Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Darkmagus82 on 10-28-2013

Reviews by JackMcAwesome:
3.9/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My wife picked this up because she couldn't remember me having it. (Living the good life I am!)

Look: Pretty decent looking brew. The label is a typical majestic Blue Moon label, "Limited Release" stamped on the top. Which always makes me sad. It pours a dark golden brown, with a one finger head that has since dissipated to a thin ring. Lacing is minimal, which is a shame, because lacing always reminds me of winter. And I think it'd be great to have a lot on this one.

Smell: Ginger right off the bat. A whole lot of ginger. As it warmed up, the cinnamon decided to show up, which just brings about memories of Christmas, and all that fun stuff. Maybe because I've had a ton of pumpkin beers here of late, but I feel like there is some nutmeg there too. The aroma died off about midway through, and that bums me out.

Taste: The tongue is definitely picking up the nutmeg. The ginger is the most prevalent and it finishes with the cinnamon. I was curious about the hops the use, so I had to look it up. They use Hallertau which I admittingly know nothing about, so a new experience there.

Feel: Medium. The carbonation is there, but it is pretty well balanced with a syrup like texture. No trace of alcohol that I can tell.

Overall: Not a bad brew at all. I like to visit Blue Moon and Sam Adams from time to time to acknowledge my roots. And again, I had my wife looking out for me, and this was a very welcome beer. I wish it got cold here so I could really feel at home, but this gets me close. Maybe it's the label, maybe it's the ginger and cinnamon, but there is definitely a bit of nostalgia with this one. I'd grab a six if it were offered. Improvements could be amping up the lacing, and the aroma not falling off.

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

3.4/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Light brown in color with excellent clarity. There's a fingernail of light beige head sporadically found on the top. I smell caramel and ginger. When I taste it I detect dull notes of ginger and caramel, with the ginger notes picking up considerably at the back of the palate. The body is moderately carbonated and the ginger tingles the taste buds.

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

2.78/5  rDev -18%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank from bottle. Slightly off color than what I expected. It smelled like gingerbread with hints of cinnamon. It smells like what the label is promising. Although it smelled good, it was overly sweet and unbalanced. Sweet upfront and a little metallic on the back end. A little lighter than what I expected from an amber. I normally like spiced beers, but this didn't do it for me. Just average.

2.76/5  rDev -18.6%

3.79/5  rDev +11.8%

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

2.88/5  rDev -15%

4.06/5  rDev +19.8%

Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale brewed by Coors Brewing Company, with an ABV of 5.90% This brew pours out a nice light brown color , with an off white head. The smell is rich with sweetness and spices. Gingerbread Spiced Ale puts you in the mind of Christmas cookies, not saying that is a bad thing. You also pick up on some gains in the taste of this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. At the end of the is brew there is a nice smoothness. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. Coors Brewing Company did a nice job with this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would get this brew again.

2.25/5  rDev -33.6%

3.02/5  rDev -10.9%

Had a few of these in one session. It's amber in color and clear and has a 2 finger head that quickly dissipates. Aroma of nutmeg, ginger & cinnamon? Tastes like it was intended, like a gingerbread inside a German wheat, not bitter at all. Carbonation was minimal and the beer was smooth & surprisingly easy to drink. I thought it would be too sweet but it wasn't

2.7/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -18.6%