Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,659 | Hads: 4,220
3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

A. Slightly pale hazy (even after the beer settled it seemed there was still suspended sediment) yellow, very little head that dissipated rather quickly.

S. A very upfront alcohol smell, also an acidic citrus smell.

T. First taste had a strong sharpness with a light fruity profile and a light hoppy finish.

M. Crisp, light almost a creamy delicate beer with some body.

D. It was a good beer not extremely drinkable not something you have to force down. I'd personally drink 2 or 3 of these and enjoy every moment.

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into a chalice from a bottle. The beer pours a light gold, forming a massive fluffy 1 inch white head that slowly fades. Medium lacing remains on the glass. The aroma is a mix of sweet malt, fruit and sugar. Taste begins with the malts, followed by dark fruit flavors and candy sugar sweetness, and ending with a hint of alcohol. Medium bodied beer and smooth medium finish. Highly drinkable. Overall, nice full flavor. Good but not the best triple that I've experienced.

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

excited to try this one have been meaning to pick up a bottle for a while.

poured from bottle into my tulip glass. one of the most beautiful pours i've seen in a long time. golden haze with a billowing amazing overflowing pillow of white foam. waiting for the beer to warm up to the temperature i want and there is still a massive pillow of head guarding the beer.

smell is spice and a unique menthol smell like i have never got from a tripel, let alone a beer. not sure i like this nose.

taste is a bit different than the smell and a bit better. nice hint of funk with a clean bittering coming through. spice is there too. nutmeg and pepper.

mouthfeel is interesting on this one...i dont say this often about beers, but there was a bit more carbonation than i would like. tingles on the tongue. medium bodied.

overall a very clean drinkable tripel. the large amount of carbonation hurts my ratings for drinkablity.

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

Oh my beautiful full and thick head. frothy and lush with tightness, this is what a head should look like! over an almost clear light golden body. Great attractiveness.

Aroma seems subdued, really just faint belgian yeasts and bready pre-baked doughs with faint fruits.

Ah the flavor picks up the aromas slack and comes full force with a spicy kick! Pepper and salt on crisp baked bread with light oils from olives come though and leave with a qucik dry finish, its a very refreshing tripel and leaves you reaching for the glass again. Some lemon and orange notes come through with a light zestyness also.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into an Orval goblet, this was a hazy lemon juice color with plenty of bits floating around. Nose was pleasant, soft and fruity with a bit of alcohol sting on the sinus' as well. Hits the palate with a distinct belgian crispness, tingly and somewhat medicinal but extremely complex...a hard beer to review really due to the different flavors mixing with each sip, it's hard to pick things out. Definite fruitiness with apples/pears along with some herbal and floral accents as well. A really nice beer to crack after the Seahawks NFC Championship win tonight.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: yeast particles create a haze; pale gold colour; thick head has length

Aroma: white grapes; floral; boozy

Taste: fruity, lightly spiced yeast curls around the tongue and alcohol level plainly evident in sting that gathers in the back of the throat; finishes with pleasant and fairly strong spiced hops; some apple, grapes; overall the indiscernible combination of fruity and spicy yeast, hops, malt is not incredibly complex, but nonetheless enjoyable

Overall: a great balance of elements, but not quite as exciting as had hoped for

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Executive Summary: After hearing so much about this beer, I finally decided to pick one up for myself. I'm very glad I did. It's a great tripel, and begins to convince me that the US tripel brewers can't really hit this with any authenticity (not that they need to try, of course).

Appearance: Pours a beautiful hazy golden color into my chalice. Bright white head hangs tough, but eventually reduces to a solid coating. Lacing is wonderful - almost reminds me of how some DIPAs hug the glass.

Smell: Bananas, even some tartness (apple, pineapple) and a slight estery aroma.

Taste: Sweet malt to start and finishes with a spicy alcohol flavor coupled with hop bitterness that follows down the throat. It's strange, but the flavor almost completely disappears just before the spiciness hits at the end. I'm going to guess that's an indication that there aren't many flavoring hops here, but I'm no expert.

Mouthfeel: Spot on for the style. Slightly sticky, but it doesn't linger. Carbonation is light to moderate - doesn't distract from the nature of this beer.

Drinkability: It's no session brew, that's for sure, but for something over the 9% plateau, this goes down very nicely.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

11.2 ounce bottle, best before end: 09/04/11. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with about an inch and half off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both pretty good. Aroma is bready malt, yeast, orange peel, and some fruit and spice (it just smells fruity and spicy in general, I couldn't pick out any one particular fruit or spice). Taste is pretty much just like the aroma, but there's also a bit of pear and an earthy taste noticable in the brew. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's smooth but has a little too much carbonation for me. Drinkability is decent, but would be better if the carbonation was lower. But overall, I liked this beer. I'd buy it again in the future.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Tasted this on 03.03.06, a 330ml bottle best before 04/07/07. 9.5% ABV. I have had this several times over the last few years, but never got around to reviewing it.
Poured into a Chimay goblet, a nice amber brew with some haze and a good white head. Head diminished, but easily returned with a swirl of the glass.
Without going into too much detail (this is a well described beer on this database), I would say that this is a fine beer and an excellent tripel, though not my all time favourite one. It is very consistent and ages well.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: Honey brown with small amounts of noticeable carbonation. a good amount of head at pour with a nice frothiness. Sediments are present.

Smell: Caramelized grain. Sharp dried fruit and alcohol smell that I find my nose to identify with most Belgian tripels and even dubbels.

Taste: Very little bitterness much more balanced with an almost light molasses taste. Finish is relatively dry but leaves my tongue with most of the small amounts of bitterness I taste.

Mouth Feel: Like a light naturally sweetened syrup. Heavier body then I expect while looking at it, but ends up being satisfying. It lingers on my taste buds for quite a while.

Drinkability: Totally drinkable, it seems like every sip makes me want to sip it again and again.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

A- Poured an 11.2 ounce bottle into a Duvel tulip. Hazy golden orange with a one finger white head that dissapated quickly. Light lacing throughout.

S- A little fruit, lemon, and a touch of malt

T- Lemon and spice. A little yeast. A little sugar. Hint of malt.

M- Medium carbonation. Dry and crisp.

O- Enjoyable. Easy to drink, but did not "wow" me. Potent. Expected so much more. Having bought it 7-8 months ago...perhaps I should have had it much sooner??!! Had a best before 01/03/12 date on it.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottle: purchased from Leura Cellars. A stylish and incredibly thick embossed 330mL brown bottle with a nice trappist label. Simple but elegant.

Appearance: pours a fairly viscous vibrant honey yellow with champagne-like fine carbonation. A big fluffing head bursts up to three-fingers even with a gentle pour (mind you my snifter is draining so I am using a tulip so fair enough) and settles to a half-finger thick white head. Not much lacing.

Aroma: quite muted on the nose, but what is there is a clean and fresh combination of Belgian yeasts and sour dough, orchard fruits and some spices. Some alcohol over the top but is not distracting.

Taste: more sour than your usual tripel - plenty of alcohol and Belgian yeasts, with some wheat, cloves, orchard fruits and a touch of malt. Not my favourite tripel flavour, but still pretty outstanding.

Aftertaste: the flavours last a good long while - quite dry all the way through thanks to the alcohol and the sourness.

Mouth feel: a thick body that really works quite well. Moderate in carbonation with a smooth yet dry feel.

Overall: quite a drinkable tripel, but probably not the best I have had, particularly since it is one of the dearest. It is more sour and tart than most which I like, but it lacks some complexity. That said, it does have a wonderful orchard fruit and spice flavour that pokes its head out between the alcohol and sour dough.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a turbid mustard with a thin, foamy head. Great retention.

The aroma is fruity with a highly subdued toffee apple aspect. Some brown sugar. A hint of something grainy.

The taste is fruity and tart, nicely phenolic and spicy in a way that hides the alcohol well. Dry and yeasty in the finish. Good bready malt sweetness underneath.

Medium-light body, good carbonation.

Very drinkable, highly enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from the 350ml brown bottle into a tulip glass. The head produced by my pour was about 1" of loose off-white foam that shrunk quickly to a clumpy cap. The liquid was a honey color with some cloudiness due to some spent yeast in the bottle.

The aroma, was similar to a Hefewiesen ... in that there was a fruity sweetness. Although, there was a clear alcohol aroma too.

The taste was good... I think I'm getting used to these Belgian Ales. For me, most of these Belgian Ales have a taste like a robust Hefeweisen. This one had the yeasty/buscuit taste with some dried fruit followed by a pronounced alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel: Good for a Tripel. This one is still quite fizzy (seems to be common for the Tripels)... but not overly done. The body is rather thin and the clear alcohol presence make this one rather refreshing. It complimented my egg salad sandwich and fruit cup quite well (I wonder if this is an appropriate food pairing?).

Drinkability: This one is recommended... I've had some "Tripels" that I didn't like at all.... but this one is quite good. I couldn't see anyone pounding 4-5 of these, but this is a good, rich example for sipping.

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: The Westmalle Tripel pours a slightly hazy golden color - very similar to what you'd see from a wheat beer. As with most of the other Trappist beers, this comes with about three to four solid fingers of light head with minimal lacing that disappears pretty quickly. You can tell this has a lot of effervescence by the onslaught of small bubbles swimming swiftly to the top of the glass.

Smell: Just as I had imagined, there is a lot of spice going on in the glass. There is an immediate blast of beautiful honeycomb that hits you first, and then it is quickly followed by banana and clove components on the back end. For me, the real joy comes out of feeling like I've just stuck my nose in the middle of a fresh honeycomb. On top of what is immediately noticeable, there is a very faint amount of funk that sits way in the back of the nose. This becomes more evident as the beer begins to warm.

Taste: I guess one of the best things a beer can do is taste like it smells, and this certainly does just that. Surprisingly enough the honeycomb component I get on the nose translates into the taste very well. I also taste the yeast along with the banana and cloves. In terms of the alcohol, I don't taste it as much as I thought I would but I certainly feel it about halfway through the bottle. And it's a small bottle.

Mouthfeel: Overall this is an extremely well-balanced beer in the mouth. Because of the style, the Westmalle has a lot of bite due to the sparkling qualities and the enormous amount of head. There is a perfect amount of bitterness, too, which is paired with a vigorous amount of acidity. Normally a beer like this would lean more toward the lighter side, but this one is easily approaching medium body.

Overall: Let's be honest, this isn't a mind-melting beer. However, it is classic in just about every way. I really love the honeycomb component the most and really like the way this baby smells. I am also a really big fan of the bitterness levels that I get from the Westmalle. It's not as unique as the Orval (which is still my favorite Trappist ale), but it is definitely a staple and quite enjoyable. It's proof that consistency is a very good thing.

3.86/5  rDev -9.6%

Almost forgot about the giant belgian head phenomenon. Golden with a pure white head. Lots of CO2.

Smells pretty standard for a tripel. I love 'em, but they all smell about the same.

Light, tart, sweet, grainy. Hints of alcohol fade to the back of my mouth and coat my tongue with a spreading warmth. The sweetness hovers on my tongue and the roof of my mouth - very strange. I actually get a tiny bit of hop bitterness. Certainly a first for me. Standard yeast characters.

Smooth, creamy and the bite of CO2. Par for the tripel course.

Very easy to drink. I find tripels to be very comforting and this is no exception. I think I could get very comfortable with this beer.

A great tripel. Nice sweet to grain balance that I find sometimes lacking in American versions. Not particularly challenging, but just right. For a bunch of bible-thumpers, they make a pretty damn good beer.

3.86/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

October 3, 2014

25.4 oz bottle, tulip

A – Dark yellow with orange tint, extremely high carbonation with tons of bubbles in the beer itself. Four inches of craggy, rocky white foam that seems to last forever. About ½ inch left when all is said and done.

S – Citrus, reminiscent of nectarine, orange peel, curacao. Peppery and tangy. Some alcohol warmth in the background. Maybe some banana, bubble gum.

T – Foamy, dense, orangey and slightly peppery. Some earthiness, mushroominess. Very mild, floral hop flavor, just a touch of hop bitterness to balance the sweetness. A lot more banana, some bubble gum.

M – Foamy and effervescent. Somewhat thin, but the bubbles coat the tongue and leave a sweet finish. Thinness seems to be from the alcohol, is not a flaw. Slightly syrupy on the finish.

O – Not quite the knockout tripel I was expecting based on the reputation, but a very good example of the style.

3.86/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance - Golden orange, cloudy. I left the yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I decided not to drink it separately. Head was amazing! Thick like meringue, hung on the whole time. Great Guinness like lacing that left a nice pattern. 10 out of 10 for head and lacing. The total appearance was stellar!

Smell - Grass field, hops, a little earthy, doughy, bit of floral from the hops, definite alcohol whiff.

Taste - Smacks your forehead...hard! Spice and alcohol kick, followed by bitter hop finish. So intense I didn't taste much of anything else, maybe just a little lemon zest. Although the taste is very complex, it's hidden behind the alcohol and hops. But it is there. Tastes a little like a super strong Czech Pilsner. Dry finish as well.

Mouthfeel - Huge! Full, round and sparkles on the tongue.

Drinkability - Can't imagine having another because of the high ABV, but the flavor and mouthfeel suggests it.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Deep gold in color and hazy with some tiny particles floating around, despite a fairly gentle pour and leaving the yeast behind. The head dissipated quicker than expected and minimal lacing on the glass. Fruity and spicy aroma. White wine notes with a big bready character to it. The spice is still there in the flavor and it finishes dry with soft alcohol. Highly carbonated and effervescent. Medium bodied with a slight warming quality.

My expectations were high for this beer given its high ratings and my love for the style. But, somehow it just fell a little flat for me. I will certainly be revisiting it again soon.

3.86/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

11.2 oz. poured into chalice
(best before: 1/30/15)

L: straw yellow ... very pale ... just a hint of gold at the bottom up to the light and some gold when you look down on it as it sits on the table; up to the light, pale yellow; not much of a head, enough foam to cover the top, white; not stick or lace; keeps a loose collar, big soapy bubbles; a little bit of debris, not much, floating in the bottom -- and the entire brew looks thick like a dubbel or quad, almost like Jello; not clear but not 100% opaque

S: white wine; sour grapes; sweeter as it warms up

T: sweet white wine; lots of sour grapes; starts off VERY sweet but is drying out just a bit as we go; no major alcohol taste, but just a few sips in you can feel that 9.5% ABV warming down the throat; if you take a bigger swallow, there is just a hint of alcohol in the taste

F: solid, bubbly, easy to drink ... it looks thick but feels much lighter than the appearance; dry

O: very enjoyable with enough sweetness up front to get me into it then dries out as you go, making it a super drinkable sipping beer -- and sip I am. again, that 9.5% ABV is not a missprint.

LOVE the fact that this seems just a hair different from the other triples (and Belgians in the pale family) I've tried. there is NO banana, no bubble gum, nothing cloying about it ...

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 330ml bottle to a snifter, the liquid is a pale straw yellow, cloudy very good carbonation. The head is smallish white and leaves some lace.

The smell is good fruity yeast, sweet with orange peel.

The taste is good as well hints of orange and lime with some spices, pepper, clovers allspice, over a wheaty malt. Very interesting. At first I did not think I liked it much but it really seems to be growing on me. But still glad it is a smaller bottle. Alcohol seems to be well covered.

The mouthfeel is light body, and well carbonation with small champagne like bubbles. I guess it is in style but I don't care for that much fizz.

The drinkability is ok, not stellar but not a bad beer at all.

Prosit, MK

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Served in a glass chalice

A: Cloudy golden with a substantial, persistent head

S: Mostly yeast and grain, slightly sweet

T: Quite sweet, but not overbearingly so - initial overtones of banana and kiwi followed by a number of spices, nutmeg in particular. I can definitely taste the high alcohol content.

M: Relatively thin compared to other similar beers I've tried in the past. Pairs nicely with the flavor.

O: It has the complexity of flavor that I've come to expect from Trappist beers, but it doesn't feel overly intense - instead it's quite refreshing and drinkable. Definitely one of my favorites from Belgium so far.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a murky golden yellow with rocky head that holds nicely. Not filtered with particles floating around, & attractive sudsy lacing. A little carbonation, counted around 10 stream floating up the glass taking their time.
I got some lemony citrus in the aroma but not too strong. Could also smell the alcohol...but strained to get a definate malty nose.
The taste was more middle to back of the tongue & the ABV shone through - high in warm alcohol to finish. Also found it a lingering bitter & dryness. It was spritzy & dancy on the tongue.
But the whole high ABV taste reminded me of a spirit drink, & hence I am not sure how many of these I could have in one session (not that you'd want a heap)
I imagine this being a really nice cosy winters night drink.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Not a bad offering. Kind of pricey. Poured out to a cloudy tarnished golden colour with high carbonation. Well formed head remained consistant to the bottom of the glass. Aroma of fruits and light sugars were most noted, as was alcohol, being as it has a rather high ABV. Very good mouthfeel, with a smoothness that was crisp and direct, with the carbonation making tastebuds come alive and pay attention. Flavor was quite spicy, with a strong complexity of pears, bananas and grapefruit. Very complex beer. Finished well, with a sour-like aftertaste. Not a bad beer at all. As far as Tripels go, this is probably the best I have had. Recommended.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

I enjoyed this one in a wesmalle Trappist chalice. It poured with a frothy white head and a golden yellow huge.
With smells of citrus, vanilla, and a musty barn like aroma made it intriguing to me. The alcohol does prevail but does not overpower. There is also a hint of mint that I noticed after a few sips. The mouthfeel is a pleasant texture and a very smooth. A faint tickle as it flows over the palate.
A fine Tripel!