Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Maroon wax = 2015 15% ABV
Reviews: 1,219 | Hads: 3,957

Three Floyds Dark Lord
Cracked my 2010 bottle on 07/31/12… thanks to tutes3 for this, it was free from a beer contest in Feb of 2011.
A: Motor oil jet back with a very small amount of brown foam. Virtually no head.
S: I smelled it from the bottle a soon as I opened it, my friend next to me smelled it when he was standing a few feet away. Coffee, Caramel and chocolate amazing.
T: coffee first turning into a classic RIS with good carbonation finishing on some slight alcohol burn and ending in toffee flavoring. WOW.
M:Lots of carbonation and coffee here
O: Amazing, certainly one of the best beers I’ve had except for BCBCS

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

So I just got back from DLD and decided to share a bottle with friends. 2009 bottle.

A-This pours out motor oil dark. Nice brown/dark tan head that stayed for a little bit leaving nice lacing all around the glass. To say it poured thick was well pretty true.

S-I smell malt malt malt. Nice strong chocolate smell as well. Some other hints of burnt coffee but not as much as other RIS I have drank in the past.

T-Wow....I see why everyone loves this and I think this is as close to fresh as I'm going to get to it. Nice low lying burnt malt taste covered by a huge chocolate taste and other malts. For it being such a high ABV beer I must say the alcohol is hidden nicely in this.

M-This beer is huge...the pour kind of told me that it was going to be chewy and I was right. Coats the tounge and everything else it touches. It lets you know it is in there for sure.

D-I wouldn't want to drink a full bottle of this just because I want to share it with friends. Would I if I could?? Yes...do I want to?? No...because it is a beer that should be shared.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Dark Lord Vintage 2009, White Wax. Wow. I was fortunate to snag a few bottles as a late-show at DLD on April 25 and so glad I did. This beer was so much hyped, I was afraid I would be facing a letdown. But not at all. I could smell this beer all night. What a wonderful smell! Not fortunate to have a snifter in my beer glass collection yet, I poured the first half into a Samuel Smith pint glass and the remainder in a Sam Adams sensory glass. The pour went much better in the Samuel Smith pint glass as a nice two inch frothy head appeared there, while a smaller head formed on the beer poured into the SA sensory glass.. This is my introduction to Russian Imperial Stouts and what an introduction. First taste and I get a little alcohol burn from the 13.0 % ABV, but not as harsh as the 10.0 % ABV for a Bell's Hopslam. Go figure. Still, this beer might need six months to a year for aging -- but, really, who can wait that long. This is really a masterful brew from Three Floyds. Smell, for me, is the best part about this. I go back and forth, between glasses, to smell and find the best smells coming from the pint glass. Taste is something I cannot put into words. This is something you must experience for yourself. Believe the hype. I don't see the low ratings for this Three Floyds offering because it lives up to the hype for me, at least. Drinkability is the only non-5 because I;ll be fortunate to finish this myself.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

so, what do you say? best of BA, second best as of today's look at the list, 260 reviews as of this writing, hard to get and a rabid following. Well first I'd say thanks to jaxon53 for this via trade. I've been thinking of this for some time and am happy to have finally found a trade that worked.

SO, all that being said does this live up to the hype? I would say yes. It's vinous, it's a medly of deep sweet malts, it's got nice notes of cherry, roasted grains, vanilla and sweet. It's different than other RISs I've had and it stands out to me for it's amazing drinkability for such a big beer.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Enjoyed and reviewed as part of cburian's RIS showdown. Thanks for the chance to try some great brews!

Well, here it is, I though I would never get to try this beer.

Rich, brown-black, oily. This brew defines "used motor oil" as an appearance adjective. Swirling in the glass produces a visible discoloration residue in the glass.

Rich, dark fruit, tart, bitter nose.

Intense, dark fruits, molasses, nutty, sweetness and intensity. A flavor explosion. ABV is very well hidden at 13%.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, coating. Everything I ever wanted in an RIS.

Wow! I love this beer. An endless sipper. Truly awe-inspiring.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance-This beer poured an oil black with a thin brown head.

Smell- Wonderful smells of roasted malts, coffee and chocolate. Nice hints of the 13% alcohol.

Taste- Very good!! Very complex. All sorts of wonderful flavors like coffee, dark chocolate, and maybe molasses. The alcohol is detectable but well hidden.

Mouthfeel-Thick and creamy with low carbonation.

Overall-Incredible! Perhaps worth a trip to Dark Lord day next year? Hmmm. Maybe.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

I have had Dark Lord on-tap and bottled. On-tap is exceptional <period> In a bottle the drinkability came up short by comparison.

The appearance is every thing you would expect from a stout - smooth, thick, and dark. The smell is heavenly. I sat there for a few minutes just enhaling the aroma. I put my finger it to taste it. It was so good that I kept using my finger until my brother pointed out how far down I drank without putting it to my mouth.

The mouthfeel was equally awesome and smooth.

The drinkability was only a problem with the bottles we purchased. They needed to be racked due to sediment.

'08 Vintage.

Evil appearance and darkest head I have ever seen. Black, sludgy with a dark brown head.

Coffee, chocolate, tonnes of caramel , fig, and coffee cake. Beautiful. Not a typical Imperial Stout smell.

Wow. Nothing like I've ever tasted before. So much sweetness up front followed by a hit of coffee and star anise. Semi-sweet chocolate chips and caramel flavors follow this blast of sweetness and roast. The finish is surprisingly dry and bitter. This really strikes me as a barleywine X imperial stout hybrid if that makes any sense.

Mouthfeel can be described in one word: sludge.

There is so much flavor, aroma, and feel that I don't think that I can drink more than a serving of it, but this is so unique and pleasurable that it makes up for it.

I am really fortunate to have tried this before I die. This is a must have for sure.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Reviewed from notes...Absolutely worth the 10 hour drive from Oklahoma. Had this on tap @ DLD 2010. Pours thick, aroma is of toffee and coffee with hints of chocolate and vanilla. Appearance dark black as expected from a RIS. Taste and Palate...Hints of toffee, coffee, camel and chocolate. Feels heavy on the tongue and fills the mouth completely . Overall I think this beer definitely lives up to the hype!

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance - Poured a opaque black with a 1/2 inch brown head that hung around for good bit. Almost poured like used oil
Smell - a lot going on in the nose dark fruits, burnt malts, coffee, cocoa, and mabey some molasses and brown sugar. Very complex
Taste - Very good a bit more mild than what i was expecting from the nose but very good. Chocolate, coffee and some dark red cherries in the flavor.
Mouthfeel - The thickest beer i have ever had. Its almost like they reduced it. Very little carbonation
Drinkability - This was a great beer i hope to go to dl days 09 to get more.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Phenomenal. Look, I get it where some of the hate comes in. I mean its now become such a cliche of itself in how hard it os to get this beer and you have to ask yourself is it that much better than other shelf (or easier to acquire) Stouts that its worth the trouble? If you look at it from the aspect of how awesome DLD is with all the generosity of stranger who bring their own bottles and that magical chance to win a golden ticket and land the godly Vanilla BADL then yes its worth it. Especially for me considering I just loves sweets and the fact that 2013 is basically an imperial stout sugar bomb is what makes it a 4.9/5 in my book. I have had 2010-2013 and 2013 is definitely my favorite because of the abundance of sweetness. I really don't like when the taste of soy sauce dominates the palate (namely the 2010 vintage) and while this beer holds up well aging I still say just drink it fresh. The other reviews nail it so no reason to say much else.

Side Note: if you are looking for a comparable shelf beer I strongly suggest Ten Fidy. I think it is by far the most similar shelf RIS and its a damned tasty beer also.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

The beer poured like motor oil into the glass. The color was pitch black and no light penetrated the murky darkness. The head was deep dark brown and frothy. The head was nearly noexistent when first poured and slowly rose in the glass to overflow with a two fingered pour like a volcano erupting in slow motion. The head than took the time to coat the glass as it fell back to the surface of the liquid.

The aroma was strong chocolate and very strong molasses. Also present was a huge dark fruit presence of cherries and prunes and raisins. Alcohol was present in the aroma and added complexity as did a nice biscuit presence and a nice vinous aroma. The aroma was bready and interesting.

The flavor was chocolate and coffee when the head was slurped to avoid spillage from the growing CO2 release as the beer was poured. The head was very thick as was the beer. The flavor of the head was molasses. The flavors of the beer once consumed were coffee and chocolate and a nice roasty character. The fruits of the aroma existed in the flavor and were raisins and prunes and once again cherries. Chocolate and coffee ruled the aroma and a slight molasses flavor added complexity. A slight bit of alcohol was present, but mainly just to even out the flavors and never detracted.

The finish was malty and chocolate with coffee and those same raisins and prunes lasting long into the aftertaste with a slight vinous characteristic. The body was full and viscous similar to motor oil. With the alcohol being so high, it was interesting that it did not detract from the beer and was only highly present in the alcohol warming after consumption.

100% worthy of the hype. At $15 per bottle including shipping, this beer was a steal. Thank goodness 3 other bottles lurk in the cellar awaiting the light of day. This beer was astounding! Almost my first 5 but I couldn't drink more that a bottle in a night.

22 ounce bottle, 2005 release. Thanks to beerinator for purchasing and sending the beer and to AKSmokedPorter for receiving the bottles for me and bringing to his place of work for me to pick up.

2010 Dark Lord

A: pours super dark super thick. a very small, thin light brown head

S: smells of dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malts and dark fruits, dark roasted coffee beans

T: wow! I mean WOW! absolutely wonderful. sweet and bitter. roasted malts dance perfect with the hops. dark chocolate and fruits and a hint of dark coffee beans.

M: thick, chewy, heavy yet smooth. coats your mouth perfectly

D: incredibly drinkable at the big 15% abv. a little hot on the throat but I can imagine this will mellow and be even more incredible in 6+ months or so. Can't wait to try it then.

So glad I got to try this amazing RIS. Can't wait to try it over the next couple years to see how much better it gets. Time is on this beers side.

Highly recommend to all!

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

From 7/24/10 notes. Bottle was a 2010 vintage.

a - Pours a brown color with one finger of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of dark fruits, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and a hint of booze, but not as much as I was expecting.

t - Tastes of chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malts, toasted malts, and a hint of alcohol. Has a tiny bit of heat and more alcohol than the smell, but not too much.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Considering it's 15% ABV, its surprisingly easy to drink.

d - I thought this was a great RIS. I thought there was a little bit of heat, but not too much considering the high ABV. I think with a few months on it it will only get better as well. Still, it is one of the best RIS' I've had. Looking forward to trying again.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

2009 vintage into maudite snifter. I find it slightly ironic that the dark lord bottle opener can't break through the white wax on its own beer!

A -damn. this was pouring like quite thick, almost like motor oil, so i moved to pouring right down the center, still no head formed. but then after I finished pouring the brew, then came the head; slowly but surely, it formed. the head is a darkish brown, about one finger thick. the body is black, opaque and is going to suck up my soul. the body and head colour look great, but the fact that the head doesnt form on time, or enough is not so great. the head lingers, going down to a thin, but solid, layer in about 3 mins. there is a little sudsy lacing. Remember: its an RIS, not a pilsner; there is not going to be a huge frothy head. by any means.

S - thats intense. even right out of the fridge it is a powerful nose: molasses, chocolate, toffee/caramel. good god, man! this is great! top notes are this powerful molasses-hop combination; the hops I think are pretty much tied to the molasses scent, giving it a prick of vegetative freshness. mid notes are chocolate malts and caramel, though, depending on how strongly one sniff, the chocolate aspect can make its way up to the fore front, though mostly the chocolate. the bottom is a bit sweet, maybe more toffe and then some secretive coffee notes. the overall aroma, yes it is an aroma, is simply stupendous: bitter dark chocolate, malty molasses, caramel, and a touch of hops and coffee. but maybe there could be a bit more...maybe this is where the other two dark lords expand. this is the only reason it does not get a perfect: there is the possibilty for improvement, which i cannot imagine. maybe a touch of whiskey or vanilla? that would undoubtedly make this beer ridiculously good.

T - this beer is so incredibly delicious, I only think the expericne could get better if I was on the conning tower of some typhoon class russian sub. chocolate, coffee, alcohol, sweet malts and some sweet and fruity currants. this brew has so much to offer! christ almighty! this beer could surely raise lazarus from the dead. initial notes are of coffee, chocolate, hop bitterness, spiced alcohol, dry alcohol. the alcohol migrates from this rich spiciness to a rocking dry kind of gin reminiscent flavour. the chocolate is pretty average, but how the coffee mixes into it is great, making this starbucks-esque type of blended taste. the hops are really really subtle, but their characteristic bitterness, one that is completely different from the chocolate or coffee bitterness, is indeed there. the finish is a bit simpler than the initial taste, but I didnt expect it to pick up all of the intricacies of the first sip. the aftertaste is what everyone waits for: chocolate chips cinnamon buns, i.e., the chocolate is still there but there is this intricate slightly spicy note from the hops that one cannot deny. this beer is such a phenomenal example of its style that it can only be described as magical.

MF&D - the drinkability is perfect. no question about it; this beer is too tasty to care about the calories or the abv. the only problem is that the beer gets a bit watery during the tasting process. this is kind of ridiculous considering how thick the beer is. but either way, this brew is still ass kicking phenomenal, better than anything I have ever had. period.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Dark Lord vertical: I was fortunate to sample all six years of this great brew (2004-9) side by side at a tasting I hosted. Thanks to Brad for providing '04,'05,'06 and to Tony for providing the '09. Review is from my notes taken last night.

A: Awesome artwork on the label. Pours pitch black with a brown frothy, sticky, persistent head. Picture perfect for a big RIS.

S: Roasted malt and lots of it, chocolate, coffee, sweetness

T: So smooth, more chocolate. The '09 batch has more coffee flavors up front. The '04 was thick and chewy and amazingly smooth. Alcohol flavors virtually non-existent in the '04,'05,'06 batches. '07 and '08 had a slightly thinner feel and taste than the other batches. Complex, long lingering taste that continues to develop after you swallow. The sweetness was done very well, and more subdued in the earlier vintages.

M: This brew coats the mouth and seeps into your palate. Chewy and delicious. '09 was the most carbonated, as it was the youngest, and was bolder than the earlier vintages.

D: This is a huge beer and slightly sweet, which is natural, given that it is a 13% RIS. I look forward to the next time I can open a bottle of this. This will always be on my wants list.

Paired with gourmet dark chocolate.

The '04 left a thick stain in the bottom of the glass. This brew was going strong after six years of age. Plenty of carbonation left and no off flavors. This was an incredible experience.

2010 vintage consumed November 5, 2010.
The 2010 is noticeably hotter and sweeter than the previous vintages. While it's still a great beer, the latest version could stand to spend some time aging in the cellar.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

I am currently tasting my 2007 DL compared to the newly acquired 2008 DL. I have no idea how I left this one alone for a whole year, but I did. Let me tell you, one year certainly does wonders for this big boy.

- 2008 head is bigger and lasts longer
- Same appearance, although I see some yeast collecting at the bottom of the glass in the 2008
-2008 smells more smokey, coffee and alive....2007 smells ready, as if aged in a bourbon barrel.
- more of the same....more coffee smoke in 2008
-2007 is surprisingly smoother, barely any carbonation, 2008 is way more lively
-both are amazing, but definitely cannot have more than one.

If you have the chance to try different years side-by-side, definitely do, because it is awesome...

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Big thanks to RoyMunson on this one, Thanks for the opportunity to try this very hyped beer,2008 bottle. Also a 2007 bottle, from another trade!

A-2008 Death black with an evil dark tan head, the lacing and sludge that this beer produces as it warms is second to none, i still cannot see through the glass correctly.2007 looks identical

S-2008 its good but very sweet, sweeter than i imagined for a beer of this caliber, the Abyss, Stone RIS are better more traditional examples of this style, this is still very good. 2007 bottle was IMO better as some roasty coffee was detected which offset the sweetness up front.

T- Once again just ok for the 08 and very good for the 07, it taste like raisans, molasses, sugar, and more sweetness. there is a big disappointment here on the 08, the 07 has a very balanced and more complex less sweet taste. (its is a year older)

M- Very thick, GI BCS is thicker cold but as it warms this is the thickest beer i have ever had, hell it almost frothy like a starbucks mocha..

D- Not bad just very sweet, it makes your lips sticky and the sweetness is off the charts as my lips are very sticky right now. The abv is undetectable.

2008 bottle, Very good just a little sweet with lack of other flavores to balance it out, outstanding and a must try.

2007 bottle, Outstanding!!! everything i missed in the 08 was found here, some roasted coffee!!

I will continue to seek this out and age if a year of rest makes it this good. Dark lord day 09!!

4.81/5  rDev +12.4%

This came as an EXTRA from Melbatoast93, cheers & cheers again Hart! Got this last summer, so 08 Vintage, says so on the bottle

Decanted into my La chouffe tulip, pours pitch black with a 1.5 fingers of cocoa colored head. Average head retention & very good lacing, a brown film shades out much of the upper glass

S: Dark chocolate, rum raisin & a touch of leafy hops

T: Dark & bitter chcolate, prunes, oaky dryness & a bit of charred grain & leafy hops up front. Dryness dominates as this warms, along with some chocolate covered dates, plums & a touch of molasses, getting better as it warms. Finishes oh. so dry, with mocha, molasses, iron, boozey coffee, dates & plums

MF: Oily, slick, but some noticeable carbonation here. Nice chewyness & stickyness as this warms, then nice a great warming sensation & luxurious silkyness

ABV is well hidden, upper echelon RIS to be sure, a few I've had just as good are just as good, but only a few. The dryness does slow me down a little, but otherwise, going down great on a cold, snowy Colorado evening!

4.81/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Very dark beer with a small head.

S: Delicious bitter smell.

T: Great taste of menthol light, sweet and brown sugar.

M: Good ratio, light carbonation and even somewhat syrupy.

O: Special delicious aftertaste, drinking well is really top of the bill.

(I've got the yellow one)

Thanks GrandCruDrew!
2008 vintage
Served in my Ebenezers pub sniffer

A: Dark chocolate, bordering on black, with dark amber highlights around the edges. Cocoa head.

S: Booze soaked fruits, rich robust cocoa/coffee

T: Chocolate up front, then the ABV hits, mocha is present, nutty in the finish that lingers for a while

M: Thick!! Coats your mouth, full bodied, rich, creamy, alcoholic finish, sticky sweet.

D: Highly balanced 13% stout! I could enjoy this ever month or so. Not a beer I could drink more than once in a setting. Worth the hype and my wife agrees.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to JAYBLACK for sharing this bottle with me while I was in Indy this week.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a goblet. Vintage 2010

This beer pours as black as midnight. No highlights at all, utter complete darkness. There is a very small tan head that recedes quickly and leaves no lacing; and at 15% I didn't really expect any.

The nose is huge, and full of dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, and a fair amount of alcohol. Quite a big aroma that matches the thick oily appearance.

The taste is very much like the nose only bigger. Lots of chocolate, cherries, prunes, and port wine. Very sweet initially, but seems to mellow and bitter as the beer warms. There is a fair amount of alcohol presence, but nowhere near what you would expect from a 15% beer. Body is heavy and thick with low carbonation. This is truly a well crafted imperial stout.

This is a terrific beer that is very drinkable considering the ABV. Outstanding offering from Three Floyds.

Poured into snifter...

A: Pours an incredibly thick black into the glass with hues of ruby around the edges. Small head of tan foam, falls slowly to a thin ring around the glass.

S: Huge complex aroma, coffee, roasted malt, dried fruit, booze, molasses, caramel, incredibly huge aroma here!

T: Like the nose, massive and incredibly deep, all of the flavors mentioned above and yet so balanced and layered. This is truly world class, one of the greats!

M: Smooth and creamy heavy body, slightly boozy, but in a good way.

D: For 15% it is crazy drinkable, and so delicious that you want to keep drinking it. Definitely one of the best examples I have ever tried!

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottle of ’04 courtesy of the very generous TMoney99. Appears dark brown, almost black with absolutely no head to speak of. This is a very viscous liquid. And I mean very viscous. Just a slight swirl of the glass leaves a coating covering the entire inside of the glass. It does pretty much the same to the inside of your mouth. Taking over and coating it more and more with every sip. A very well put together beer that has many ’o flavors going on. Some very smooth chocolate and high end coffee. The alcohol was subdued and refined due to the aging. Not as hot or dominating as a fresh bottle. A truly incredible beer, that reminds you every time that you drink it, why it’s this highly rated.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to Deuane for the bottle.

Pours a nice 1 1/2 finger head with decent lacing that fades fairly quickly Thick, dark brown color. Very viscous looking.

Smell is of pale and caramel malts. This is followed by mint, raisin, and black licorice. I also notice some chocolate malts and some roasted malt undertones. Hops are faint in the backround.

Taste is delightful. The flavors blend wonderfully. The chocolate malts are dominant with a significant balance from caramel malts. The hop bitterness isn't overly assertive at all and is just enough to balance out the thick syrupy sweetness of this beer. Oh man, yummy. Not that boozy for a 13% abv beer.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy.

For a 13% abv beer, you can't get more drinkable

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.