Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 520 | Hads: 1,988
2.64/5  rDev +45.1%

I had a few of these with my coworkers (carpenters) after work today, they think it's fantastic - "much better than coors light because it's less bitter." whatever that means.

basically this beer tastes and smells like water, although when i strained very hard i think i might have tasted the hops that they waved over the top of the vat, but maybe that was just my imaginiation filling in what should have been there. drinkability is high beacause it is as drinkable as spring water.

basically, this is a completely unoffensive and extremely boring beer. big thumbs down.

1.6/5  rDev -12.1%

What can I say about Natty.Only that i despise it. As a college student I must say that I frequently drink this beer. However, this is only because its free, and when i really want to get drunk its the cheapest solution there is. At about 16 dollars for a case it usually gives me about two good nights.

The appearance of this beer is not very impressive. It looks like piss with a soapy looking head (if you could call it that).

The beer dosn't have anything outstanding about its smell, or its taste. It smells and tastes like cheap beer. Actually this beer tastes like a very small amount of beer (perhaps bud) mixed with flat seltzer water.

On the palate this beer, as i said feels like flat tonic water. As for the drinkability, I wouldn't pay for it and don't drink it unless its free, or unless there is a party and I have to buy. I mean I'm not going to spend alot of money on good beer at a party where I'm not going to drink 100% of the beer I buy.

I really am not sure what the "brewmasters" of this beer were going for when they discovered natty, but I think that they did a good job of making a really cheap, shitty, popular (among college students) beer that pulls in alot of profit.

1.9/5  rDev +4.4%

It tastes like carbonated water with a little beer flavoring added. The metal taste from the can actually enhances the taste. It tastes even worse when poured into a glass because the aluminum flavor is taken away. This beer is the very definition of cheap swill.

1.1/5  rDev -39.6%

I really tried hard to drink this with a straight face but I simply couldn't. I poured it into my glass and it looked like water with a slight amount of piss or something light yellow in there. Not really any head or carbonation showing. Smelled nothing. Tasted nothing. I got out a glass of water and drank them side by side. Almost no difference, I'm not joking. Terrible stuff. Might be good for beer pong if you're too poor to buy Busch light or High Life. This is not good.

1.4/5  rDev -23.1%

Surprisingly, Nati-Light may actually be better than a lot of A-B's beers. Not because it's better tasting beer, it's because the bad flavors are less pronounced here than in many other of their beers. Having said that, this is a bad beer. It has a vague yellow color, overcarbonated and cannot retain a foamstand. Has almost no presence to the nose. Flavors are nill. Slight (and I do mean slight) grain flavor and metalic tones. Everything disapears to a watery gulp. Absolutely nothing in the finish or aftertaste. My advice, drink only when free, and nothing better is within a day's drive.

1.4/5  rDev -23.1%

I have 5 words to describe this beer : Seltzer water in a can. This beer taste like carbonated water with a faint taste of alcohol. I seriously had to drink about 12 beers to get anywhere close to where i wanted to be. I'll Tell you i had to whizz about a good 15 times that night. If you want to drink a beer dont waste your time with this water in a can. Have a natural ice or be a big boy and have a good ole Steel 211. Leave this beer to the amateurs

2.12/5  rDev +16.5%

Rate Nattie Light? Why? Because it's been a long day and I felt like having a beer while I do a crossword puzzle to unwind. I found this can in my parents' fridge, leftover from a case someone brought to a barbecue earlier in the summer. In the end, all beers deserve a fair shake from someone who will give an objective rating.

Served at fridge temperature in a pint glass.

A - When you talk about piss-yellow beer, this is what is being referred to. Extremely pale straw yellow with a decent, but quick head that disappears to not even so much as a thin film after only 15 seconds. No lacing. Almost no effervescent action inside the glass. Tsk tsk.

S - Adjuncty metallic nose with sweet, corny overtones. Some distinguishable maltiness. A trace of aromatic hops. This is the characteristic smell that makes beer haters hate beer.

T - Pale malty sweetness up front that ushers in a metal-laced, watery and bland middle. Very quick grainy finish unencumbered by any hop personality. Extremely light. Unimpressive for the style.

M - Comes into the mouth like watery seltzer. A quick tingle on the tongue, then the carbonation steps down during the swallow. Fairly smooth and not drying. Decent for the style.

D - Unfortunately, there are many obvious things about this beer that keep it from being as good as other competitors in the same category. While the mouthfeel is average, the sickly appearance coupled with the lackluster smell and taste keep this beer from being an asset (term used loosely) in the Light Lager class. It's drinkable, but for the same price, there are better alternatives.

NOTE: Regardless of this beer's low ranking (from me), it does have it's place! This beer is a good bet for beer pong and beer bongs, both of which are better when you don't have to worry about caring much about the beer you're drinking.

1.3/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

An almost transparent yellow color with a one finger head. Goes from white fizz to busy carbonation almost instantly and leaves no lacing. Light, watery body. Very faint off malt smell, mostly adjunct. Metallic off-taste is just about the only flavor. But it's wide availability and low price make it a staple of american college keg parties.

2.09/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance - Exceptionally pale yellow. I had to take this into a room with better light to make sure it had any color. Soapy foam head disappears in seconds. Well below average and less than appetizing.

Smell - Very light macro/adjunct smell. Regular for a light lager.

Taste - Very light and watery. Sweet and adjuncty flavor. Hops flavor in this one ranges to none. It is pretty dry, crisp, watery, if that's your thing. All in all, very little beer flavor. Not offensive.

Mouthfeel - Quite watery. Probably a bit more watery than most lights. Mine seems a little flat.

Drinkability - It doesn't actively offend, so you could do worse. Lack of beer-like charactaristics, however, make this one strictly for the non-beer drinker. Taste borders on the ultralight (i.e. Mich Ultra, Bud Select).

2.28/5  rDev +25.3%

Here's my review on another big player. I give it a try and I hope that I would get sorta satisfied (really not sure yet...).

Appearance: It pours a dark straw yellow with a pour white head.

Smell: The usual macro aroma. Not much else to add here.

Taste: It tastes way too light for me. It seems to have reduced beer in water. It lacks flavour, but anyway its shy taste is too much macro for me.

Mouthfeel: It is watery, but compared to others light beers it is not that bad, it got some carbonation and mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I am happy to have reviewed this college classic, even if I would always find something else with more bang for my buck.

4.64/5  rDev +154.9%

When you originate from a country where most beer costs $35 a case (Australia), you can appreciate a drink that can (attempt to) hit the spot (somewhat) and leaves you with extra bucks in your pocket. Natural Light accepts the challenge. When drinking crap beers, I have to believe that no taste at all is better than a shit taste? This brew delivers! When you employ the one in, one out, rotation from the freezer, it can't be beat! I have drunk many of your shitter brands and declare this one to be the gold medal winner at the Special Olympics of beer! True enough, it's competitors harbor some serious disabilities, but "Natty" shines through.
Only 95 calories, for the healthy minded. (I heard Micheal Jordan endorses this beer!) All that said, my hats off to you Natty Light! Despite the fact you had horrible parents (Anheuser/Busch), you rose above your upbringing and delivered dirt cheap, drinkable beer to those who needed it most...all of us!
P.S. Any of you who label it a "Just getting Wasted" beer, should be ashamed of yourselves at 4.2%...unless of course you're venturing into 15+ can territory?!
Take it easy boys and girls!

1.53/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Consumed straight from the can. White foam bubbled up as I cracked open the tab. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Carbonation provides some texture toward the back of the tongue. Thin grainy taste with some residual sweetness. Weak hop flavor is detectable toward the back. Finish is dry and weak, with some more of the lingering grainy taste that was present upfront. A terribly bland light beer.

1.15/5  rDev -36.8%

A friend on mine from Florida thought it'd be nice to remind me what it was like back in the boons. I got to pour it out in a flimsy plastic cup and I'm not sur if it was transparent or not but it was sure close even with it's overly fluffy useless smelly head. It smelled like preserve or something, I can't place it. I guess if it's server near freezing you won't notice it has NO friggin' taste. I'd be better off using it as solvent. Water thin at best. Really bad beer. Amazing I ever had some even years ago and didn't notice.

1.58/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. can, "born on" 5/9/05 - served chilled in a mug. Pours about the palest yellow you can get and it's topped with a 2 finger, white head that leaves some lacing. Metal and ass in the aroma. Almost no flavor except for the adjunct and metal. This is an "it'll get you drunk" beer, but that's about it.

1.5/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 12 oz. can with the well-known “born on” date on the bottom.

Appearance: Excessively pale, transparent yellow. Sadly, there is little head to speak of and it dissipates quickly after pouring. I’ve heard some liken Natty Light’s appearance to city water, but that’s an offense to tap water in Richmond. While saying it looks painful to drink may be extreme, it cannot be far off.

Smell: Cooked grain and what seems to be corn dominate the aroma of this beer. Even at 4.2%, you can smell the alcohol in this one.

Taste: Low on the malts, low on the hops. The corn smell carries over into the flavor and dominates the beer. The aftertaste is sweet and somewhat metallic. it. In all honesty, it tastes like lightly malted water.

Mouthfeel: Apart from the extremely thin body, there is little carbonation in this beer. The result is something in between beer and water. I’m thinking it is closer to the latter.

Drinkability: From my past college years, I’ve heard this beer called “Beast” repeatedly. I’m not sure if it’s quite that offensive (maybe the hangovers are), but I can barely call it beer. This is something that frat boys need to practically freeze and drink very quickly, as if it’s a malt liquor. If you want a light beer, stick to something better like Sam Adams light.

2.13/5  rDev +17%

Appearance - Very, very pale, and crystal clear. Not much head to speak of, and it did not last long.

Smell - The beer has a light grainy smell, and that "American lager" that I cannot really put a finger on. No hop aroma.

Taste - There is not a lot of flavor in this beer, and there is only a minimal aftertaste. No detectable hop presence. I would desribe the taste as faintly grainy. It does not taste bad. This beer might not be half bad if the grain bill was beefed up.

Mouthfeel - Minimal body. The carbonation adds a little feel, but this beer is otherwise very watery.

Drinkability - This beer is easy to drink. Too easy. The only thing that slows me down is the carbonation. I don't get much enjoyment at all from drinking this beer.

Comments - Crisp, pretty clean, and refreshing. It's a shame a beer with these positive characteristics still falls flat.

1.52/5  rDev -16.5%

You know it is bad when you have to look at the can again to make sure you are drinking beer. This is a very sharply carbonated beer that reminds me of alka-seltzer. Relatively shallow flavor that resembles cornflakes, and kinda a pale finish, not too much after-taste. There really isn't too much to say for taste because it just plain lacks it.

I don't know why this beer is popular on college campuses when there are cheaper beers out there that taste better.

2.15/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I accidentally clicked "cask-conditioned". Good thing I saw that and corrected it. Whew!

Leftover from a gag at a blind tasting party I had a few weeks ago, this beers pours into the pilsener glass with a soda pop style head that dissipates slightly slower than Dr. Pepper. I've seen darker ginger ales. The beer is almost clear. The smell hit me from a foot away. Overcooked corn, old piss beer smell. Taste was typical for a light adjunct lager, in other words, not much of a taste, except for that beer soda bubbles on the tongue feel. Crispy finish, which is what truly separates it from the typical soft drink, but not enough to separate it from a club soda. You can drink these. They're certainly cheap enough.

I tried to pass it off to the wife as an example of a Blonde Ale. She looked at it, smelled it, sipped it, and said, 'It's ok, I guess. Tastes like a regular lager." She had even less of it than I did and left it on the counter. I was so proud of her. She's coming right along on this clandestine beer appreciation project.

2.39/5  rDev +31.3%

Smells of crap white wine. This is possibly the lightest beer I have ever contemplated. Head dissipates pretty quickly leaving rim around glass. Taste is similar to nose. I actually don't mind the feel of these cheap brews, and after a while they are very drinkable despite their mediocrity.

Decent for cheap alcoholic bliss: as bland as beer gets.

2.6/5  rDev +42.9%

Rating this beer as terrible because it tastes like water is an injustice. It is what it is. Take a carload to the beach on spring break and you're in business. If you are relaxing for a night of sampling this isn't for you because it tastes like T Total shit. If you're trying to get wasted on a budget then what are your alternatives? I love beer with the best of them but you won't see me stumbling down the beach with a St. Bernardus anytime soon. I'll have a Natty Light thank you very much.

Appearance: Lighter than urine, darker than water.

Smell: See above

Taste: See above

Mouthfeel: See above

Drinkability: Have to be cut off to quit drinking this stuff.

1.78/5  rDev -2.2%

man this beer sucks, and i actually poured it in a glass....
pours light clear yellow with a white head that vanishes better than houdini.
smells almost like nothing, maybe a tiny bit of yeast and a little bit of skunk's butt.
taste is just like the smell, almost nothing, very watery but there does seem to be a slightly bitter aftertaste.
mouthfeel is very thin and watery with a few bubbles.
despite how crappy this beer is, it is actually very drinkable. it's really cheap and goes down like water. low ABV makes it easy to drink all night. after a few it really does taste like water. if you drink a lot of it just beware that it has been known to cause a stomach condition on the following day known as the "natty splatties".

1.13/5  rDev -37.9%

In a 12 oz can. Not exactly willing to pour this, as it's a 'swill and drop' beer. I try not to smell it often, but it does have a metallic nose that fights somewhat with it's negligible grain scent. THe taste is more bite that it is hops and malt. The beer is light on the flavors it should have, and not at all smooth. A staple at PSU Fraternity parties, and what one must drink if they want to drink for free.

2.34/5  rDev +28.6%

One of the palest beers I have ever seen. Seltzer-like carbonation, non-offensive. Cheap alternative to Bud Light, etc. Surprisingly drinkable and refreshing. Low-cal if you are worried about that sort of thing. Pros: cheap, light, refreshing. Cons: boring, macrobrew, pitifully plain, flavorless.

2.27/5  rDev +24.7%

This basically is a cheap summer party brew to impress your buddies at how much you can funnel before you throw up all over yourself, sleep in the street, and wind up missing your eyebrows.

Not offensive, slight metallic taste, low on the typical cooked veggie. Somehow clean and crisp, like drinking a beer flavored water. A hot beach, a cooler, and a lawnchair. Certainly one can't be bringing any Olde Schoool barleywhine to the beach unless they want to wake up floating in the middle of the ocean.

2.4/5  rDev +31.9%

I cannot believe i'm entering this as a review, but due to sheer volume of consumption that I accrued during this Holiday, I have to.

"Dad, we should pick up some Sam Adams before we get to the aunt's. She loves the Natty."

Oh no, they know you like the good stuff, and i'm sure they'll have at least something decent to drink.

(grumble, grumble)

At the aunt's: "You want a beer?" Of course, I answer ... assuming that she knows that I like real beer. She brings me a Natty Light. I'm obliged to give it a shot.

Well, yeah, its water ... and moreover, I had a good 6-8 of these with absolutely no buzz whatsoever. But I did like it better than my most recent Budweiser experience, only in that there's no taste instead of a shitty taste. I'd drink again if it was a) free b) a million degrees outside and c) free.

I've never experienced Mich Ultra and that's kin, but this truly tasted like beer seltzer water. Least it didn't give me a splitting tummy ache like it did the last time I drank it, 5 years ago or more.

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch