Deliverance - The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: drummstikk on 08-09-2010

A blend of bourbon barrel-aged Serpent’s Stout and brandy barrel-aged Angels Share, Deliverance is the epic battle being waged between heaven and hell for the souls of mortal men… and your enjoyment in a glass.
Reviews: 426 | Hads: 1,869
3.64/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing a vintage 2011 bottle

First of all this is a pretty pricey bottle and depending where you get it , this can range from $14.99 - $19.99 . That being said , it's completely worth every penny.

I have had the 2013 earlier this year and I was excited to see what two years would do to this beer. Deliverance is probably one of my most favorite beer that's from lost abbey . I must say after two years the carbonation is completely nonexistence and the flavor have fallen off a bit . Personally I didn't feel as thought some of the original notes were there anymore and even the bourbon taste itself was very little . It smelled amazing and you can't taste any booziness at all with this baby but given what it tasted like I would recommend drinking this one fresh and if you plan to age it don't let it go pass two years,but then again my reviews are subjective to the bottle I got and my taste so don't hesitate to grab this beer . Don't be scared off by the price tag, well worth the cost .

Cheers !

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

375ml bottle into a snifter

A: Very dark brown, pretty much black with a finger of lively head that sticks around for a while.

S: Strong bourbon up front with dark chocolate, roast, and toffee. Very nice, but lacking a bit in complexity.

T: Dark chocolate and toffee up front with brandy in the background. A bit on the dry side and quite boozy.

M: A tad thin with adequate and fairly creamy carbonation. Could be more full bodied.

O: Rarely do I feel like a beer needs to be aged, but this beer is very boozy and I believe it could develop some with age. Still decent, but I think I'll lay a couple of these down for a while.

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at fresh craft in denver 3/1/13

A: murky dark brown with sticky lacing. Long lasting tan head. Looks like used engine oil

S: a mix of barrel aged spirits. Super boozy. Bourbon, brandy, rum, scotch, you name it, they're all here. Some roast and chocolate come out as it warms

T: more booze up front. I'm tempted to add an ice cube it's so much like scotch. It's oily and thicker, but really boozy. Lots of caramel sweetness comes out too. It also has a ton of honey and figs. That flavor seems to always come out in aged, slightly oxidized strong ales. The booze is slightly overpowering for me.

M: thick, oily, coating. Lots of residual sugar here.

O: I love both beers individually, but this is a bourbon bomb. A little less alcohol and barrel character would bring this one in my own personal tolerance. Glad to try it, but once is prob. Good.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into a new belgium snifter. Color is opaque black/very dark brown, with a thin mocha head that fades to the outer edge. Looks identical to Angel's Share, but with carbonation. Smell is bourbon off the bat followed by lots of brandy. No surprise there, but it is nice. Lots of alcohol heat and a tiny bit of chocolate. Taste is a great blend of the brandy and bourbon with a strong hot finish. Slightly bitter, lasting flavor is of milk chocolate. Mouthfeel is VERY light carbonation and a heavy, coating feel. For the style it is appropriate, but just barely fizzy. Drinkability is low for this one due to the abv - its very filling. The complex malt and barrel flavors keep me wanting more though.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

A-Poured into an oversized red wine glass. Pours cola brown with 1/4 inch of chocolate milk colored head. Leaves almost no lacing.

S-Smells heavily of Angel's Share. An oak bomb. Slightly phenolic.

T/M-Tastes like a slightly roastier Angel's Share. All oak up front. Some of the roasty malts come through mid-palate, but there's a lack of complexity here. Body is soft, like heavy whipping cream. The finish falls off. Surprisingly abrupt.

D-There is a real arrogance in charging $20 for a 12oz bottle of this. Who do Lost Abbey think they're fooling? This beer is ridiculously overpriced, for how little complexity it has. Ultimately it's pretty good, but feels incomplete and underdone. This is why I rarely buy Tomme's limited releases.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to OtakuAle for the trade. Pours dark brown with plenty of carbonation. Smells a lot like Angels Share - loads of bourbon, vanilla, fruit, spice. Tastes quite good - bourbon, caramel, vanilla, fruit. A sweet malt bomb. Tons of alcohol is present in the flavor and it's really hot. About as conspicuous a burning hot alcohol beer as I can recall having had. That said, this is a nice sipper and is easily shared with a friend despite being only 375 ml. Body is on the thick side with medium carbonation appropriate for the style. Overall, I like this beer, but for the price and given the alcohol heat, one is enough for me.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

375mL corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a fairly thick pitch black color. Produced a thin layer of tan foam that dissipated to bubbles.

(S)- A rich brown sugar and dry oaky bready bourbon notes. Slightly sweet.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Very sweet and rich with alot of caramel and brown sugar in this. Definitely has taken on some bourbon and oaky qualities.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. A decent balance. Very sweet and rich. Lots of bourbon-like aspects. A tad boozy.

(D)- A good strong ale. Sweet and rich, but definitely not worth the high price tag.

Vintage 2010

No audible pop at corking. Pours like spent oil - inky black-brown with heavy viscosity and little sign of carbonation. Lots of prune, caramel, bourbon and brandy, raisin, figs, and hints of cinnamon sugar in this one. Really pretty nose. Profoundly rich flavored beer: caramel, tawny, bitterness (surprised), nougat, chocolate - light, bourbon, figs, sugar and slight booze. Quite still on the mouthfeel, a slight effervescence. Warm and dry finish with a long standing flavor residual.

I'm a bit torn here. The smell and flavor of the beer are top notch, but the look and mouthfeel are far from superior. I wish the beer was just slightly cabonated - previous bottles I've had were.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Neat art, corny story on the back. Corked and caged 375ml. Deliver me from a drainpour earlier tonight.... Into a 2009 Darkness snifter.

Pours dark, bubbly light brown cola type carbonation. fizzles away quickly, but enough carbonation with swirls of the glass.

Smells are predictable. Sweet wood, some bourbon, brown sugar. Milk chocolate there too. Smells like a barrel aged beer.

Tastes like a barrel aged beer. A straightforward one that's pretty good. I tried to buy into the blended hype, 2 beers complexifying everything, etc. but I wasn't feeling it. It's just a solid barrel aged strong ale/stout that tastes like Older viscosity, Angels share, etc.

I like the thinner mouthfeel. It's not syrupy or thick. Alcohol is in check, early reviews be damned. (it's been a few months now)

This beer isn't blazing any new trails. I liked older viscosity better, fwiw.

And the price...

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

375ml bottle into an Allagash glass.

A very dark brown body, nearly black, topped off by a two finger widths, dark tan, creamy looking head. The head holds well, and there's a bit of lacing going on too.

The aroma is nice, there's a big cherry/vanilla component, maybe some oaky/ashy quality there in the background too. Tobacco leaf. I'm missing a lot of the smell I'd expect from the Imperial Stout.

Tastes nice too, alcoholic cherries and vanilla hit first, followed by some milk chocolate and caramel. The oak is present, along with a sweet sugary quality of brown sugar and raisins. The end of the sip is pretty hot though, negatively impacting what is otherwise a great flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is big and chewy, quite viscous indeed. The richness and smoothness give it a real dessert type feel, very nice to swirl around the mouth. I don't think it could be improved upon, the carbonation level is spot on as well. Perfect marks.

The heat makes this one drink rather poorly. I've had this problem with a lot of Lost Abbey beers before. The alcohol heat seems to be present from start to finish, and by the swallow it's not a warming sensation but an actual unpleasant flash of heat moving down my throat. Reminds me a lot of Santa's Little Helper, which also has this problem. With many more years on this, who knows, this could be sorted out, but this was the only negative aspect of an otherwise great beer.

3.74/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown -- almost black -- color with about a quarter inch of dark tan head. Retention is just decent, and lacing is minimal. Legs are very good, however.

Smell: I get a lot of dark caramel scents in this beer. Also, lighter leather, smoke, tobacco and baker's chocolate. Vanilla is present, as well as scents of brandy and bourbon heat. It smells pretty delicious.

Taste: Lots of dark caramel and vanilla come to the forefront on the palate. Also some very light smoke and leather. The back end is highlighted by a boozy kick. I find that the bourbon and brandy clash more on the palate than on the nose. I've let this one sit for a while and I still don't find a great balance between them. If the finish was a bit smoother I would have loved it.

Mouthfeel/Overall: This beer is medium bodied with very fine carbonation; overall experience seems kind of thin. Pretty slick and oily feel in the mouth. Overall, this beer was almost there for me. A little less confusion between the brandy and bourbon would have made for a phenomenal beer. As it is, I call it pretty good but not outstanding.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 375ml, hilariously labeled bottle into a snifter.

Appearance is a black, oily color with a light brown head that quickly dissipates leaving an oily slick on the top of the beer.

The nose is full of bourbon, dark fruit, chocolate, and a little smokiness.

The taste is a confusion of the brandy and the bourbon. There are strong vanilla notes but this beer is confusing me as to what it wants to be. The dark fruits come out mid palate.

I kind of wanted more viscosity from this beer, it seemed a tad thin. At the same time, the carbonation was spot on.

All in all, kinda wish I let this one ride a little more. I think it will figure itself out with age and actually get a job.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Port Brewing became one of my favourite breweries after just one beer, MONGO, but this is my first chance to sample something from The Lost Abbey.

12.5% and no mention of beer style. An auspicious beginning I fear.

It's a disappointing start though. Blame the cork, but there's little to no carbonation, and zero head. This may not be such a bad thing though, especially in light of the impenetrable rosewood menace in my glass whose maroon edges are barely distinguishable. I'm definitely willing to let my other senses contribute before sentencing.

Chocolate. Oak (courtesy of the bourbon barrels). Hints of alcohol, acetone and coffee. This is the real deal, and carbonation issues are quickly forgotten.

HOT DAYUM! If there's a magic genie around, my only wish is for a vat in which I may bathe in this irresistible goddess of chocolate, whose smooth alcohol warms me from the inside out.

First impressions of the mouthfeel are ecstatic. Despite a lack of carbonation, there's a soft yet full mouthfeel, and a creeping bitterness. Yet, after continued sips. the bitterness and alcohol contribute to a slight astringency, that whilst a challenge, isn't enough to put this disciple off course.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, and would love the opportunity to a properly carbonated bottle. Kudos to Port Brewing!

12.5% Year Unknown

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

So much to say about this beer, so few words. First & foremost let me tug my forelock in honor of jtrockchalk, who threw this lovely little bottle in as an extra to a recent trade. Yes, that's the kind of trader I'm dealing with. I thought I did him up good. But now I'll have to wait for another opening to even things up.

Not only that, this is named after one of my favorite songs from my college days, Deliverance, by the Mission U.K. If you like bombastic European alt-rock, go look it up. Great stuff. 'Fact, I'm gonna flip it on Grooveshark right now.

Oh, right, beer, sorry. As always, The Lost Abbey is class of the class in bottling. Great artwork, amusing anecdote on the back, & I can get the cork out without heavy machinery. Pours pitch black as the soul of the Dominator. The smell is...well...puzzling. Lots of barrel, malts, but with a strong scent of butter churning. What? Oh, & booze. Not at all what I was expecting. Who put Parkay in my chalice?

Once it encounters the tongue, Deliverance straightens out that odd smell thing. The barrels play it up; I get both the brandy & bourbon, but neither has the upper hand. I get more of the Angel's Share base here than the Stout. Plenty of drying oak. Again, that faint butteriness in the background, trying to hide between the malts & barrel. The alcohol comes through only in the end, warming, a touch of heat. That's OK. You don't like heat? Drink orange juice.

Well, this is a very good beer, but there's an oomph missing that keeps it from reaching the panorama of really excellent brews. Light on the complexity, this one uses the barrels to carry it.

3.79/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I don't see any dates on this one but I would estimate around 2 years old.

A: Cork comes off with just the lightest, faintest hiss. Pours a dark brown, oddly not as pitch black as I was expecting. Tiniest little fizzy head despite the most aggressive pour I could possible give it. Fades quickly. Essentially zero lacing.

S: Lots and lots of sweet dark fruits. Smells a lot like brandy and bourbon (duh). Loaded with sickly sweet caramel, toffee, molasses, raisins and vanilla. Not much roasted malt pokes through, maybe a hint of chocolate. Big and boozy.

T: Stinging bourbon and brandy. Lots of it. Up front there's lots of dark fruit, toffee and caramel. Turns into chocolate and vanilla in the middle, becoming very very oaky in the finish. A little char mixes in with the oak and then it's more burning brandy. Finishes dry and hot.

M: Thick and heavy. Being almost completely flat contributes to this effect.

O: It's not bad, the stout character is mostly swallowed up by all the brandy and bourbon. Surprising, especially given the decent age on this one. Might have to age one for maybe 5 years and see how it turns out. Too hot, too much spirits, not enough stout at this stage.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12.7 oz bottle courtesy of thrillainmanilla. Thanks again Eric!

A - I've read a lot of reviews for this beer, and I was a little scared that I would get one of the dreaded "uncarbonated" bottles. Luckily, the cork gave me a satisfying pop and the beer collects a little fizz on the periphery as it enters the glass. The beer itself is dark brown, settling black in the glass. No foam whatsoever.

S - the first thing I get is a whiff of bourbon, followed by the stout base, followed by some of the sweetness from the barrel character. I poured it pretty cold, and it initially smelled like a booze bomb, but as it warms up the sharpness dissipates. The richness I expect isn't terribly evident in the smell. Fruit: apples, raisins, and caramely dates.

T - the first thing I get is heat from the booze. It burns the tongue almost immediately. Following that, it's mostly the barrels I detect. The bourbon and brandy work nicely together, but both are secondary to the alcohol. I don't get Angel's Share at all, only Serpent Stout, and that only slightly. The only thing I would call "substantive" in the taste is the tartness that comes from the roast.

M - like I said, the booze is overwhelming. My tongue burns as I drink. The alcohol almost entirely overwhelms the sweetness, which is the other lingering taste at the finish.

O - I'm not a big fan of this beer. It's too expensive, and the barrels play too big a roll. The alcohol dominates and depletes any of the substance of the base beers. That being said, however, I'm super glad I finally got to try it.

3.8/5  rDev -11%

A: thin head on a jet black body. some lacing.

S: mildly buttery, roasted malts, vanilla.

T: this one is a little buttery which i am really sensitive too. oak, bourbon, hints of milk chocolate.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: this one is very drinkable and very mild. the drinkability is excellent. very smooth.

3.8/5  rDev -11%

A: Deep chocolate brown with almost no head (2/3)
S: Bourbon barrels anyone? Wood, alcohol, and sweetness with a little bit of sourness like a Jack Daniels (9/12)
T: Remarkably light flavor, though the bourbon barrels still sing out. A little bit of raisiny malt and alcohol sprinkled in, too. (16/20)
F: Truly viscous and lightly carbonated. Like motor oil.(3/5)
O: This one packs a punch. If you’re ready to drink delicious motor oil, sign right up, but don’t take it lightly. (8/10)

3.81/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a corked and caged 375ml bottle into two FoBAB taster glasses. Thanks to HollyAnn for the assist!

A: Well, another LA beer where the cork practically falls out of the bottle. C'mon guys, for crying out loud. A vigorous pour netted just a tiny hint of khaki-colored collar. Retention was poor and no lace was left behind. Rather lifeless sitting in the glass. Shows legs when swirled.

S: Extremely rich and fragrant. Tons of fudge brownie, boozy spirit barrel, cherry, dark fruit, and solvent alcohol.

T: Just as above. Alcohol becomes quite hot and prickly the warmer it gets. Finishes with a sweet brandy soaked cherry flavor.

M: Huge, sweet, and sticky with a hot and prickly booziness that comes on way strong by the end of the glass. Not too intrusive, but feels a little "tacked on" if you get my meaning.

D: Seems like there wasn't much of an attempt to hide the obvious alcohol content. Drinks pretty good, yet it was all we could do to share/finish this bottle.

3.81/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Aged bottle (2 years old?) Black with minimal head. Boozy and warming alcohol presence. Tasted next to a GI BCBS 2013 and found many similarities. This had the brandy notes which were excellent and put this over the top for me. Very strong showing here from LA but what else is new?

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%

HUGE thanks to my father-in-law for this one! Split today into two Southern Tier stemmed tulips and shared w/my wife to toast her pops' 50th birthday.

Presentation: 12.7oz brown high-shouldered, 'Belgian-style' bottle, corked and caged. Awesome artwork on the label, dark and beautiful at the same time. No vintage date. Is this a one-off?

Appearance: Pours into the glasses a viscous dark brown, tinged with ruby. In the glass, it's almost black, with brown highlights around the edges and a nice dark tan cap which soon falls to a medium film and a thick, chunky ring. Looks real nice.

Smell: Dark caramel and toffee, maybe a hint of toasted coconut? Some pleasant dark boozy notes in the background, and a hint of hot, sharp booze that's less pleasant, but not really enough to be distracting or off-putting.

Taste: Lots of good stuff going on here, but the alcoholic heat from the two barrel-aged base beers (Bourbon-barrel Serpent's Stout and Brandy-barrel Angel's Share) runs a bit roughshod over everything else. What this tells me is that this is likely a great beer that just needs some more time in the cellar. There are nice fruity alcoholic esters that are actually quite reminiscent of a good brandy. Not so much from the bourbon. There's definitely some barrel character here as well, with earthy, woody tones, and it's present in the perfect amount. The individual flavors underneath the barrel and spirits character are a bit tougher to pick out; they kind of come and go. There is mild, dry roasty character to start. It's not as strong as I might have expected, which makes me wonder how much of this brew is Angel's Share and how much is Serpent's Stout. I'm getting some sweet notes of coconut in here as well, makes me wish I'd paired this with some macaroons or something. Hints of caramel as well. Touch of chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Alcoholic, but not hot or prickly. Smooth, and fairly viscous.

Overall: I was really planning to cellar this for at least a year, possibly two, but considering tonight was my father-in-law's 50th birthday, a pretty big day, and since he was cool enough to buy this for us, I thought we'd toast him tonight! The scrore I'm giving this beer here would likely be higher w/a bit more time on it to mellow the booze a bit and let the individual flavors emerge. The aromas, on the other hand, are awesome already.

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%

Shared with kkipple

Appearance: pour is a dark-mahogany with a light tan head, some head and lacing

smell: toffee, fudge, caramel, rated malts, faint bourbon and vanilla

Taste: Similar to the aroma, fudge, toffee, caramel, and faint bourbon, vanilla and oak. O wish the bourbon elements were a bit more pronounced, kkipple enjoyed this one much more than I did. I don't think it compares to Angle's Share grand cru. I have never really been crazy about serpent's stout and it is too present here.

Mouthfeel: smooth, nice soft carbonation, perhaps a bit thin.

Drinkability: I was glad I split this one with someone; glad it was only 375ml

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Reddish brown, small head that vanished quickly. Thin oily legs.
Smells of bourbon and brandy with some notes of chocolate and caramel. The taste has all those notes with a touch of brandy and vanilla and oak.

Body is a bit thin and in need of more carbonation. It would work better with a creamy feel.

Overall-- not bad. It's improved a bit as it aged and let the brandy heat mellow out. The beer could easily age even longer.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into snifter. Pours a deep brown, almost black. Head quickly recedes, leaves lacing, and looks very inviting, with moderate carbonation. Smells very boozy, bourbony, chocolate/mocha notes, toffee, coffee, vanilla. Tastes like a chocolatey coffee, again picking up the vanilla, some brandy, very boozy; strong alcohol taste, dark fruits, maybe some figs. Thin to medium bodied, watery almost, very dry finish. Delicious beer, but with the price tag - the overly booziness, and the thin mouthfeel, would have if it was offered to me, but probably will not buy again.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a RRBC tulip

A - deep amber with a little bit of head. Decent lacing.

S - vanilla, brandy, oak, and lots and lots of chocolate (serpent stout really comes through).

T - Brandy, sugar malts, vanilla, chocolate. It has an alcohol burn and its fairly sweet.

M - decent. Not too complex, and has a bit of a burn on the tongue, but not as complex as it could be.

D - its a big beer, so its a sipper.

Overall, good beer, but not great. In comparison to the other beers we had that day, it seemed fairly middle of the road. I'd get this beer on tap, but not sure buying a bottle was a wise decision. Oh well

Deliverance from The Lost Abbey