Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dale's Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,850 | Hads: 6,815
4.74/5  rDev +20.6%

BALANCED. Dales Pale Ale is hoppy, slightly bitter, and decently malty. The taste is so balanced its incredible. The hop bitterness on the back end is perfect for the malt sweetness. This beer is incredible!

4.73/5  rDev +20.4%

I may be a little biased but this is one of my favorite beers. I live in Alabama so i have to travel to Georgia or Tn to get my hands on this stuff. So to the review.
It pours up thick for a Pale Ale, reddish orange hue with a good 2 finger sticky head, smells of citrus and crisp. Mouth feel is a good medium body not to thick and def not thin. Its a bit hoppier than most Pale Ales so that may be why i enjoy it so much. All in all one of my favorite beers to drink.

4.73/5  rDev +20.4%

From notes 6-28-09

Eye: This one pours a clear, not dazzlingly clear, more like a bit foggy clear. Color is best described as wet maple deckboards with some extra orange hue to them. Unfortunately this one doesn't pour the greatest head, could be the glass though, been a while since I got good head from this one.

Nose: Once the can is opened nice hop aroma fills the room. Hop character is piney with some citrus tones, grassy too. Good strong malt backbone, very clean. Sweet malt aroma and caramel support this one. Great aroma, spot on.

Tongue: Real nice beer, grassy and piney hops finish with a nice bitterness. Upon first sip I am so impressed with this beer, I've not had a more complex APA. It beats SNPA any day of the week. It has a nice soft and sweet complex malt backbone accented by some fruitiness all the while hops are present ontop of that creating a very nicely crafted APA. This is my new favorite APA, just wish I could get it in my neck of the woods.

Feel and Drinkability: This one, as aforementioned, is soft on the palate, carbonation is soft and delicate, not prickly. The beer goes down real smooth. Body is full and the flavor just lingers-malt gives way to hops and they just sit there on the palate. The next sip is perfectly balanced, sweetness hits the tip of the tongue and you've still got bitterness and hop flavor there from the previous sip. Excellent beer, be sure to buy this if you find it.

4.71/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from a can. How cool is that?

Look: Golden. Leaving a white head all the way down the glass.

Smell: hops are very floral sweet honey like malts.

Taste: perfectly balanced hop and malt flavors. The hops are floral and not too bitter. The malt is honey flavored but still grain like. There's a nice hoppy pine on the exhale and leaves a pleasant piney and hop oil aftertaste.

Feel: it's highly drinkable. Perfect carbonation.

Overall: it's a great beer. It comes in a can. What else can I say?

It would make a great session beer. I could drink this all night.

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a nice opaque orange amber color with a off white tight bubbled two finger head with a very easy pour. good retention, holding to a quarter inch and a nice sticky lace to the finish. smell is of floral, citrus, piney aromas. taste big bready malts folowed by slighty citrus bitterness ending with piney hops. drinkability is great but at 6.50 % abv i would have to watch how many i drink.

4.69/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This pours darker amber than most color with an off-white head.

The aroma is a little hoppy with a touch of bread.

The taste has hint of piney hops, citrus, and just enough bitterness.

I found this to have a very smooth mouthfeel.

I normally do not gravitate to canned beer, but the few Oskar Blues selections I have had have been very good. I think that this one is great.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

as an avid outdoorsman, the slogan on the can caught my eye first. "pack it in, pack it out". I grabbed the tall can from my local bevmo just for that reason.

A: the can is very colorful and the graphics are very eye catching. I drank it straight from the can, so I can't comment on the colors of the brew itself. the can itself though was awesome.

S: as soon as I popped the can, I got a serious note of Citrus and hops. I'm getting excited to try this!!

T: I got more of the Citrus taste on the tongue with a slightly hippy and bitter finish. so far, it's exactly what I expected! love it so far!

M: I got a nice thick mouthfeel with each taste. I am really enjoying all the flavors so far. Digging it.

O: overall, this beer will have a standard rotation in my beer fridge. with the awesome message on the can along with the awesome tastes and the reasonable price makes this a great beer!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Deep, rich amber color. A respectable head that leaves lots of lacing.

S - Sweet honey and floral notes. Delicious.

T - A hoppy, but well-balanced, candied floral taste that just explodes in your mouth.

M - What can I say? Full and smooth without being overly carbonated or any other such negative characteristics. Pretty much perfect.

O - Maybe I just got an incredibly fresh batch of this, but my god. This is one of the ten best beers I've ever tasted. I drank this after a large bottle of Hennepin (another personal favorite) and this beer blew it out of the water... Let me just put it this way: I stopped posting on BA about 2.5 years ago because I just kinda got bored of it. This beer inspired me to come back and post a review. Between this and the also-exceptional Fat Tire Shift Pale Lager, I am quickly becoming a canned beer convert. If you see it, try it.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

A- Very clear golden orange with a foamy slight off white head. Lots of carbonation streaming from bottom of the glass.

S- For a pale ale this is very hoppy. Lots of citrus and the cat pee quality, also sweet caramel coming from the malt.

T- This is one of the best pale ales i've ever had. Almost closer to an IPA in taste but lighter. The malt does play a nice role with a smooth sweetness balancing out the hop characters. Hops are up front with mostly citrus flavor with a light bitterness on the back.

M- Light feel on the mouth but not watery, it has substance. Right on for this beer.

O- Awesome beer, loved drinking everyone of them. One of the better beers I've had lately. Super refreshing and almost crossing the line into IPA territory. Keeps me wanting more.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

New to the Tennessee market so I picked up a sixer of this while in Nashville.

Hazy light amber color with a damn impressive head and awesome lacing... Terrific looking brew..

Oily piney aromas abound...some malts present, but mostly piney hops.

This is delicious...starts off with a little sweetness from the malt and then WHAM! Piney sticky oily hoppy goodness...not overpowering but very strong...finishes slightly bitter leaving you ready for the next sip..

One terrific beer all the way around! I'm glad this is available here now. A little much for s session brew but I want this in my fridge at all times now.

EDIT: I had to add a few lines to this review. Having had a second can of this the following day, I had to increase my score. This is a damn delicious brew! Gordon had been my fav Oskar Blues offering but my mind is changed. This may be the best American Pale Ale I've ever had and that includes Alpha King. Its awesome!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale

A: nut brown crossed with amber with a long lasting foamy white head on top. Quite an aesthetically pleasing brew.

S: wow, so floral and piney, it smells like a sweet wildflower hop bouquet in the pine forest.

T: sweet candy malt, well balanced by lots of juicy hops. I’d say a tangerine-pine hop profile.

M: sticks around on the palate. To be expected of such a sugary beer.

O: a really good everyday pale, hopped enough that it might be called an IPA. Malt forward, easy to drink. 4.6/5.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

While I'm not the most educated beer drinker; as opposed to other member's here this is a very nice drink. Goes down smooth and tastes very similar to an amber. This and 21st amendment brewery are making very commendable beers in cans. Great taste and smell

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

It's really hard to find fault with this one, it works on every level: smells great, insanely drinkable, lively carbonation with a delicious hop profile narrowly edging out the complex malt sweetness, and easy on wallet.

I also typically refuse to pour canned beers into glasses, I feel like I'm trying too hard to be a fancy-pants beer connoisseur. But I can tell by the carbonation and overall quality of the beer that it's probably looker (I know this might seem wrong but I don;t care). Has a great grapefruit, tangerine, almost melon flavor that mingles easily with the piney bitterness in the finish Just a stunner all around.

I believe this is now my favorite pale ale edging out SNPA which is a bit too heavy and thick for a session brew. I dunno if it's the fact that it's in cans but it's dangerously drinkable and an amazing value.

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

From Notes: 12/6/08
Can! oh hell yea! Don't let the can fool you.

Appearance=Vigorous pour into SN Pint glass. Head dissipates quickly. Clearer beer, yet dark? Evidence of hops and abv.

Smell=Great smell. Hops and malts.

Taste= Awesome. Top 5 Pale Ales, ok Top 3.. I love the "over" hopped pale ale idea. Nothing really seems out of balance.

Mouth feel= Very good. Thin, refreshing.

Drinkability=Great fully loaded Pale Ale. Extremely high drinkability. Fabulous beer overall plus it comes in a can. Between this and Maui Big Swell, I cannot think of 2 beers I'd rather be stuck with on a hot deserted island.

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%

A pour from a 12-ounce can produces a nice, smooth copper color with a thin quarter inch layer of head. The smell is striking; lots of floral hops and graininess. As is well established by now, no hint of metallic smell/taste. I used to be skeptical towards this but over time basically believed that canned beer was no different than bottled beer, mostly due to several quality breweries turning to cans. However, this was my first experience with a canned beer, and I can verify that there is no difference in taste in a canned beer. I've had Dale's Pale Ale before on tap and the taste from the can is comparable, factoring in the usual differences between draught and bottle/can.

Dale's Pale Ale is a very hoppy pale ale, but I think the hops are more integrated into the beer than SNPA. There is a malty sweetness and aftertaste as the beer finishes pretty dry. This is my favorite APA that I've tried to date. At 6.5%, the ABV is a little high for a session beer, but I could easily drink a bunch of these. Mine was gone in fifteen minutes and I'm regretting that I didn't get any more (only picked up one in a mix-six pack).

Highly, highly recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

In the South, where I live, Dale's Pale Ale stands out as that craft brew from afar that a lot of places carry, and that proves time and again to be a superior brew over the locals and the typical non-local stuff that appears on drink menus here. It is clearly underrated here on Beer Advocate because it gets lost in the crowd of pale ales and IPAs that are out there. But in a place where there isn't so much of a crowd of those brews, Dale's absolutely kicks ass. I first had it on the rec of friends at Motorco and Geer Street Pub in Durham, NC, then had it at again at a Mellow Mushroom in Atlanta, and every time I thought, damn I'm glad the server recommended this. It's really more of an IPA than a PA, and for me that is just fine. It is cloudy, very flavorful and drinkable, and would be high on the list of beers I would offer to newbies wanting to get into hoppy craft beers. This review is based on my Mellow Mushroom order, which was the first Dale's I had drank in a year, and I was stunned by how good it was. A beautifully thick, cloudy brew with a nice balance between assertive, hoppy flavors and drinkability. I think it's a superstar in the craft brew world.

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours an orangey-brown hue with a gorgeous 1" head. Tons of lacing... a beautiful beer to behold once it has freed itself from the confines of the aluminum.

Interesting aroma for an APA. There are tons of hops there to be sure, but there is a significant malt presence as well. Smells big and thick and refreshing.... noticeably piney... yum.

Perhaps the best tasting APA I have ever had (with the exception of maybe Great Divide's Fresh Hop, which is fantastic as well.... also note I have not had Alpha King, and so cannot compare the two). Big hoppy citrus notes, backed up by a resinous piney flavour. The malt provides a great backbone to make this beer throughly quaffable and tremendously refreshing.

Clean, crisp mouthfeel.... moderately thick... quite nice.

As I said, immensely quaffable. Perhaps my new favourite session brew... I will be certain to buy my fair share of cases of these bad boys.
A tremendously underrated beer in my opinion. Don't let the ridiculous can stigma scare you off. The second beer I have tried from Oskar Blues... and the second winner. Fantastic job.

Date Tasted: 8/12/2010
Name of Beer: Dale's Pale Ale
Style of Beer: American Pale Ale
ABV: 6.5%
Brewery: Oskar Blues
Brewery Location: Lyons, Colorado
Where I acquired it and price: D&J Market in Poulsbo, WA. $8.99/six-pack.
My Location: On our porch, in a makeshift bed, celebrating the completion of my Chemistry class, barbecuing and watching the meteor shower.
Draught/Bottle/Can: 12 oz. can
Glassware: Pint glass
Appearance: Golden amber, ample head, leaves nice amount of lacing
Aromatics: Pleasant notes of citrus and hops
Flavor: Big citrusy hops with a nice toasty malt backbone
Score: 9/10. Dale's is one of my go-to beers. Pairs decent with most foods and activities. Usually fairly priced. One of my favorites.

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%

A: Medium, foamy head, that was retained throughout. Redish-orange.

S: Citrus, floral hops. Has a great deal of hops in the nose, more than one would expect.

T: Stays true to the nose, citrus hop bitterness with a bit of sweetness.

MF: Smooth and complex. The perfect amount of bite to go along with the excellent sweetness that is perfectly rounded by the hops.

D: Too drinkable. I could stick with this as one of my favorite pales any time of the year (or day for that matter)

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a 20oz tulip pint.

Beautiful stained-pine color. Healthy white head, with considerable lacing.

Malts dominate, but the hops come through too. Nice grainy malt scents.

Lemony, citrusy hops at first sip. Then the dark toast malts flavors catch up. Very nice. The only complaint is that the hop flavors tend to muddy after you've finished swallowing. Hard to find a defect here.

Slightly syrupy mouth feel, not very carbonated. Really gives you something to chew on.

Drinkable as any hoppy beer I've ever had. A brighter hop finish would have earned this brew a 5.0 in this category.

Over all a very nice beer to have available year round. It goes for 2 bucks more for a 12-pack than a SN Pale Ale, but the richer characteristics make that an excellent price.

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%

Is it possible that such a high quality beer could be in a can? This pale ale is just about perfect. Its everything I want Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale to be and more.

I received two cans of Dale's and two cans of Old Chubb from a friend of mine who just came back from the Florida pan handle. Here in Mississippi its impossible to find good beer like this. Those Floridians are sure lucky.

This beer pours a hazy barnished bronze and has a very nice glow in the light. A tight full head was easily formed in a close rimmed snifter glass. Lacing persists throughout the beer from start to finish.

The aroma is a fruity banana ester and strong hop overtone. It seems as if the two smells move back and forth like a dance.

Upon first taste a strong hop presence is combated by a floral malt mixure and that is again traded for a lightly bitter hop finish.

Overall, I give Dale's a round of applause and would gladly buy this beer again, and again, and again!

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a nonic glass from my home draught system been on tap for 5 days.

Cloudy, medium amber with a kind of glowing reddish/orange hue. White 2" thick, rocky, head turning chunky, leaving a thick coating on top of the beer all the way down the glass,with very good retention,leaving collars of lace, a very sticky head.

Good hoppy nose citrus/pine and grapefruit a bit perfumy. Nice honeyed carmellness also nutty. Very inviting

Tastes just like it smells citrus/grapefruit/pine with a honey coated nutty carmell taste. Finishes with a sharp,clean citrusy note. Great tasting beer with excellent balance.

Light,creamy mouthfeel,juicy,tangy,slightly syrupy with some cloyingness.
Very enjoyable beer could drink this one all night. Very IPA like, more hoppier and maltier than a lot of IPA's ive tried.
I you see this beer on tap I would highly recommend giving it a try.

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ can into a pint glass.
This beer is a clear amber color with a large white head. The taste is really good and is full of malt, hops and citrus. the aroma matches the flavor and it is a medium bodied beer with heavy carbonation. Overall, this is my second favorite beer from Oskar behind Ten Fiddy.

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I got hooked on Dale's Pale Ale by a neighbor who let me try some at a party. I've always been a hop head and Dale's fits the bill perfectly. The bitterness / hoppiness isn't overwhelming but yet there's still a good bite and lightness to it. I also love the fact that it comes in cans. It brings back fond memories as a kid when I would sneak sips of my parents' canned beer.

4.6/5  rDev +17%

Says Pale Ale but "voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale" on the top of the can is more accurate. Check this out if you like tossing up the differences between Sierra Nevada and Siera Nevada Torpedo!!!!

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew