Earl Coffee Oatmeal Stout - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 09-09-2010

Earl (1911-1985) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Stout is crafted from American malted barley, Flaked Oats, English roasted malts, American hops, Organic Guatemalan Coffee, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. A silhouette of coffee and malt - an embodiment of complexity and drinkability, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Earl.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Reviews by lovindahops:
4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Onto Earl, Hill Farmsteads oatmeal stout. I am a huge coffee lover and therefore a huge coffee stout and coffee porter lover. Growler obtained at Hill Farmstead on Saturday December 29th

A- earl pours a massive opaque body with a mocha head of foam that elevates over the body of the brew from the pour. A rich chocolate latte cover remains as the subsiding occurs. Good lacing on the edges with a dark glow seems to be positioning this brew as a big time coffee rush

S- a rush of coffee beans and a delicious flakes oat scent is immediately dispensed from the head. Some chocolate and mocha flavors are evident in the background along with a bitter hop scent with is a delight. I even get a slight vanilla theme that rounds it off as some cream in the coffee feeling

T- Nailed it!!!! Bitter coffee flavors are enhanced with the chocolate and oatmeal flavors I seek out. There is no question Shaun concentrated on utilizing the coffee component to enhance the stout instead of relying on just the flaked outs. There are some mean beans in this brew. Not to mention the sweet vanilla flavors as well as some excellent roasty flavor

M- smooth and creamy simultaneously. furthermore, there is a bitter and roasty flavor happening

O- again, this is what I look for in a coffee stout. An all out assault on coffee flavors. In my opinion, this is the best coffee stout I have had since wake n bake. I wish I could do a side by side with these two.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

500ml bottle - dated 08/17/2015 - into a cool tulip. L: Deep black and opaque with a modest brown head which fades quickly leaving big bubbles and slight lacing. S: Coffee and sweet malt, of course, with floral, earthy notes. Smells like light rain on a hot sidewalk. T: Sweet-bitter malt right on top with lingering coffee and some dark chocolate, maybe some grape? earthy, minerals. F: smooth and creamy, slight, tight carbonation, slight mineral tang lingering on the tongue. O: I honestly tried to linger over this and savor it but it was so massively tasty I practically siphoned it down and had to open a second one to finish writing the review.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: minimal head, dark brown in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: coffee dominates

Taste: big coffee and robust roasted malt with some citrus hops at the end

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation, medium-heavy bodied, sweet with a bitter finish

Overall: Another Hill Farmstead brew..another beer right at the top of its class. Exceptional for a coffee stout. While this is not my favorite style, the coffee is not too bitter but it is highly present. If I were to reach for a coffee stout, this is where I would go to.

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap poured into an Allagash Tulip. Shaun can we get some more Hill Farmstead glassware in VT bars?

Pours a very nice super dark brown to almost black with a very thick and creamy dark brown fine head. Nose is sweet, coffee, malt, brown sugar, caramel.

Taste is just like the nose, coffee, chocolate, lotsa brown suga, it's a bit sharp and crisp. Really a good beer with a nice warm and thick mouthfeel. It's got a nice rich mouthfeel that's very tasty.

4.43/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at blackback pub.

Black pour, gives way to dark ruby and brown notes at the top of the glass.

Smells sweet and of oatmeal, a good sign considering what it is. Strong coffee scent mingled with the sweetness smells enticing.

Tastes fantastic, bittersweet oatmeal, very thick on the palate. Strong roasted coffee notes. Lingering aftertaste. Delicious.

This bests FBS as my favorite coffee oatmeal stout. A great offering from hill farmstead! Wish it was available closer to me though...

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Had on tap at Farmhouse Tap and Grill. Review from notes.

A: Dark black with one finger brown head. Slow dissipation leaving bits of lacing.

S: A roasted aroma, with some coffee and a little bit of chocolate on the initial whiff. There is also some oatmeal and hints of toffee. Like others noted, I am glad that this is not overwhelmingly coffee smelling.

T: Sweeter than expected, but in a good way. Not has harsh/bitter as some coffee stouts, this is most likely from the oatmeal. Besides the coffee/oatmeal flavors I also get some chocolate and even a little bit of a hop kick.

M/D: Medium bodied with great carbonation. Overall, very nice. I was glad that the coffee wasn't in the forefront. The sweetness from the oatmeal was really nice as was the little bit of hops.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

To be honest I don't normally gravitate towards oatmeal in beers or for breakfast. If I hadn't sat next to a much more knowledgable HFarmstead person and started talking with him I would have not bought Earl at ALL. But he told me it didn't come around all that often so I bought some and am really glad I did after I just drank my first one tonight. Earl is just so smooth and full of compatible tastes to drink. And savor. Who ever you were who suggested I should consider getting some a hearty THANK YOU.

Earl Coffee Oatmeal Stout from Hill Farmstead Brewery