He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On RyeHe'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 12-20-2007

Imperial Rye IPA aged in a Rittenhouse 100 Rye Barrel.
The 2013 batch was aged in Willett Rye Whiskey barrels.
4.07/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a big-ass beer mug. This bottle is from Batch #1 bottled on 4/9/10.

A: Clear as day amber with a nice glow to it. The carbonation is pretty aggressive as this beer is fresh!

S: The best feature of this beer. Intense rye aroma with caramel malts right behind it. You can also tell this beer is pretty heavily hopped.

T: Dry rye gives way to a boozy barrel flavor at the front. Hops follow but soon get covered up by the candy sugars. This beer is rich and I can see it becoming more complex with some aging. Good blend of bitterness and sweetness.

M: This feature is lacking a little bit. I thought it would be a bit more chewy and/or sticky but it's not really either. Instead it is a little too carbonated and a tad bit watery. It definitely dries your mouth out too.

D: Pretty standard for a fresh rye whiskey barrel-aged beer. I think some time will do this the trick in terms of the carbonation, booziness, and complexity.

Overall, I haven't had too many Shmaltz brews but this one caught my eye - especially for the price of $5.99/bomber. This would definitely score 5/5 if there was a "Value" category.

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

Aged in 6 year rye whiskey barrels (and boy does it show). Batch 001/469 cases. Bottled on 4/9/10. Consumed 7/22/10.

A: A flat burgundy pour with sunset orange highlights produces a beige colored and whipped frothy head that was moderately lasting but left a ton of splashy deposits for a lacing. Visible carbonation was feverishly strong and dense with a fairly good clarity.

S: Strong notes of whiskey are evident on the first impression. Unfortunately it was the only thing perhaps masking any hoppiness that may have been intended or could have been there. Dry, and boozy best sums up this limited spectrum of aroma.

T: Again strong whiskey notes are evident in the flavor, dry, slightly boozy but maybe not so much for its 10.0%abv. The rye whiskey barrel aging seems to have taken over/control here hindering any of the hoppiness and individual character that I found so good in their original RIPA offering. The beer boasts hops of warrior, cascade, simcoe, crystal, chinook, amarillo and centennial while dry hopped with simcoe, amarillo, and crystal. Unfortunately as the saying goes, to many spices spoil the soup which is the case here. None of the individual character of the hops were allowed to stand out, with the exception of maybe the Chinook hops which provided some bitter grapefruit and citrus notes deep beneath the boozy nature. All the hop flavors got homogenized into one bland concoction that was overshadowed anyway by a boozy nature of whiskey. A toasty dryness on the finish is vaguely highlighted by a light peppery and dry rye spiciness but overall I feel the contribution of all these hops just muted each other out and were a waste to the beer.

M: Crisp bubbly hold with an edgy texture. Malty, dry and boozy providing for a good warmth of whiskey on the fade that lingers about.

D: Dry and boozy, not the hop bomb I was expecting, instead got a pitcher of stong ale with a shot of whiskey dropped in it. More suited perhaps for the chilly fall weather then the summertime heat wave that I originally drank this in. A little over the top drinkability wise but manageable in slow moderation.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

I love me some rye beers,highly hopped rye beers even more,I have never had a rye beer like this in its intensity of flavor before.Poured a deep bronze color with a tight formed one finger white head,almost creamy in nature it left one ring of lace as it settled very slowly.Big fruity esters in the nose, along with some pine resin,herbal sharpness,and a big whiff of sweet alcohol.A lush mouthfeel again almost creamy in texture coats the mouth,flavors are deeply fruity with an acidic-like sharpness from the rye,its quite boozy as well,a resiny/pine note comes in the finish.Its boozy and a little hot so its not a real drinkable beer but its got great sipping quality,its massive and complex on the palate.I liked it more than most.

The rye whiskey barrels provide an assertive oakiness as the beer warms and I drink more.

2.48/5  rDev -36.6%

botted 4/9/2010
pours ruby copper with a big 2+ finger head that left spotted lacing down the glass

smells like a barleywine dark fruit plenty of hops

taste is very bitter and overly sweet - dark nutty fruits spicey peppery rye citrus hops - a complete muddled mess

mouthfeel is full bodied heavy sticky got a brush my teeth after asap kinda brew

drinkability was not good since my share was 75% drain pour

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversized snifter. Pours a ruby brown with a generous tan head that reduces to a 1/4" head.

Smells fruity, grapes, apricots and citrus. There's a slight hop smell to balance the sweet fruity smell.

Has an excellent taste, creamy to start, nicely hopped, slightly sweet, with a sharp bitter end. Complex, and tasty!

Has a smooth mouthfeel, which is surprising considering it's sharp bitter finish.

This is the last of my 4 pack, and I can tell you I will happily pick up another 4 pack. Highly drinkable!

3.46/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Shmaltz Brewing Company--HE'BREW The Chosen Beer Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.--Tribute To Jewish Stars No. 1--2006 22 oz. Bottle. 10.00% ABV. 100 IBU's? (4.0 / 5.0) IPA--Imperial. Rich lacy tannish head. Clear rich bright amber red color. Fruity floral hop front. Sweet hot rich thick caramel rye fruit ester body. Hot EtOH hop spice fruity ester end. Barleywine IPA. Rich! Sampled 5/4/2007.

4.52/5  rDev +15.6%

22 ounce bomber. Batch #1, case #469. Whoo hoo! Batch 1! I'm excited to try this one. Was in the mood for a Hop Head Rye but saw this and decided to pick it up instead. I'm using a snifter glass. Pours a deep ruby red with a full head that has great retention. Incredible aroma on this beer, with the the rye whiskey from the aging process lending to lots of alcohol in the nose. Taste is incredible, very complex. I get huge amounts of malt with a huge alcohol finish. Also yields molasses, vanilla, maybe even some roasted malt flavors somewhere. It's called a Rye IPA but there's no hops to speak of, and this is a relatively young beer, bottled 3 months ago to the day. It could honestly probably use a little more time to mellow out. Though the longer you drink it the more you get hops, particularly in the background. This is a pretty amazing beer, very well put together. A sipping beer.

4.51/5  rDev +15.3%

Bomber served in a tulip. Deep amber color, bordering on brown. Plenty of head, lingers nicely around the glass. A lot of hops in the aroma - floral smelling. The taste however is a malt bomb - caramel and maybe cinnamon; the hops are there however in the aftertaste. A very good beer, although it was quite pricey so no guarantees I will buy it again.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%

Hadn't seen this at all around the Twin Cities until recently & picked up a bottle since it has two of my favorite ingredients: rye & rye. Sounds like a winner before the cap pops. Neck notes "Case 1 of 469". Interesting. Shared with my wife after my third softball game in two nights. I can feel that in a variety of places.

Before I even take a sip my wife makes an obscene exclamation of delight; guess she likes it. Pours on the amber end of the IIPA spectrum, fairly clear but not see-through. In the nose one can pick out distinctly both the rye barrel & rye malts, which is really cool. Both pack a good-Indian restaurant kind of spicey-vibe. Nice. The hops are subdued in the rye whirlpool.

R.I.P.A. should get more respect than it does, IMHO. Is this nationally distributed? With the barrel-aged craze, one would think this would be getting a lot of air play. THIS is what I thought I was getting with Boulevard's Rye-on-Rye, which proved good but a touch bland. Let this one warm a bit for full 3-D.

This beer is ryed all the way into my third eye, reaching up into my throat. Spicy rye burns all the way down my throat, the sensation ending right in my sternum. Yeehaa! There's nothing standard about the barrel-aging here, it's subtle, sweet, oak-laced vanilla that tries & fails to stop the lava tracks of the rye malts. The hops, or what's left of them two-plus months after brewing, are plunged into the background, providing a flare of bitterness that twines really nicely around the spiciness, giving it a depth of character one usually only sees in Asia Carrera's performances.

And after all that gushing, this is a drinker. I could have happily & easily done 22 oz. & then some by myself. My half is well over half gone in the past few minutes I've been writing this; it might take me fifty minutes to put away the average big beer, this one'll be lucky to see fifteen.

Excellent beer. That's two fantastic, unexpected surprises from a brewery that I know next to nothing about. I will be making a trip in the next couple of days (on my wife's orders, I'm sure) to secure another couple bottles of this &, while I'm at it, I'll grab another bomber or two of their lineup. I'm sold.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured an almost murky copper color with a head that is just shy a finger.

This brew is all over the place. Sweet notes of whiskey, vanilla and caramel meeting with the spice of the rye and some bitter hops.

Thick and sticky, much like syrup. Definitely a tad hot from the barrel I'm sure.

I think oak aging the RIPA is probably a good thing, whether that barrel should be a Rye Whiskey barrel may be debatable.

3.87/5  rDev -1%

Thanks again to dansteino for always having the excellent selection in N.O.
Batch No. 001
Bottling Date 4/9/2010
Poured into my Delerium tremens tulip.

A: Pours a hazy ruby color that fades to orange around the edges. About a finger of white foam fades quickly leaving rings of lacing around the edges.

S: Smells like a hoppy barleywine. Kinda like Old Guardian or Old Crustacean. Plenty of crystal/caramel malts, hints of rye and bready yeast. Balanced, robust hops yield scents of citrus and pine. More of a barleywine, but good.

T: Again, very much like a hoppy barleywine. Very complex flavors arising from the barrel aging. Some very nice tones of vanilla, rye, citrus, caramel. Even some hints of chocolate.

M: Alcohol is fairly present, especially noticeable from the rye whiskey. Bitterness and carbonation hit just right. Nice slick finish without being too dry from hops and bitterness. Mmm...

D: Alcohol presence causes the not so high mark for this one.

4.85/5  rDev +24%

Lenny's R.I.P.A. aged in six year sazerac rye whiskey barrels, 22 oz bomber, Batch/cases 001/469, bottled on 4/9/2010,

Pours a gorgeous copper/orange hue hazy clarity and a nice 2 finger tan head that is capped and sticky. All in all it looks amazing.

Complexity galore this ale smells so deep. First up is the vanilla and rye spice from the whiskey barrel, second is a well rounded bitterness coming from the aged hops, i am going to assume the regular version of this beer is a bit more hoppy though Ive yet to try... I don't think ill take my nose out ever.

Upon first sip i am greeted with an amazing mix of hops and rye whiskey, i can see someone who doesn't enjoy whiskey being deterred from this. Hops have an earthy citrus quality but are more hidden behind the onslaught of rye whiskey, whiskey has a nice bit of warmth to it. Solid caramel malt backbone helping more this all along.

moderate carbonation with a bit of a syrupy fell to it, what id expect from a brew aged for a bit. Alcohol is well masked for 10%. semi-dry finish.

Amazing beer i absolutely loved it. I recommend you get your ass out their and try to get your hands on this. it says there is only 469 cases produced which means only 5628 22 oz. bombers were produced. GO! RUN!

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a redwoon color with a silky beige head.

Nose has rye, spicy alcohol, wood, rye whiskey, vanilla, toffee, floral hops and sweet malts. Not the most complex, but I really like the barrel presence.

Taste also has a nice rye whiskey presence along with oak, vanilla, molasses, aged hops, booze and rye malts.

Thick body is lightly carbonated. A slow drinker, but nice.

A bit thick, but better that than a bit light.

Nice barrel aged strong ale from Hebrew. A bit hot, should age well.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

A: pours a dark rust, copper color with a generous 1-2 finger tan head and very little lacing. good looking beer

S: smells hops first but faded quickly to more of a smokey oak and whiskey scent with some roast malts and leather

T: mellow, smoked hops and whiskey with sweet malts and rye with maybe a little bit of citrus and spice on the back end. whiskey seemed to come out more as it warmed up

M: pretty thick, full body with nice carbonation

D: considering the 10% abv this went down fairly smooth with the alcohol well masked until it warmed the throat with each drink

Overall I was pretty excited about this beer since I really enjoy the regular RIPA and this one didn't disappoint. One bomber was enough for me and glad I have another one to cellar and see how age treats it.

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a thick clear brown with red highlights, nice thick head with lots of lacing.

Aroma is booze and hops, lots of sweetness as it warms, I get an edge of rye as it warms as well.

Flavor is giant and boozy, very american barleywine like with tons of hops backed by a giant vanilla sweet malt punch, the barrel is VERY apparent throughout hte sip and really comes to the front in the finish.

Leaves a nice aftertaste with a thick and slightly sticky mouthfeel, very slow drinker, enjoyable but the half a 22 I had was more than enough.

Thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this bottle.

Batch 001. Bottled 4/9/10. The beer pours a hazy brown-orange color with a white head. The aroma is piney hops with some rye notes. The flavor is chocolate, rye, toffee and piney hops. Medium bitterness. The alcohol is right up front and is very hot. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

a: This one pours a very bright amber hue and is topped off with a slightly off white head. The head is pretty thin but there is good sticky lacing... looks like a fair amount of carbonation as well... I poured this into a Duvel glass and the carbonation bubbled have focused a little white head pillow in the center of the beer... werid.

S: Wow the rye really hits the nose hard! Toffee and caramels follow as well just the faintest hint of oak?

T: Wow again! a surprise! this is not as sweet as I might have guessed given the sweet flavors the aroma makes one think of. The whiskey barrels have dried this out substantially! The rye malt comes through on the palate quite a bit... as does a piny bitterness. Toffee and caramel flavors are only an afterthought here... whiskey IPA... wow. I would love to try this after a little bit of aging!

M: drying, than sticky

D: medium to low

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

A - caramel colored and vibrant. A thin but creamy, cinnamon tinted head sticks around for a minute or two. Very clean and un-hazy (word?)
S - Sweet candy malts dominate. Cinnamon and rhubarb, and burnt sugar. While some of the sweet smells may be originating from the alcohol notes of the whiskey barrels, it is a little disappointing that I'm not picking up and wood or true rye whiskey notes, nor am I getting much hop in this "obscene amount of hops" brew. However, the nose is still tremendous and complex, much more on the british IPA side.
T - Vanilla and pepper, right off the bat, smack you in the face. An amazingly well balanced beer. The vanilla dominated malts are strong and complex, but not overpowering in any way, thanks to the hop, peppery backbone (less bitter, more spicy), that combats the malts. Neither dominates, though both are dominating. Finish is a bit tangy, with a little residual sugar.
M - It almost seems like I'm drinking from 2 different bottles at the same time. I'm getting the crisp, pop of an IPA, with a super creamy and velvety barley wine...both distinct...truly seems like I'm pouring 2 incredibly well balanced beers into my mouth from 2 separate bottles.
D - Even at 10%, the alcohol flavor and impact is not very noticable. This one may be dangerous. Delicious, not too heavy, not too light, and super strong alcohol hiding in the shadows.
I must say, many of the reviews below had me worried, but my bottle was fantastic. The date stamp is only 2.5 months old, so I can't immagine age/time had anything to do with it. Mine is a 2010 release...

1.85/5  rDev -52.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared at my post-"graduation" tasting.

A: Pours a neat, clear amber body with a pinky of off-white foam.

S: Slightly oxidized, dominated by caramel / whiskey, some rye malt, and a touch of pine. It had an overall sweet aroma that I likened to honey.

T: Caramel, brown sugar, whiskey, light tannins, some pine hops, rye spice. It remains firmly sweet, cloying, and syrupy throughout the flavor, and after a while I don't want to drink it. It's unrefined and muddled; nothing really stands out as impressive or well-integrated. Just a lot of sugars and rye.

M: Light-medium bodied; the beer is absolutely obliterated by the rye whiskey, which also imparts a mild heat to it.

D: This is the very example of why you can't just throw a beer in a barrel and automatically make it better. And it was $13 or so. Avoid, it's pretty vile.

3.4/5  rDev -13%

22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Neck label declares Batch 001/ Cases 469. Bottling Date 4/9/2010.

Appearance: Pours a super red mahogany with thick, dense buttermilk-colored head that falls back to 1/4 inch with lots of spotting.

Nose: Super dense caramel and whiskey right up front. Smells slick, sweet and bready (not biscuit though). Lots of bourbon vanilla bean and rye whiskey without the sharp alcohol notes. Smells exactly how I want it too.

Palate: Bright and sharp with alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and injured by the alcohol, thinned out a little too much. Flavors are great, lots of rye bread (not caraway, mind you), toasted white oak, and some fruity esters. I can't past the sharpness, but there's some pink pepper and white pepper notes, black pepper is a stretch because the fruit notes are missing from that specific flavor. The hop flavor is missing, but the bitterness is persistent. Long, spicy finish and much drier than the original Lenny.

Notes: Ho-hum. I really really really WANTED this to be my absolute favorite beer, but I have to say the Rye whiskey is less than integrated. It sits on top of the beer and disrupts the body and mouthfeel. Flavors are great, but integration is missing. Maybe Batch #2? Please consider a new attempt. Also, Lenny Bruce regular is one of my favorite brews and I love rye whiskey, just to my credit/in my defense.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Amber in color with a massive head of fluffy tan foam. Nice sheets of lacing around the glass.

Outstanding complexity in the nose. Some light citrus hops, vanilla, whiskey, brown sugar, toffee, and oak can all be picked out.

The first thing that pops into my head upon tasting this: Backwoods Bastard. There are a lot of similarities. Very, very, sweet with some alcohol heat. The alcohol and sweetness drown out most if not all of the hop characteristics. Getting the whiskey and oak along with dense layers of caramel and brown sugar along with some vanilla bean. Fairly spicy as well. Outstanding.

Extremely dry finishing. I would call this close to full bodied but not quite. Warm alcohol feel all the way down. Feels just slightly over-carbonated, but that may change with some more warming.

Drinks really well despite the booze presence and 10% abv. I loved the original Lenny's and this just adds another dimension. Tough to run across a really well done barrel aged DIPA, but this is an outstanding example.

2.43/5  rDev -37.9%

This was shared by someone...chswimmer maybe? I can't remember. Oh well, thanks, whoever you are.

Pristine clear burnished amber, the color is beautiful but it looks oddly filtered. It's topped by a small off-white head. Very clean and refined appearance.

It has an oxidized hop aroma. Spicy rye and pine, almost cheesy, like an extra-sharp pecorino romano. This is stale-smelling. There's some whiskey aroma, but not a ton...makes me think of whiskey soaked pine needles. Strange.

Caramel malt and whiskey flavors hit the palate first, followed by strong pine that eventually turns into a firm bitterness. It has some rye spiciness and a bit of whiskey heat, but it's not overwhelming in any way. Quite muddled overall, I dislike the interplay between the barrel and the stale hop flavor. This may have turned out good with more time in the barrel, or if it simply had a more robust barrel character. As it stands, it's mediocre.

I remember enjoying this beer when I had it on tap at Toronado last year, but this bottle didn't live up to that memory at all.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Oddly delicious. This beer is rather sweet and fairly cloying, however rye spice and the rye barrel work well with the sweetness. The rye is smoky, almost hot. There's a lot of malt. Brown sugar, molasses, raisins, and lots of rye bread. It's not really a DIPA, in my opinion. This is essentially an interesting barleywine. Hops are muted or, at least, masked by the rye and merely lend some bitterness in the flavor. It's a fairly kooky beer. Lots of caramel malt. Definite alcohol heat. The total package is quite enjoyable. Definitely a sipper. I feel like it's giving me cavities and I love it.

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

A. Golden amber with tan head that leaves a beautiful lacing down the glass. Lots of ruby flecks throughout.
S. Lots of oak and rye whiskey. The alcohol comes through a lot more in the nose than in the R.I.P.A.
T. Lots of rye bourbon up front. The sweet malt character takes a back seat in this one to the rye and the barrel. Lots of spice and a little bitterness on the swallow. The alcohol comes out a bit on the aftertaste (which I didn't find to be the case for the R.I.P.A.
M. Thick and delicious (i.e. medium+ bodied with a low level of creamy carbonation)
D. The addition of the rye whiskey flavors makes this beer distinctive, but I think I actually prefer it without the addition. I'm shocked since I have such a proclivity for rye whiskey and barrel aged beers. That said I still thoroughly enjoyed this experiment and wouldn't turn down an offer of it in the future.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

As a fan of both rye whiskey and Bittersweet Lenny's RIPA, I've been quite excited to try this one. It pours into the glass a nice medium copper brown color, with a huge, rocky, 3 finger tan head. This one has a nice spicy rye aroma, along with toffee, oak and brown sugar; as it warms the booze really comes out. Flavors of wood, vanilla, toffee and maybe mint, along with suggestions of grapefruit and citrusy hops. The barrel aging has worked pretty well here, balancing the base beer nicely.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye from Shmaltz Brewing Company