St. Bernardus Tripel - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus TripelSt. Bernardus Tripel

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,227 | Hads: 2,931
1.59/5  rDev -62.4%

My first Tripel style beer, I spit it on my counter. The flavors of fruit combined with a bitter aftertaste left one bottle down the drain, and three still sitting in their case. Anyone near me is welcome to the other three. While I am confident in the quality of this product, this style is definitely not for me.

2.38/5  rDev -43.7%

Poured a dark golden color with a two finger head (pretty aggressive pour).

Smell was more faint with some yeast and fruitiness.

Taste was a bit of a surprise. The only thing I could get out of this tripel was a banana/clove/nutmeg flavor (heavy on the nutmeg). These are not really flavors that I like in my beer and that's all my mind would focus on.

Beside the taste it was a drinkable beer, as it wasn't a heavy beer to me.

Unfortunately not one of my favorites. You can't like'em all.

2.56/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured into a St. Bernardus Chalice.

A: Cloudy gold to orange color.

S: Over-ripe bananas, cloves.

T: Tropical fruit, hint of bubble gum, and some slight bitterness at the end.

M: Light and carbonated.

I didn't particularly enjoy this beer as it tasted a little funky to me. The mouthfeel would have made this an easy to drink beer, but the flover just didn't do it for me.

2.58/5  rDev -39%

A - Pours a cloudy copper with a one finger white head that dissipates in a minute. No lacing. Visible chunks of brown sediment float about in the beer. Very dark for a tripel, and chunks are not something I like in my beer. I hope this isn't spoiled. The flecks of sediment are a really, really big turnoff.

S - Dates, barley, molasses, apples and a bit of citrus. Smell is alright, the citrus clashes with the molasses and dates, but individually they are all pleasant odors.

T - Tastes very strongly of barley and sweet molasses. Nothing else except when the sweetness turns into a ascerbic aftertaste. It isn't that bad. But it really isn't that good.

M - Ugh. It is thin, carbonation is biting on the tounge (even though it doesn't foam or bubble like it is intensely carbonated) and leaves a film in my mouth. Sure, it quenches my thirst, but at what cost?

D - Either this is a bad bottle and this tripel spoils amazingly well, which I doubt (bottled 2004), or this is simply not a beer I enjoy. I have yet to taste a tripel that I would not choose over St Bernardus.

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle. Left a one finger head that quickly dissipated to just surface skim, no lacing. Body was a hazy light orange amber with some crazy carbonation visible.

Smell - esters; bananas, overripe apples and pears. Some phenols. Chalky yeast.

Taste - as promised by the smell. Overripe apples and pears with bananas washed through. Finishes with chalky yeast. Well hidden alcohol, can't taste it all.

Mouthfeel - thin to moderate, very fluid, highly carbonated.

Drinkability - This was not bad, but it was not terribly great either. I would probably not seek this out again. Anyway, high abv also restricts it to one per session for those who like it, although again high abv is well hidden, so be careful.

2.88/5  rDev -31.9%

This beer looks like a golden snowglobe. Lots of suspended yeast. The Color is a light golden with a fair head. The smell is similar to a light beer with a alcohol bite. The taste is of alcohol with a corn-like presence. I prefer the St. Bernardus 8 to this by a wide margin. I may come back to this one at some point but the 8 has my money as of now.

2.88/5  rDev -31.9%

Cloudy gold with a three finger white head with poor retention and little lacing. The aroma is very sweet, maybe even overly sweet. Candy sugar, grape bubblegum, spices, hops, and Belgian yeast.

The taste is just like the aroma. Sweet, in fact too sweet. Candy sugar, grape bubblegum, Belgian yeast, spice hops, and some pepper. This is sweeter than I would like it to be.

Light bodied, above average carbonation, with a sweet aftertaste. I know Tripels tend to be sweet, and I really like sweet beers, but the sweetness of this beer went overboard for me.

I want to be kind to this for its complexity, but I didn't find it highly drinkable overall.

A- Cloudy orange/brown with thin white bubbly head and slightly creamy walls of lace.

S- Spices and cloves are dominate. Fruity qualities. Dark and light fruit. Citrus overpowers.

T- Tart grapefruit, and lemon peel, bitter front and finish with rich caramel middle. hints of orange. Spice throughout. Peppery finish.

M- Tingly, over carbonated

D- Bitter, tart and overcarbonated. Hard to swallow even for its style in my opinion. Peppery finish makes it especially harsh.

A- Half inch white bubbly head that dissipates quickly. almost no lacing with this beer. Clear light gold in color.

S- Very sweet with brown sugar, caramel and other sweet aromas. Some earthy yeast aromas as well as some roasted nuts.

T- Alcohol overwhelms the flavor so its hard to taste much else. Some caramel sweetness, yeast and light hops make an appearance.

M- Medium bodied with lost of harsh alcohol.

Overall- This beer may have some good flavors to it but i could not tell over the alcohol.

Not even going to fully review this beer. It was such a huge disappointment. From a reputable dealer so I know nothing was wrong with it either. It is way too carbonated and fizzy, so plain tasting, and I dare say it tasted like a slightly better Budweiser. Nothing about this beer tasted good or of anything interesting. Now, it's not disgusting or horrible, but it was borderline bad. I'm giving it a 3 because I don't want to rip such an apparent "legend" but it was worse than that. Super disappointed :(

3.04/5  rDev -28.1%

Just like every beer I've gotten in this St. Bernardus variety pack, it immediately foams up so I can't pour it without getting all the sediment. This is very frustrating and quite a waste.

A - A muddied brown color that is way darker than it should be for a tripel with huge chunks of sediment in it.

S - Smells of alcohol, lemons, and here's a shocker, yeast. Apples and pears too.

T - Mainly just yeast. Hints of fruit and stuff but mainly just yeast.

M - Nice carbonation, creaminess.

D - If only all of St. Bernardus's stuff didn't do this to me then I would be happy. Maybe I'll have to try one of the 750's, but if that does this I'll be extremely unhappy. Honestly, what's probably a great tripel ended up being a drainpour.

3.07/5  rDev -27.4%

From Total Wine in Roseville

A - Very foamy, lots of head, very carbonated, pours a see through light-golden color. Dissipates moderately fast.

S - Cloves, cinnamon, golden raisin, and slt alcohol.

T - Very biscuity, clove, spicy hops, and slightly peppery.

M - Peppery, yet sour, with notes of alcohol.

D - Drinkable, yet don't really care for this brand of tripel. Wondering why others like this beer so much. Several improvements could be made in the appearance, taste, and mouthfeel to be made into a more drinkable beer.

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%

P: Golden color with huge white head, not much lacing.

S: I mostly smelled yeast with a little hint of fruit.

T: Yeast, pretty much exactly like the nose.

M: very carbonated, not too much going on.

D: I wasnt really impressed, my first experiences with a tripel, so maybe I tried the wrong one.

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%

Presentation: 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet.

A- Pours a hazy light golden/orange, loaded with sediment, which remain suspended as a well mixed solution, but eventually collect on the bottom of the glass. ~2 fingers of pure white head, which fades gradually, leaving a thin, incomplete and petri-dish looking cap. No lacing noted.

S- A sightly funky green-apple/light fruit bouquet.

T- Hoppy, sweet bannana flavors hit first. Lightly bitter, alcohol infused, slightly funky yeasty finish. Bit more alcohol bite than I'd anticipated.

M- Prickling carbonation, yet fairly creamy.

D- OK. A bit too boozy tasting for me to want more than one.

Future outlook: Eh, hard to say. Decent, but uninspiring IMO, so I won't soon seek it out again.

3.19/5  rDev -24.6%

Bottle label has been punched at 3, 8 and 9, although im not sure if that means anything.

Huge white head (4 inches) that goes down to about 1/8 inch aver period of 10 minutes. Lots of nice lacing. tawny bronze color with lots of sediment.

Odor is mostly alcohol with malts, citrus (like sour fruits) and soy sauce.

Intricate flavor hidden beneath a really prevelant alcohol bite. Alcohol is too much to deal with at times.

tongue-numbing and tingly.

not too hot on this Tripel. i was excited because it was a christmas gift but it just didn't do anything for me. ive had better, and this just didnt cut it for me, especially because of the predominence of the alcohol.

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

280708---I'm interpreting this as best before July 28th 2008
Cloudy golden orange in color with an everlasting 2 finger white head. Lot's a lacing.
Smells floral, herbal and fruity. Nice.
Lemon and apricot in the flavor. A bit spicy. IMHO the fruit and spice flavors just don't mix well.
The mouthfeel is what really disappoints me. It's too carbonated and chalky feeling.
Drinkability is only fair. Would be much better, but I just really don't like the mouthfeel.
I'm not saying it's a bad beer. In fact I consider it a must try. But....I'd have other Triples before this one.

3.21/5  rDev -24.1%

A: Golden orange color beer with a bubbly, frothy head that never dissipates.
S: Green apple juice, alcohol.
T: Distinct ester presence of tart fruits, cloves. Very mellow diacetyl caramel upon warming. Potentially, there is a detectable coriander spice. Noticeable husky flavors that seem harsh and astringent like. An on the dryer side tripel with light phenolic properties.
M: Crisp, light medium body with a vigorous sharp carbonation that helps take away from husky harshness.
D: Cloyingness from the astringent like after taste gives this beer average drinkablility.

Notes: The pronounced harsh flavors I experienced in this beer can perhaps be due to a bad bottle.

3.21/5  rDev -24.1%

I poured this beer into a tulip glass. The color is golden. The head is thick with very good retention. The aroma is mostly yeast phenolics with just a trace of malt, nothing extraordinary. Upon tasting, it has a nice balance between the yeast, malt and hops. It's almost a little too balanced. However there is a subtle sweetness to it, but perhaps a little too subdued to make it exceptional. It has a creamy, medium-light body with high carbonation.

Overall, this is a decent offering of the Tripel style, but it's a little too ordinary for my taste. I can drink this, but I wouldn't be writing home about it the next day. I would most likely recommend another brewery if someone inquired which commercial tripel to purchase. St. Bernardus offers other varieties that I feel are superior to this.

3.23/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured a hazy yellow with lots of floaties and large white head that settles to a ring with a slight coating. minimal lacing

Smell is of alcohol and some spicy hops

This is my least favorite of the St. Bernardus beers by far. Almost too tangy, not enough sweetness to balance out the belgian yeast and spicy hops. Not bready enough for me.

Fairly thin and quite carbonated.

I can drink this, but i wont make a conscious decision to buy it again. The dubbel is a much better, more balanced beer IMO

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Slightly cloudy beer with a beautiful head.

S: Can recognize the smell of anise and the smell of lemon.

T: Spicy and slightly bitter beer.

M: Spicy beer with a slight tingling sensation and a moderate foam.

O: Fairly drinkable and tasty beer.

3.27/5  rDev -22.7%

just want to say thanks to mr.moneyman for my two bottles, much appreciated ... interesting brew ... some honey and belgian honeycomb blocks of caramel .... is a tasty little morsel ... never wear sunglasses at night.. would have to say this is a very mellow trippel, maybe to much for some...

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

Apricot-pineapple colored and cloudy with big chunky particles floating and suspended. A high head of chunky light-orange foam rises up and remains. Aroma is light, consisting of lemon and mango. Flavor is a bit yeasty, some lemon and spice and a slight cherry undertone. The ABV makes itself known with a bitter finish. Not as complex as I had anticipated. Thanks to MJR for sharing.

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

Dark yellow with a few sediments left, generous head. Malty and yeasty aroma. The taste is very malty sweet with a decent fruitiness of oranges, lemon, bananas and mango, a little sour, lightly bitter finish. It's not poorly done, but I certainly expected more from a tripel, especially from this brewery. A ton of better examples out there with far more interesting yeast strain.

3.29/5  rDev -22.2%

Served on draught into a St. Bernardus goblet in Poperinge, Belgium, whilst waiting for a belbus to pick me up to take me to the Westvleteren abbey. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head with nice cream lacing. Decent thickness. Hazy orange colour. Poor retention is understandable considering the 8% ABV.

Sm: Fruit esters: orange and citrus mainly. Hoppy but light strength.

T: Hoppy body with lingering estery notes through the finish. Relatively simple build for a tripel. Balanced but somewhat bland. Not a beer to be served at cold draught temperature; it's better suited as a summer afternoon beer to be sipped intermittently.

Mf: A bit chewy, but delightfully light. Nicely smooth and refreshing.

Dr: Nothing special, but fairly priced if you're in Belgium. Give it a go, but don't expect a great abbey beer.

3.29/5  rDev -22.2%

A= a dark golden color with a huge head. This bottle gushed all over the place on me.
S= decent but not a great nose. Coffee and chocolate dominate.
T= watery with some coffee flavors in it. A lot more water than I expected.
M= watery. Maybe this one gushed out all of its carbonation.
D= average. This is a good intro to belgians I think. Its not over powering with the complex flavors but its still got the asic taste. Very nice.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV