Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,749 | Hads: 5,986
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from chilled 12oz bottle into tulip glass.

A: A rich hazy amber-orange (beautiful color!) with a small beige head that sticks around, leaving nice lacing.

S: A wallop of citrus hops - it's like sticking your face in a grapefruit-pine-forest. Sweet caramel malts shine through on the end.

T: The is the most IPA-ish APA I've ever had, which is likely why it scores so consistently high with reviewers (though that's certainly not to say it isn't delicious enough to earn such ratings.) Strong citrus & pine hop presence with the perfect amount of bitterness supported by a hefty caramel malt backbone that keeps the finish perfectly bittersweet. Wonderful.

M: Medium-light body with great carbonation. Slightly oily. Delicious and refreshing.

D: This is one hell of a beer. 6.5% ABV is a tad high to be truly sessionable. However, it wouldn't be difficult in the least for me to polish off a sixer of this on my own.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Recieved from Josh (Alleykatking). Thanks buddy. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Unibroue Tulip.

A - Copper red in color as I pour with a very slight tinge of haziness in the glass. Still can see through it but its not crystal clear. Forms a nice 3 finger head as I pour and I have to stop pouring the last ounce or so because the head is coming out of the glass. The head is a tan / light off white color and looks pretty sticky but only some stays as the rest fades.

S - Smells of citrusy hops, pineapple, grapefruit and some orange. This beer has a nice malty smell to it as well which I like to smell in it. I smell some cinnamon or some spice in it as well. Intriguing.

T - Really smooth citrusy hops come through and stay there as the malt comes through after and add a nice smoothness to the beer. A very nice combination of flavors and complexities in this one, I really like the taste of this one. The flavor is so much bigger than the smell.

M - Good carbonation and a very crisp mouthfeel make this one nice and refreshing to go along with the nice flavors.

D - A very drinable beer, not something I'm reaching for first in the fridge but definitely a old standby that I could always rely on. Bummed out that FFF doesn't distribute to Ohio. That needs to happen again.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Copper to amber in color the beer poured a 1/2" tight head that dissipated slowly. The nose was filled with piney hops followed by a bit of grapefruit, spice and caramel. These flavors cointinue into the mouth which was concentrated and had good weight though remained light on its feet. The midpalate had richness and sweetness to it which gradually turned dry toward the finish. This is a really well made beer that I could drink all of the time.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Acquired from thickerfreakness. Thanks dude! Decanted from the bottle into a pint glass. Pours an amber color with a one-finger head that fizzles away quickly. Aroma of resiny hops, citrus hops, and big, sweet caramel malt. Taste starts with a pleasant resiny bitterness, then the citrus kicks in, and finally it finishes with caramel and bready malts. Nice medium body, with a quite high drinkability. Honestly this tastes more like an IPA to me, but I'm a hophead, so I'm quite into this beer.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to 3 Floyds for producing this incredible brew.
I poured this vigorously into an imperial pint. Dark, orange, hazy, thick looking with about one fat finger of very clingy foam. Left lacing that looks like a church window.
Super floral hoppy, citrusy fresh aroma, kinda piney.
Well rounded super hoppy, malty flavor, that improves as it warms. Bursting with flavor! This should be drank slowly, but goes down so easly. for me this is as about as good as it gets.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

received as an extra from TheTomG, thanks!

A - beautiful caramel brown
S - soft citrus notes with an even softer hint of pine
T - really nicely balanced malt/hop flavor that hits the spot. Huge fan of beers that have that kind of balance.
M - hop-linger and then salivation
D - if I had 6 of these, they would be gone tonight.

Almost everything I encouter that comes with hype ends up dissapointing me or pissing me off to the point that I stay away. Three Floyds and this beer in particular seemed overhyped but I gotta say, "damn good beer!'

Poured from a growler into a pint glass, thanks to calbertb2

A - Copper with a slight reddish tint and a nice two finger head, which stays around a little while but leaves some lacing as soon as it recedes. Some floaties as well.

S - I get pine off of this first with some citrus behind that. Lots of hops, with malt sweetness supporting it the whole way. Surprising hop presence for a pale ale and not an IPA. Nothing extraordinary, but it smells great - very well balanced.

T - I get more malt here than in the nose, but the hops immediately follow. Very close to the nose otherwise. Again, a little more hoppy than I would expect a pale ale to be. Very well balanced resulting in a kind of sweet, slightly bitter malty finish

M - A little bit flatter than I was expecting from the pour, but generally agreeable. Definitely very smooth with a nice lingering finish that continues to ask for another sip.

D - Extremely drinkable, had no problem finishing most of a growler by myself. The finish leads me to keep drinking more and more. There's nothing too special about it, but when I finish my glass I realize how good it was and pour another. I'd definitely like to get some more of this. One of the better American Pale Ale's I've had, holding its own with a lot of IPA's.

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a crappy little hotel tumbler glass from a too-cold bottle.

A: pours a ruddy orange with a decent white head that doesn't stick around too long but leaves decent lacing

S: great hop aroma, with a good malty backbone. This glass is really not codusive to this!

T: love. It's hoppy but not overly, malty sweet but not overly, just a great balance.

M: what I expect from a pale ale. Thin mouthfeel with light, zesty carbonation. Smooth.

D: very. Wish I had more right now!

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- Pours a slightly cloudy deep amber color. About one finger of creamy white head that sticks around. Leaves some beautiful lacing.

S- A very aromatic piney smell from the hops is dominant. I love the smell of the this beer.

T- The bitter hop flavor is plentiful and hits the palate first. This beer has a complexity of other flavors such as citrus and toasted malts.

M- Very crisp mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

O- Excellent APA that I could drink everyday. If this is something that you have never had, it is a must try. It is the standard for the style.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Three Floyds likes hops and alcohol. Personally, I'd call its Dreadknought IPA a double IPA and ths an IPA.. Fortunately, the penchant for "bigness" is counterbalanced with a lot of skill and taste, unlike, say, Dogfish Head which is in my opinion devoted to extremism for extremism's sake. This is a good and very drinkable beer.
The color is a medium/dark amber with a slight haze and nice dry, stiff head that persists and laces nicely. The aroma is overwhelmingly hops, floral and grassy.

The taste is much more balanced than the aroma suggests.Surprisingly rich and malty and up front, the hops are there for sure but more tangy and citrusy than the aroma and it finishes with a brisk bitterness and surprisingly clean aftertaste.

It's medium bodied with medium/high carbonation and very drinkable. I guess it's labeled an American Pale Ale because it uses American grown barley and hops but it's very similar in character to a traditional IPA and a very good one.

3.44/5  rDev -19.2%

I waited for awhile to try this beer. In fact, probably ever since I joined this website I've been wanting to try it. APAs and IPAs are my favorite two styles, and as this was highly ranked, was on my "to-drink" list, yet I could never find it at my local liquor stores. (Too much demand, limited quantities stocked).

Finally found this and tried it. Drinkable, with good but not intense hop flavors/aromas. Lighter body.

Overall it's just an OK pale ale. Not bad, just not great. If you have the option of buying a Daisy Cutter (and I know this isn't really a fair option to many), buy the DC. Daisy Cutter is by far a top example of the APA style, and has a certain crispness to it that Alpha King can't boast.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Pristine amber with thin, patchy head that fizzes up a little with each sip.
Smells like an IPA- hoppy, with some pineapple and bready aromas.
Tastes like an IPA as well, though perhaps not quite as bitter and hoppy as most IPAs. Some citrus and crackers. Definite bitterness on the finish though.
Mouthfeel is crisp and tingly, with a good level of carbonation.
Quite drinkable and quite tasty. Too bad I only have one bottle.
I'm very happy FFF brews are starting to turn up in some of the Wisconsin liquor stores. Looking forward to trying more from this brewery.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

A - The beer pours a light amber color with a very small off-white head.
The head does not retain well and you find very little lacing.

S - I smell a strong hop presence, although not overwhelming. I'm also getting some caramel malts as well.

T - The citrus flavor takes over this beer but it's balanced out nicely by the malts that are more apparent as the beer warms.

M - The beer has a medium body. It coats quite well for the style.

D - Supremely drinkable. I could have one of these every day. The only problem is, of course, that Three Floyds does not distribute to SoCal.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this one. It's one of my standbys. Shame on me. But, nevertheless, a good one to finish off the night.

Pours a hazy burnt orange-gold, with a light off-white head. Head doesn't last for long - it was a wuss pour, so chalk that up to me. The cap sticks around a while though. Great lacing. The nose is citrusy and has a fresh hoppy aroma, but it's not a hop bomb. In addition to the hop flavor, there's good malt backing, and as a result this is pretty balanced. It's smooth and drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A: Nice unique amber color with an off white head. Fair amount of carbonation.

S: Grapefruit and other citrus.

T: Strong taste of grapefruit and other citrus. Some caramel. Some bitterness from the hops.

M: Medium bodied with some slight sweetness from the fruits. Good lively carbonation.

D: Quite enjoyable.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

poured into pint glass, rich amber in color with a miniscule amount of head that dissipates quickly. Nose is definitely malty, caramel and roastyness. On the tongue this thing rocks, very crisp. Lots of piney aromatic hops up front, but the malty backbone tones them down a bit through out the end. A good amount of grapefruit comes out when it warms up, with i think compliments the malty characteristic. excellent brew to go with a late summers night dinner, or to exhaust fatigue from a hard day's struggle.

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

A- thick fluffy head (3 fingers in speigel IPA glass). Great lacing. Copper, almost ruby-red and clear, no haze.

S - classic 3 Floyd's clean, amazingly floral and citric, resinous hop aromas, with slight Carmel malt presence

F- Forward, rich Carmel and sweet bread are balanced out by big hop flavor (Centennial perhaps?).

M - perfect mouth feel for an APA. Smooth and drinkable, not too thick or syrupy

O - Overall, this is a great beer. One of my favorites. big Flavors on both sides of the spectrum, but they manage to find a perfect balance.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Three Floyds Alpha King a perfect example of a pale ale that is not dominated by a overwhelming presence of alcohol in a beer. The beer pours a copper color that reminds me of a amber ale with a nice head. Beer smells like grape fruit and whole wheat bread. Tast of this beer is something spectacular, the taste of the hops do not dominate this beer and blends smoothly with the malty finish of this beer. It is easy to drink a lot of these beers, but they do catch up with you given the modest ABV. Give this beer a try, you will not be dissapointed.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

A- Golden-brown. Clear with lots of carbonation. White, two finger head sits on top and dissipates a little, but a decent head sticks around.

S- Pineapple, lemon, orange, pine, hoppy.

T- Same as the smell, but with a great malt backbone to balance out the hopiness.

M- Good mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation makes this one refreshing.

D- Excellent. It's always hard for me to judge APA's because I have a tendency to think of them as weak IPA's, but keeping the style in mind, it's hard to think of too many ways this could improve.

2.9/5  rDev -31.9%

A friend left this in my fridge so I endulged today.

Poured into a pint glass. Poured into a dark amber/copper color with a finger head that laces down the glass as you drink.

Has a piny smell, not too strong.

Has a balance taste of hops and some fruits.

Has a medium mouthfeel with perfect amount of carbonation.

I personally don't like IPA's so I marked it as a low drinkablity.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

I love Alpha King. It was one of the first craft beers I really got into when living in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago, around 2003. There was a liquor store down the street that had 3-4 craft beers and this was one of them. (Another was a spoiled sixer of Abita Turbodog I bought once. It was AWFUL. Pure soy sauce!). I loved Alpha King from the start, and still do. I drank it when I was at the brewery way back then, before the brewpub existed and it was just a well-lit factory atmosphere. Some old-timers were drinking their Light Lager offering and eating some potato chips they had brought. It ruled. Citrus, caramel malt, a bit sticky, excellent. I had it on tap at MacNiven's during lunch (a liquid lunch in my case).. to celebrate the end of my first semester at grad school. I also had Bell's Sparkling Ale, which I was less impressed by but still enjoyed. Indianapolis is a good beer city. We have lots of good options.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle (my one and only bottle) into a pint glass you see on those lame Sam Adam's Boston Lager commercials.
Alpha King pours a reddish amber with minimal head. I wish I had multiple bottles to see if that was the case with just this pour, but nope. The foam resides quickly after giving a good show for a few seconds and then proceeds to lace the glass as I continue to drink. The smell has a certain fruit characteristic to it and makes Alpha King smell kind of bitter. It's very reminiscent of an IPA actually in its smell, which made me check the bottle (the only bottle I have) to see if it in fact was an IPA in which in fact it was not, it's a pale ale; welcome to obvious statements by Josh. Alpha King actually has a very present hops flavor which I quite enjoy. The moderately bitter fruit taste, grapefruit, blends well with the malts that it makes me wish Three Floyd's distributed to Missouri. I really enjoy this beer, it reminds me of going to see Royal's Baseball games with my Dad when I was little kid. Except neither of us were drinking and this beer wouldn't be in the memory and the Royal's probably lost, not characteristic of this beer. Alpha King is something I could see myself relaxing with on a summer day watching a Baseball game or [fill in your favorite sporting event here].

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Ruddy brown or caramel colored body is brilliantly clear. Slightly khaki and cream head is long lived and lacing is good.

S - Big cascade hop smell to me, which is to say grainy and slight citrus. Decent malt backbone to it, there are no huge citrus/tropical fruit smells to it at all. Perhaps a slight orange characteristic in there somewhere.

T - Huge cascade notes with the signature grapefruit taste. Very similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which isn't a bad thing at all. This one tastes a bit sweeter with some more orange characteristic to it and the malt bill is more present. A really nice bitterness level throughout and a pretty dry finish considering how relatively sweet it is.

M - Medium bodied with a good level of carbonation and no alcohol burn.

O - A really good pale ale. If this was around my area of living it would be a staple alongside SNPA. Overall it's nothing PHENOMENAL or revolutionary, but it's a damn good drinking beer.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours hazy Carmel with an off white foam. That 3 Floyds nose hits, this is a great smelling beer, hops fruity with some pine, not a lot of malt for me. Smooth body light/medium. Lemon acidity on sides of tounge right away, then the hit of bitterness, then piney resony after taste with the bitterness fading. Really drinkable. Not as bitter or fruit as Zombie but smoother. Excellent brew.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Clear orange, lighly tan head, nice lacing anda few floaties. Fresh, and very fresh, fruity/hoppy aroma. Big hop flavors roll over some nice malts with a big hop bitter finish. The hops linger nicely. Very creamy mouth feel. Very drinkable and quenching. THis is a great session brew, and a welcome addition to my cellar!

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.