Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 5,132
1.42/5  rDev -52.8%

A: Extremely typical macro-brewed lager appearance: Clear straw yellow with some frothy white head.

S: Very strange artificial yeast smell with a good helping of cooked veggies. It became nauseating to dwell on the smell.

T: Again, the nauseating yeast flavor with lots of corn and a metallic aftertaste.

M: Crisp; frothy head gave it a odd coffee-foam like texture though.

D: Easily one of the toughest beers for me to choke down. I can't find much good to say about this beer but I'll refrain from bashing it.

1.43/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

4.9% ABV, 355ml can.
juz a lighter version of any other crappy cheap lager, similar taste. but u have to have them in our life, right? especially after whole day work, refreshing when it's freezed!

1.45/5  rDev -51.8%

First had: can from some dude's cooler.

Yay! Cheap beer!

Pours a pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates to a fizzy layer of bubbles. Weak aroma of corn and grains, memories of pitchers and cheap dates. Tastes the same: corn, grains, watered down grass juice with the possibility of a hop sneaking in. Light mouthfeel, and goes down eeeeaaasssyyyy and ends with regret, but a still-full wallet. Should be avoided unless absolutely necessary and/or you're broke.

1.45/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I'm sorry, but it's all I can do to keep from laughing at the new found "hipness" of PBR.

The beer pours a light gold color with virtually no head retention or lacing. Eeeeehaaaa!!! We be in for one fine tasting beer here. On the nose... nose??? aroma??? What in the hell are we talking about? I get nothing, other then a hint of seltzer water and corn. At least there aren't any off aromas, so I guess I should be thankful for that. As for flavor, there is almost none. I highly recommend that you drink this as cold as you can get it, preferably somewhere close to freezing. There is some corn and seltzer water on the palate, though again, I get no off flavors. Mouthfeel epitomizes the expression "watery." Yeah baby, we're talking lawn mower beer here. Ideally this beer should be consumed in 100 degree weather, served ice cold, and consumed only after 4 or 5 hours of yard work. Drinkability? Hey, I love a good joke as much as the next guy. There is nothing enjoyable about drinking this swill, and the fact it has become trendy of late doesn't change that one bit.

This is a terrrible beer, and the fact there is worse out there doesn't make it any more deserving of praise. Absolute swill. As one complimentary reviewer mentioned, the empties are great for target practice the next morning. Frankly, I can't see any reason to make them empties. Full of beer or empty, target practice is all cans of this swill is good for. Don't kid yourself with the hype. This is not even remotely close to decent beer.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can: Poured a very light yellow color beer with a medium white bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of corn and adjunct is not surprisingly dominating. Taste is as bland as it can be done with no aftertaste at all (which is probably the purpose but does not provide me with any satisfaction.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the shittiest beers out there, i cant stand the after taste , that after taste you get just ruins it for me , all you get is corn and metallic taste , never buying this corn cooler again. I would much perefer a budweiser or busch to this at least your not geting that terrable after taste

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about.

Good ol' PBR.

Pours out a very bright and clear yellow with a little bit of white head.

The aroma is slightly malty with hints of grains.

The taste is much the same as the aroma. There is a slight hint of malt along with a taste of grains whether it's rice or corn or both.

Very light and easy to drink, but the flavor is nothing to write home about. Better than some other macro lagers, but not by much.

1.51/5  rDev -49.8%

Pours a simple light copper with a thin white head and no lcaing whatsoever. Smells like a decent macro-lager, but nothing special. Tastes like water with a pinch of grain mixed in. No complexity, and no flavor. So bland I could barely finish it. I used to like this is, but no more. Avoid.

1.53/5  rDev -49.2%

When first pouring from it's can, the foam was a very light wheat color/ almost white that dissapated quickly followed by the pale malt aroma with a metallic tone (probably from the can). Taste - It has mostly a crisp light malt taste that feels watered down with also metallic flavor.
A friend of mine drinks this beer often and offers me one now and then. At first I tried to get used to the taste(if you call it that). But now I can't stand it. It's probably one of the worst beers I've had.

1.53/5  rDev -49.2%

A Pale yellow and fairly translucent. Light white and utterly lacking retention with a permanent sticky lace

S Weak notes of hopps and grain

T Very hoppy with almost no grain. Weak and watery with a hint of tin foil. Yes. Tin foil.

MF A bit harsh and soapy.

Drinkability is fairly low. The sour bitter sting of hopps seems not quite right.

Overall this beer is not something i'd buy, but I still like it over other macros such as the dreaded bud. If nothing else i'll drink it in honor of blue velvet. PBR!

1.53/5  rDev -49.2%

There is no reason anyone should pay to drink PBR. Even for college students buying a keg, I would be embarrased to tell people I bought this beer. It stinks and tastes foul. Its only saving grace is when the beer comes from a bar tap, possibly because it is fresher (I hope), but coming from a can, run from this beer.

With other options on the grocery shelf--namely Miller High Life and Milwaukee Best Light--the low price is not even a saving grace. Some people get used to the taste from buying the cheap beer on the shelf, but I honestly can't support anyone even 'tasting' this beer.

1.55/5  rDev -48.5%

Can poured into a lager glass.

Appearance - White one finger head with good retention. Super pale straw body.

Smell - Stale cardboard.

Taste - Dry. Metallic. Horrible even for an AAL.

Mouthfeel - Watery mess.

Overall Drinkability - Crap. No real redeeming qualities besides the price. Even that doesn't balance out the worthiness of this brew.

1.56/5  rDev -48.2%

I do not see what the hype is about this beer aside from the fact that its cheap. But so are Natural light and Milwaukee's best. It tastes salty and does not feel good on the palate. It sets really heavy too. I will spend the extra money to get a better quality beer any day.

1.58/5  rDev -47.5%

My first PBR in decades:
Ap. Pale yellow with a small head that just got smaller in a hurry. No lacing.
Sm. Beer. Cheap. Grains, smells yellow!, corn? earth? Got it!!! It smells like Wisconsin in the summer of '72!
Ta. See above. A bit harsh.
Mf. Very very little mouthfeel. Like drinking a beer flavored glass of water.
Dr. If necessary. Aah, memories....

1.58/5  rDev -47.5%

Serving from the pint cans normally found in the grocery store in a glass mug.

Ap: Very typical and generic adjunct lager transparent straw yellow. Virtually no lacing and a tiny amount of head that lasts no longer than a fart.

Ar: I don't grasp any significant smell. Just a metallic and faint odor of lackluster corn/syrup smell. Void of character.

Ta: This is where it becomes rather interesting. While you would expect the typical adjunct lager criticism, it is a refreshing beer. However, it is short lived as the beer becomes warm. Drinking a pint's worth diminishes the value of the beer since it requires you chug the beer. Thus the infamy of the beer that it is the perfect college/frat boy beer. You need to consume it fast and in large quantities to enjoy. This is not a sipping beer. You'll gather flavors of the typical corn adjuncts and very metallic aftertastes.

Mf: It's in my mouth...it's like a very inexpensive champagne. The carbonation is mild and you must decide whether to spit it out or swallow it quickly. You're SOL either way so you may as well swallow it.

Ov: It lacks true character, true distinguishable flavor and is nothing more than a party beer, beginner beer or beer of choice to ensure everyone in the party gets wasted. Once you develop a true appreciation for beer, it becomes difficult to indulge in PBR. Leave it for the rookies, but if you must drink it, drink it super cold and very quickly.

1.6/5  rDev -46.8%

ah, the classic hipster drink.

well, considering the metal tap and mouth opening makes the brunt of the taste I would say this is worse than the bud cans. the feel and colour and the drinkability is the same in comparison to the standard nonlight versions of the macros.

1.63/5  rDev -45.8%

Light yellow color with a head the quickly dissipates into nothing. Smell is bursting with grainy maltiness and skunk. You can almost see the old guys in the ice house. A very grainy, malty flavor. No hops traces at all. This is not a very good beer. Not a good value, either, at $7.99 for a 12 pack.

1.64/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Bright pale straw color. White 2 finger head lasting around 3 minutes. Average legs and activity.

Faint aromas and flavors of corn, citrus and sugar. A lot more bitter than sweet, slightly vinous.

Slick light body with prickly carbonation. Faint finish, but quite long, ending with a dry bitter smoky roasted corn aftertaste and fake sweetness.

Overall : Fresh but bland and overly accessible. Too bitter for a lager in my taste.

1.65/5  rDev -45.2%

I got really thirsty at a volleyball tournament before coming home to a PBR ... probably a good idea.

Pours with a big ugly head that drops quickly but, to its credit, leaves an good layer on top and some lace around the edges. Very pale yellow, few bubble columns .. eh.

Smells like corn and adjuncts. At least it doesn't smell very strongly... no hops or "malts" in the traditional sense.

Taste is gross. Bad corn and that overpowering taste that is in the worst of beers, the one that makes you flinch and make a face. Is that just "adjuncts?" Bitter finish that encourages puking.

Hard to separate the mouthfeel from the taste, but I don't think it's that bad. Starts off too bubbly, gets flatter as it warms, so according to the intermediate value theorem, there has to be a good balance in there somewhere. Still nothing pleasant.

I feel I should give some sympathy points on drinkability. It is cheap, although not especially for the style "American Macro Lager." About average for the field of extremely cheap beer. For a beer that's meant to get you trashed, I wish the finish weren't so gross ... it encourages vomiting when you want to keep it down.

I'll drink it at college parties, and it's maybe a step above Milwaukee's Best or Natty.

1.67/5  rDev -44.5%

I encounter this garbage all the time at parties and it is absolutely atrocious in every way imaginable. I will never understand the love for this beer. One day when I was six years old I drank cat urine because these older kids dared me to do so, and it just so happens that the consumption of this abomination of a beer acts as a time warp back to that day. I'm saying PBR tastes like cat urine. It truly does. The appearance of the beer is very unsettling even when I'm drunk. If I look at it, the liquid itself (not to mention the can), makes me feel uneasy and nauseous.

The smell is horrid, though admittedly it is not as bad as the aroma of cat urine (leave that to the taste). The mouthfeel is just plain bad. And, making things worse, PBR is entirely unchuggable- leaving the presence of PBR and the absence of every other beer at parties extremely devastating.You can't even chug it because the taste is so painful to the tongue. It is low content, making the suffering of drinking it practically pointless.

If you want a crappy American beer, choose Busch.

1.68/5  rDev -44.2%

Very light-bodied and pale. It has a very grainy aroma and taste. Really not much flavor but that was expected. Doesn't go down all that smooth either making it really a beer I'll probably stay away from. It is cheap enough so if you're strapped for cash and want a cheap drunk, be my guest.

1.69/5  rDev -43.9%

Not a bad macro lager and a good deal at $30 a keg. This is a good one to drink if you don't want to experience much. It is golden yellow with a tan head. Not much of a smell. Some bad hops. The taste is very neutral. Not as bad a most of this style. Feel is very light with ample carbonation. No bad off flavors, but not much flavor at all either.

1.7/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

At first I was somewhat surprised that this beer seemed drinkable. I wasnt expecting much, but the first few drinks werent that bad. It kind of reminded me of a Miller High Life Light at first. But as I went on, this beer got worse and worse. It gradually started tasting just awful. I found that strange as beer usually tastes better and better the more I drink. Anyways, it looked like piss, did not have hardly any smell, and the only noticable tastes were a bit of bread and a few grains. Nothing special at all. This is not even worth picking up if its the only thing you can afford. Better off sticking with Busch Light or even Natural Light. This beer flat out sucks!

1.73/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. can
I tried to find something good in this and I couldn't. The only thing that was ok was the appearance. It was a pale yellow color that somewhat of a head of foam on it. No smell, except maybe some grains. No taste, not even malt. It was just water with a watery mouthfeel. The drinkability is high for me because this some of the cheapest beer on the market and it shows it. The can made me laugh because it said it was made with some of the finast ingredients and voted America's best beer in 1893. A good beer maybe in that year, but thats over 110 years ago. Drink if free.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company