Maximus - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maximus Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,479 | Hads: 5,156
4.55/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a deep golden color with a finger of head with perfect staying power. A fine lace remains down the entire glass as the beer goes down, and goes down smooth.

S: Terrific hop aroma, floral, sweet, citrus all at once.

T: Amazing taste, an awesome double. Sweet on the start, hop bitterness to follow and a dry, floral, citrus/grapefruit finish to round it out.

M: Perfect feel, carbonation, couldn't be better.

O: A great beer, I honestly can not find any flaws. Love it.

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Maximus is back! This brew pours a bright and deep golden with impressive head retention and lace. The malt is not very upfront, but definitely a polite and sweet presence beneath an abundance of glorious hops. A little grassiness and a big, big finish. The aftertaste lingers like an old friend that you don't mind if he sleeps on your couch and raids the refrigerator.

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured Maximus into a Belgian Tulip.

A - Pours a clear dark golden with a two full fingers of white head.

S - Nice aroma on this IPA. I'm getting tropical paradise of pineapple, citrus, orange, maybe slight coconut.

T - Very nice flavor here as well. Getting grapefruit, pineapple, citrus, pine needles.
Mid palate getting a little light toasted malt with more bitter hops. On the aftertaste getting more citrus and hops.

M - Mouthfeel is medium leaning towards a heavy with medium carbonation.

O - I love this brew. I think Lagunitas has the IPA's down. Highly recommended! Cheers!!

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Quite pale with slight orange hue,nice creamy head with decent retention.

S- Sweet grapefruit/citrus rind hop notes,quite pleasant indeed

T- Mmm...Sweet grapefruit with citrus rind indicated by aroma with sufficient caramel malt backing,quite delicious with good pleasant hop caracter,never bitter or harsh.

M-Creamy mouthfeel with near perfect body.

D- Above average either sip it or knock'em back

I really enjoy hoppy beers so I often reach for big America IPA's and DIPA's.This was a most pleasant revisit to A DIPA I did not fully appreciate the first time around.If you like IPA's and DIPA's check this one out I find it very enjoyable.Hoppy Holidays.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours slightly coppery golden color with a small head and lots of carbonation. Head is off white. Smell is beautiful. It is exactly the rich, piney floral hoppy aroma that I want to fill my olfactory system. I could smell this all day, but I'll drink it instead.

Taste is surprisingly muted compared to the smell -- still quite good. Nice balance of citrusy sweetness, pine, and grapefruit rind.

Mouthfeel is light but slightly sticky. Overall, this is an excellent beer.

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle

A: Aggressive side pour into a 12 oz taster glass. Giant, slightly off-white head very slowly receding. Super sticky lacing. A beautiful golden color with particles seen.

S: Hops, sweet malt, citrus, grapefruit.

T: Very nice hops and sweet malt malt well balanced and upfront. Some serious bitterness on the back end and finally a barely detectable alcohol. I taste some breadiness in there too.

M: Smooth and creamy up front with the hops following up and finally a nice warmth from the alcohols

O: This is a great example of a Double IPA. The alcohol is well hidden and I like the price point. Also I keep on wanting to take another sip even though on the bottle it says "Life is Uncertain. Don't sip. This is a great beer at a nice price point. I need to keep a few around. A very nice and unusually unique example of a DIPA.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yeah!!! I am in love with this beer. It pours a rich copper color with an off white head that is chunky and lasts down to the bottom of the mug. Its aroma is dank and grassy with sharp citrus notes that create a crisp overall perception. Caramel also creeps though in the nose. This beer is clear as hell, beautiful! For certian this beer is balanced to the side of bitter but a round bitterness it is indeed. What a great beer, crisp and easy drinking. Where is the alcohol? Dangerous in its drinkablity. My new favorite IIPA.

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%

Served from a 22oz bomber in a pint glass at cellar temperature.

A - Bright, clear, vibrant copper-orange, pushing up a huge, uniformly bubbled cream colored head. Staying power of the head is fantastic, and the lacing is chunky and sticky, forming rings as the pint is drained. How YOU doin'?

S - Fresh CA hops dominate the nose; crisply sappy and piney, with only a touch of citrus. Candy/caramel malt character can be discerned beneath, but the hops are definitely sitting on it's head. Undercomplicated but pleasant.

T - Unassuming malt sweetness up front that provides the honey drizzled atop the half-grapefruit hops. Bitterness is mild compared to so many of the "uber" DIPAs that try to kick your palette's proverbial ass, and lingers only slightly after the swallow. Aftertaste is refreshing and bright with hops. Very nice.

M - Creamy and smooth. Carbonation is just above what one might get out of a cask -- and that scores huge points for me, especially since DIPAs can easily suffer from overcarbonation, resulting in acridity. Round and balanced in the mouth with a seafoam roll that sends it straight down the pipes. Wow. I'm already halfway done with my pint... The alcohol is very well hidden and the low(er) carbonation makes it super slick. Fantastic!

D - In the land of DIPAs, this beer is the jack of all trades. Great look. Great smell. Great taste and balance. Great mouthfeel. Great resultant drinkability. A definite example of how *not* to overdo the style.

[insert sigh of relief and contentment here]

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

05/07/05- Purchased at Bevmo in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber with no dates, poured into my Stone IPA tulip.

Appearance- Great orange-yellow color with a huge while chunky head with tons of sticky lacing.

Smell- Sweet hoppy smell mostly. A pine of pine, but lots of grapefruit.

Taste- This one is mostly fruity hops rather than resinous pine hops. Bitter, but in a sweeter fruity way. Hefty grapefruit taste, with a decent malt base. Well balanced brew.

Mouthfeel- Moderate carbonation and a heavier mouthfeel due to the sweetness of the beer.

Drinkability- Polished off a bomber over half a movie last night. Extremely tasty beer and a great one if you like your bitterness from a fruity side rather than a pine needle forest. Definitely the best value for a bomber I have had to date ($2.99). Go out and grab some today.

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I can't find anything wrong with this one, personally. I was tempted to give 5/5 on everything, but that would just make me look like the noob that perhaps I am, and to say that I haven't found or won't find a better beer than this - well that's just crazy talk. Call me optimistic.

I poured a Pint 6oz bottle into a tall glass. Maximus has pretty much everything I crave, and then some. My only initial hesitation with the flavor was the slightly stronger maltiness than I'm used to, but I quickly got used to it. The nice alcoholic grapefruit finish feels great in the mouth. The amount of hops is just right. I had the opportunity to compare 5 IPA/DIPA's this week. Anderson's Hop Ottin', Stone Ruination, Stone IPA, Stone Arrogant Bastard (which may or may not technically be an IPA), and this one. This was my favorite of the 5. I went back and purchased another bottle the next day.

This will be a go-to for me from now on.

4.52/5  rDev +14.4%

Advertised as an imperial IPA, I can see where it has a few shortcomings. But given the relative cost for its flavor, i'd rate it very highly. The hop is not as aggressive as i'd like for an 'imperial,' but it is quite flavorful; good citrus hop with a strong malt balance. It might be more appropriate in the IPA category, but I challenge anyone (at least based on Chicagoland beer prices) to find a comparable flavor for its price. Highly recommended as a good value.

4.52/5  rDev +14.4%

Pure, amber color with fine, white lacing that lasted the entire glass.

Giant burst of floral and citrus hops in the nose fade to subtle earthy malt aromas.

Perfectly balanced citrus hops and bready malts compete for attention on the tongue. The winner is me. Goes down very smooth for an 8.2% ABV DIPA. Not a session beer by any means, but I'll have another one of these very soon.

Lagunitas Maximus IPA

Poured from a bomber into a tulip

A-Pours a light amber color with a giant sticky head that lasts quite a while. Much lacing is present even after sipping.

S-Mostly a fresh hop aroma with a good balance between pine and floral aroma. A slight hint of caramel may also be detected.

T- Wow! Much better than I was expecting. This is the first beer by this brewery and I can't wait to try more. A little sweeter than I would have expected. This is a very hoppy beer, but not over done. Very ripe with citrus hops and a light syrupy pine flavor.

MF- A medium bodied beer that is sticky and a little chewy but with a dry finish at the same time.
D- I could drink this beer all day or at least until the alcohol hit me. Very drinkable for a double IPA. If I did not know I wouldn't guess this is a DIPA. Two thumbs up and I would hope I can get this beer again.

4.52/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Clear copper with a golden head and lazy flowing carbonation.

Smell: Pine and citrus. Hints of butter and spice.

Taste: Perfect initial bitterness followed by slightly sweet flavors provides balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. This brew has great staying power.

Drinkability: Easy to enjoy. Perfectly aggressive.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

L: Pours brilliant gold copper amber under a 1” cream colored clingy foam cap.
S: Pine forest hop aromas.
T: Attacks with a solid malt background with some traces of caramel culminating in a big citrus rind bitterness.
F: Exceptionally creamy texture, soft medium low carbonation, medium to medium high body.
O: This is a beer where big malt tangles with big hops and the result is pretty much a draw.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: Now this is truly foam and this is one of the most difficult pours had my pint at a complete 30 degree angle at the beginning of the pour I have four fingers of head on it, well it appears a wonderful copper orange hue with massive copious amounts of off white frothy head, did I mention the loads and loads of hop particles floating in my pint I love it. These west coasters sure do know how to hop a beer! Aroma: Huge citrus and pine tones flood the senses but the just as massive amount of malt in this beer is prevalent in the scent very rich and fulfilling on all levels what a beer. This beer is as heavenly as the ocean breeze it's just way to nice, a smell that is all by itself a must try. Taste: Honey syrup tones lie beneath a wave of juicy hop citrus and pine and earthy goodness what a friggin beer we have here. So many layers of hops within the beer yet so complex with malt sweetness and don't get me started on the texture. Mouthfeel: Full bodied as they come with chewy texture gelatinou head adds to this experience there are proteins and texture in the foam by itself whenn blended with the beer, all I can say is wow. Drinkability: Despite all of these huge massive tones of flavor, aroma, appearance, this beers drinkability is increased by the complexity alone and once you taste and fully enjoy this cherished beer than you'll be able to relate to this review seek this one out yet this is an original experience from beginning to end of the beer.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

12oz bottle poured into a milkshake pilsner glass. There is a date/batch/bottling stamp on the neck, but what the numbers mean is unknown to me.

Appearance: Crystal clear copper ale with golden notes. Pour gave a 1/4" dense off-white foam that died down to a decent ring at the edge of the glass and a thin foam film across the top. Persistent strands and small sheets of lacing noted. Large bubbles coming up consistently through the beer - nice to look at.

Smell: Oh man this smells good. Strong papaya and mango with a hint of pine.

Taste: A hop bomb, but well balanced with malt. Up front immediate hoppiness with the tropical fruit flavors, then moving into a blended sweet/hop bitter flavor, and then a strong piney, but not overpowering, finish. A smooth sipper and the malt is there at each step to temper the bitterness, but not get in the way.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but quite smooth. Carbonation is there on the tongue, but just right - not fizzy, not scouring. Yields a hoppy burp from time to time - not that I'm complaining mind you. Definitely some hop oil residue clinging to the teeth, but I think the carbonation that is here helps to pull some of it off, just not all of it.

Overall / Drinkability: I REALLY enjoyed this beer. Dangerously drinkable (I finished this off fairly quickly and want another), works as a smooth sipper on its own and as a great beer with a meal for washing things down (cinnamon beef stew in this case - would go great with a Burger too I think). Quite good and definitely worth picking up again. This may be my new favorite DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance 4.25: Pours out a coppery golden color. Excellent lacing and decent (1/4") head.

Smell 4.75: Wow! Huge bouquet on this brew. Apricot, pine, pineapple upside down cake...just amazing aromas from the hop blend.

Taste 4.5: Front is all alkaline bitterness. Middle is where a huge wave of mid-sweetness malt and the 101st airborne of hop blends invades your palate and takes no prisoners. Pine, grapefruit rind, rye...just amazing flavors at this level. Finish is tangy, slightly dry and very satisfying. Finish is a delightfully malty alkaline hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel 4.0: Great mouthfeel, but a little too much on the CO2 for this style, IMHO. Also missing a certain "creamy" middle feel of the palate which so many Imperial IPAs feature.

Overall 4.5: Excellent beer and another hop masterpiece from lagunitas. Great with greasy food, but fantastic for sessioning, this monster "Imperial" (that means a high ABV, BTW) is a must have for all the hop-heads out there. Definitely worth tracking down. A certain Roman Gladiator would be proud.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

I've read other positive reviews about this and I completely agree. I'm a big fan of Lagunitas and this has to be one of their best. Deliciously hoppy with a wave of citrus and heavy pine notes. The carbonation is perfect. What a wonderful example of a double IPA. I think I'll have another!

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a translucent reddish-copper with minimal head. Aroma is spicy hops, very enticing. I was quite impressed with this Lagunitas offering. Taste is primarily bitter, spicy hops with a solid malt overlay - hints of citrus and tangy tangerine. Smooth, spicy mouthfeel. An excellent double IPA for the price - 4.39 for a bomber. Very drinkable, even at 7.5%.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a clear, golden/copper color. 1 and 1/2 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of strong hops and sweet malt in the background. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial IPA. Mouth feel is smooth and chewy with an average carbonation level. The bitterness was present, but not overpowering. Tastes of strong hops up front and sweet malt in the background with some noticeable dryness. Overall, a really tasty brew - I recommend this beer.

Enjoyed in a pint glass
A: Aggressive pour yields 1 finger off-white head with good retention. Chill hazy dark amber liquid. Pretty, darn near ideal!
S: Orange rind, pineapple, caramel. Delightful but just slightly less than perfect in diversity.
T: Bitter, but enough malt to balance but not equal the hops. So nice.
M: Very nicely bitter. Kind of warm. Very pleasant.
D: I will buy a sixer of this and would definitely order another. One of the best DIPAs I've had. Far better than I remember it being.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Slightly more bitter than I had expected but one needs to remember it's a double IPA .. very easy drinking considering it's 8.2% .. high quality, like all other Lagunitas beers I have drunk over the years. Highly recommended (I enjoyed it with ribs)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Hazy orange colour, with a thick head that leaves lots and lots of lace on the glass. Aroma is pungent, resinous grapefuit, with nice floral overtones. The flovour is awesome. Very hoppy with a nice delicate malt background. Bitterness is smooth, but very present. Medium bodied, with a medium carbonation level. Has a nice dry and bitter finish. At 7.5% ABV this is a smaller, more sessionable DIPA and I like that. One of the better examples Ive ever had.
"sessionable DIPA, is that an oxymoron?"

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a cloudy orange copper color with a thick and creamy white head that does a great job of clinging to the sides of the glass while drinking. Strong floral hops in the aroma with notes of lemon and orange peel. The I.B.U. is a 72.41, so as you might expect, it’s quite bitter. Hop resins dominate the flavor with notes of tart, fresh grapefruit. A definite treat for hopheads out there. I don’t necessarily consider myself to be a hophead, but I really enjoyed this beer.

Maximus from Lagunitas Brewing Company