothy head.
Malty and grainy aroma is relatively weak.
Light and watery taste, starts sweet, finishes with a small bitterness. No real aftertaste.
Nothing special, but still drinkable.

2.78/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a glass. From notes.

White head fades fast. Lots of effervescence very pale yellow.
Sweetish and grainy, but not entirely unpleasant.
One of the many, many generic lagers in the world. It's saddening, but unsurprising. That said, it's not actively BAD. Just, dull. The taste, such as it is, is ephemeral, leaving nothing but an objectionable sweetness.
Not even watery as much as bland. Goes down smooth with a hint of carbonation and touch of dryness
It is what it is. Not recommended, but when in Ecuador...

2.85/5  rDev -7.5%

This is pretty much an average beer in every way. I drank a ton of these while on a 10 day trip to Ecuador/The Galapagos... it cost as much as the bottled water and went down pretty easily with most of the meals we had there. It pours a pale gold with a very thin head/minimal lacing. The smell... nothing to write home about. The taste is light... hints of macro corn and no hops worth mentioning. It gets some sentimentality points for reminding me of an awesome vacation, but really I can't say that this is significantly better than the Victorias or Coronas I downed in Mexico. It probably didn't help that the 'best by' dates had pretty much universally been passed (my fellow travelers laughed at me for checking... proving their beer IQ's). In sum... easily drinkable, as cheap as the water, and a solid vacation/beach/Ecuador adventure beer. Nothing to recommend it beyond that.

2.94/5  rDev -4.5%

Cerveza Pilsener pours a pale golden color with a thick, fluffy, white head from a brown 19.5 ounce bottle. There is a very mild aroma, a bit of adjunct. The taste is definitely toward your typical latin American beer. A bit of corn is most noticeable, it gets a bit grassier as it warms. No worse than Corona, perhaps significantly better. Very light bodied. You could do worse.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brought some back from Ecuador after having some bombers there. Smells macro like corn. Pours to a very light almost clear yellow. Taste is very dry not much sweetness and only a little bitterness. Not much backbone here but for the style it tastes true. Mouthfeel is good, good carbonation but not too sparkly. Drinkability is good I could drink this all day long. I recommend this beer with barbecued lamb, the dryness tempers the strong meat flavor.

3.07/5  rDev -0.3%

Drank from a bottle at Hotel Quito, Quito, Ecuador
Served in a pint glass

Pale golden yellow and absolutely crystal clear in appearance. Aggressive streams of bubbles ascended to the top of the glass. The liquid was topped by a super dense and frothy, bright white head that lasted for most of the drink. A think blanket of lacing stuck along the bottom third of the glass.

The nose was very faint initially but came out more as the beer warmed. Some grainy, biscuity malts were noticeable. Slightly skunky with a kiss of herbal hops.

The flavor profile was somewhere between an American macro lager and a mediocre pilsener. Grainy with some crackery, pale malts up front. Grassy, Noble hops appeared in the dry and slightly bitter finish. Overall, not very complex but definitely thirst quenching and easy drinking.

The mouthfeel was the one aspect of this beer that really missed the mark however. It was quite thin and over carbonated with a prickly effervescence. I definitely found it distracting.

With "Pilsener" and "Club" as the only two beer options at most bars and restaurants, Ecuador is certifiably a beer wasteland. Regardless, I drank many a bottle of Pilsener over my two-week trip and found it to be quite refreshing.

3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

This is one of the few beers you can reliably get in Ecuador, and pretty much the only beer you can get in the Galapagos, where I stayed for a few weeks. That said, there are worse beers you could be stuck with in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Pours cleanly, with a decent head. Crisp clear yellow with typical macro carbonation. Smells like a macro, with typical corn adjuncts but not a lot of funk, thankfully. Taste is on the higher end of your typical macro brew, dry and crisp with a decent bite. Thankfully, the actual carbonation isn't overwhelming like you'd get in a Bud Light or such, so mouthfeel is good.

Overall, very drinkable on a hot day. While I don't expect to be sending off to Ecuador for a case, I would readily choose this over the typical American macros. It paired well with just about everything I ate over there -- mostly rice, seafood and chicken.

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

I enjoyed vast quantities of this beer on a recent trip to Ecuador. It pours much like any American macro lager beer, pale straw, very clear, with plenty of tiny bubbles. Decent head retention. Little smell, but had more "beer" flavor than many similar American beers. Cheap price, large bottles, and low alcohol content combined to make drinkability excellent. Much better than Brahma (another popular beer in Ecuador) IMO. One note: this beer must be enjoyed cold; harsh slightly skunky flavors started to come out as it warms to the temperature at which I enjoy darker beers.

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

I just returned from a week long kayaking trip in Ecuador and drank more of this stuff than I would care to admit.

For a macro produced lager (did not seem like a Pilsner at all) it really is pretty good. There is nothing offensive about this beer, but on the other hand there is nothing that will blow you away either. That said, I think I would drink this over Budweiser but since I could not do a side by side comparison I'll never know for sure.

I'm not going to get in to commenting on tastes because you probably know what you are getting when it comes to a mass produced light beer.

Where Pilsener gets you is the drinkability. This stuff goes down easier than water and when you are in Ecuador, that is probably a good thing.

Just remember one thing when traveling South America: Beer good, water bad.

3.58/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My wife brought this back for me. It pours up crystal clear, light blonde in color, with a medium size foamy head. The smell is weak with a hint of corn. The taste is very mild and one dimensional. There is virtually no aftertaste. Overall this is an easy drinker if completely unremarkable.

3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Clearly printed expiration date of 5/12/2006.
I'm rating this as a light lager (from what I could see on the company's website this is 4.2 percent alcohol by volume, and this was submitted to beeradvocate as one) even though I was hoping for a pilsner.. does light pilsner deserve its own category?
Nothing to write home about as a beer but pretty good for a light lager.
Medium bodied for the style... kinda malty, not too hoppy at all.
Has a funny aftertaste/mouthfeel that I recall getting from Amstel Light.
Maybe it's nutrasweet.
Not a craft beer by any stretch of the imagination, not really a pils at all...
but if you dig light beer, this is easily worth a try.

3.68/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours smooth and light with decent head. Smell is bland, flavor is light with little aftertaste. The real kicker with this beer is the hoppy residue it leaves behind in your mouth. Much more than would be expected from such a light beer.

3.69/5  rDev +19.8%

A - Pours a pale straw color, surprisingly clear and a typical head that dissipates quickly.

S - Given its American counterparts, the smell was clean and a little more classic for a pilsner.

T - Surprised here, this beer had a much better handle on the Czech pilsner taste than I was expecting.

M - Tropical region thirst quenching, nothing special.

D - I give it better than average marks for tasting more authentic than American or Canadian pilsners.

I received this bottle from a friend who is from Ecuador. I expected a typical American adjunct taste, but I was quite surprised to discover a much more classic pilsner taste than anything North America Macro Brew has to offer. It reminded me very much of Urquell, but smoother. I could find myself seeking this out on vacation in South America.

3.7/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The old school bottles are cool. Otherwise, pours a light straw yellow with a flimsy head that dissipates quickly.
S: Not much smell there. Mainly dough and grains.
T: Unlike most other light lagers I've had, it doesn't leave much of an unpleasant skunky aftertaste. Pretty watery and grainy overall with a bit of nuttiness reminiscent of maybe a Gruyere cheese at the end.
M: Less carbonation that Club, and for that reason, a bit easier to drink and enjoy.
D: In terms of light lagers, probably one of the better ones I've had. I'd say comparable to a Corona Light.

3.77/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I live in Ecuador, so you might think this is not a fair review, but I will try to be as objective as possible

from the moment you pour it, you can see a fantastic golden body, medium head.
Not too carbonated as the other beers from the same company. If properly cold this could easily be one of the best of its kind. Unfortunately for some reason most places in Ecuador don't serve it that way.
Smell its nice and honestly more better than its flavor.

3.8/5  rDev +23.4%

I like the smell of this beer. A Heineken-like burst of stinky hops escapes from underneath the bent lid. Once in the echo-chamber giant wine bowl, aromas of toasted masa and butter appear as well.
A creamy, slick texture provides dry, tart, ripe, grain flavors and adequate mineral vertibration. Sweet, peachy fruit -- dunked in honey -- and fermented absolutely dry make's this repeatable. Simple, sun-roasted herbs accompany the fruit. A bit of neutral (not nasty, not benign) sewer stink occurs on the finish. In country I might darn well cozy up to this lager. I'm shocked and amazed. I never should have put this sample off, though, to be honest, a string of bad experiences from south of the border had traumatized my palate.

3.95/5  rDev +28.2%

I told my wife I would do this review, so here goes nothin.

Poured from a 750 in to a small glass.

The color is golden yellow with a tint of orange. The head is fizzy and white. It appears as fast as it disappears.

Smells of corn malts and a touch of hops. Nice balance between the 3. Fresh

The taste is good especially when very cold. Lots of carbonantion.

I've had worse in the states (BMC), but this super cold on the beach with a ceviche is dynamite.

Pilsener from Cervezas Nacionales