Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Wants: 3,233
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Reviews: 256 | Hads: 1,527
4.79/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Slightly hazy golden yellow with a very white laced head.

S: Very estery with sour apple tones throughout.

T: Amazing. one of the best sours I've ever had. Subtle sweetness with intense but not overpowering sour berry and apple through. The smooth oak flavor does a great job of bringing everything together.

M: Very thin with and almost over carbonation.

O: This is the second best sour I've ever had behind batch 1 consecration aged for 6 years. Amazing beer. Worth it's trade value and more.

2009 Vintage (Aged 38 months)

4.79/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is amazing. The appearance was golden and brite, slight orange, crisp with very little head only brief lacing that didnt linger at all. Carb bubbles were present throughout.
The smell was sweet & sour with a good funk, slight notes of tart apple and pear. I thought after smelling that this was going to disappoint honestly.
The taste though, wow. Tart apple, granny smith, bright farmyard funk, the taste lingered as well and was slight bile lemon and finished with sweet spice notes and some orange grapefruity effervescence. This taste for me was perfection. Even as I cherished the last couple sips that had warmed it was even more complex with some malt, bread, salt and dank balanced funk. So good, better on the cold side but I cherished it all through the pour...
The mouth was crisp and dry, the tart wets the cheeks afterwards and it lingered in a good way
I really was close to a 5 on this beer, its definitely in my top 5 and left me craving desperately for another

4.79/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. Thanks to bauermj for bringing this out to the whale tasting.

Appearance: My pour is a very hazy light golden straw color with a light off-white head that fades away to nothing.

Smell: The aroma is so sour it burns my nose a little bit. Pure sour, lemon zest, some grapefruit, and a bit of apricot.

Taste: The light malt is there but gets quickly overwhelmed by the lemon, lactic, and vinegar sourness. Very sour throughout, which I enjoy very much; that is really the focus of the beer. Lemon, a bit of white grape and green apple with some full grapefruit sourness to finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth but bitingly sour and tart. Medium bodied, crisp carbonation.

Overall: I really enjoy sours that really burn my nose and rip my taste buds out. This satisfies that criteria.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

A huge thanks to Andy (wedgie9) for opening this up at a mini tasting last night. Also, a massive thanks to Patrick (kingkong) for trading one of these to me which will be opened in the near future with family. Cheers to two great BA’s!

Appearance – Pours a hazy, golden color into a Lost Abbey tulip. Slight off white head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates relatively fast leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Man oh man. Tons of tart, funk up front. Wet hay/grass, musty barnyard, slight leather. Hints of vinegar, acetone, and lemons. As the beer warms nice oak characteristics emerge as well as sour fruits and granny smith apples. Wonderful.

Taste – My mouth puckers before the beer even touches my lips. Honestly, the taste is pretty spot on with the nose. Wonderful lemon flavor mixed in with the barnyard funk. The oak characteristics shine as the beer warms, as does the slight vinegar and acetone. The fruit flavors are simply fantastic, with the lemon fading to green apple, and peaches. The beer is everything I wanted it to be.

Mouthfeel – Lighter/medium bodied, slight prickly carbonation, finishes damn dry.

Overall – A wonderful beer. Very glad I was able to try this now and have one to open later. Rip on LA or TA as much as you want, but he can make some damn good sours. Simply put, one of the best beers I’ve had. The first beer of the night and the best in my opinion. Fantastic.

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

Duck duck gooze – holy shit, DDG…here we are. Beatufiul murky pale color, yellow…it is a thick yellow, beautiful, leaves sparse lacing. Aw, sweet tart all day on the odor, beautiful. OH WOW…SUPER tart sour, but sweet enough that it is tolerable and delicious…I understand the repuatation. Smooth as the day is long. Really really impressive, overall it is mouth puckerijngly sour while still being delicious and phenomenal. This is a great sour, sweet tarts with sourness with goodness, it is good. DDG, very unexpected to run into this at the release, but glad I did as it exceeded my expectations.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Been looking forward to this one for quite some time. The first beer sampled at our sour tasting. Poured into a large tasting glass approximately a 6oz pour.

A- Pours hazy golden yellow in color. A nice, slightly off white head that recedes ever so slightly. Some light lacing is left on my glass.

A- Wow really nice! Sour apple all the way. A nice funky twist with some lemon twist. A light hint of Chardonnay barrels. This is just really, really, nice.

T- I love it! Tart granny smith apples. A bit of oak, white grapes, and chardonnay. The bit of citrus in the nose is also present in the taste, but not as strong. Sour and funky.

M- lighter side of medium in body. Carbonation is high. Finishes dry and tart.

D- I could have killed the bottle with great ease. I was sad to see the bottom of my glass. I will without a doubt, be seeking out another bottle. It was my 2nd favorite sour of the night, only Beatification out shined this and that is really splitting hairs.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Got to first try this during the Stone Sour Fest. This was one of the first three or four beers I sampled, before the UNGODLY KILN-LIKE HEAT began to destroy my will to live.

Surprisingly long lived white foam head. Pours a cloudy, hazy yellow. Smells like tight, tart funkiness, with a predominantly lemon aroma. Wow. Lot of lemon in the flavor, too. There's some nice barnyard funk that isn't overpowering, and a ton of zesty vinegar lemon ... maybe some unripe oranges ... and a dash of vinegar. Its funk and sour elements are very well balanced.

Surprisingly, neither a sour, a funk, nor a flavor bomb. It's just a very well harmonized, very good sour.

Had this back to back with Isabelle Proximus, and it was interesting to compare the two. Isabelle is certainly more sour, and heavier on the unripe apples/pears versus lemon and citrus.

**UPDATE: somewhat uniquely amongst Lost Abbey beers (recently), this was BETTER in the bottle than it was on tap. Shocking, I know. The citrus and vinous vinegary-ness was more lipsmackingly addictive, and with a big amount to linger over the nuances became much more noticeable. The oak finish and unripe apple sensation, for example, was more prominent as one worked their way through a larger serving size. One of the most drinkable sours I've come across.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was warned this beer had fallen off a bit. I can assure you it was the shocker of the night. For the people that have had it already, it was unanimous that this was the best bottle of DDG they have ever had. For me the amazing balance of sour/funk/lemon zest was amazing. Ain't over the hill yet son.

4.81/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle shared with a friend, poured into 2 snifters.

A: Murky yellow/orange color with almost no head.
S: First thing I noticed is how sour it smells. Tons of oak and lemon. A bit of peach and funkiness.
T: Very sour! Some funk and lots of citrusy sourness. Less funky than 3F and Cantillon gueuzes. A bit sweet with peaches/lemons and some oak flavors. Clean, minimal funk finish.
M: Sour but not overpowering. Finishes dry, which leaves you just wanting more! Very light and super drinkable.
O: Amazing beer, worthy of its praise. Reminded me a lot of Beatification.

4.81/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared with JLindros and company at the last whale tasting. Reviewed from notes. Think this was an 09 vintage.

A - Poured into my Kate the Great tulip a hazy straw hue with a sudsy head that fades to a thin blanket. Nice light lacing here.

S - Super, super sour tart funk. Big, tart lemons with lots of oak barrel. Some nice green apple notes too. Oh wow!

T - TONS of green apples here, tart, tart sour green apple sinks as well. Lemons and green apples with good earthy notes as well along with light oak.

M - Mouthfeel is super tart and delicious. Never really puckering, but almost mind shattering dry.

O - Overall this was an exceptional bottle. So glad I got to try this little slice of heaven.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to beermeX2 for sharing this one with the group! A LONG time want of mine and was really glad to see it come out during this tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured golden yellow with a half finger pure white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, BIG sour, BIG funk, tart, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, BIG sour, BIG tart, funk, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall, HOLY DUCK-FACE BATMAN!!! This thing was drop-kick your momma sour! Just the way I like it.... The fruit character in this one tries despirately to subdue the sour/tart aspect going on here, but it never stood a chance. Funk too? Hell yeah... This brew really lived up to my expectations and might have actually exceeded them slightly. Definitely a well done brew that I would love to have more of. Well done Lost Abbey.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Split a 750 three ways in tulips. Part two of a night of pretty solid sour beers. Thanks to brian for sharing this.

Ar: Floral, strawberry, berries, raspberry, mild alcohol, fruity funk, mild acid, mild brett funk, beautiful floral character

Ap: clear gold, white head, good retention, light lace

T: great fruit, berries - strawberry and raspberry, cherry, ends with clean warm acid and citric notes,mild barn, mostly fruity in balance, very strong fruit, light alcohol, slightly sweet, tropical fruit, brett bitterness, funk increases with warmth, perfumy floral, excellent brett end, pineapple, very fruity throughout with acid end

M: High carbonation, smooth, medium/light mouthfeel, warming cleaning acid end

O: less funky but more fruity than deviation (part one of the sours), an excellent beer, good balance, fruit heavy but great mild funk, very easy to drink

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks jmu500...I owe you one! Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a small brandy snifter. Pours a slightly hazy(when yeast and setiment is swirled and poured in) pale shade of gold/yellow. Very small white head that dissapates almost imediately. In this glass, there isn't much lacing, just random thin and fizzy bubbles that slid quickly.

What a great aroma! Lots of brett characteristics, funky sourness...oak, and a lemon crispness. No booze to speak of in the nose.

Tastes just like it smells! Tart up front, oak and lemon...like lemon juice. The second wave is slightly sweet, but finishes quickly with a nice dry sourness that leaves a great tart long lasting aftertaste. Wow what a great beer! Light body, mid to high carbonation...but perfect!

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Received this brew from 0110x011 when it was released. I've been saving this for some reason and review #700 seems like a good enough reason. Drank from my The Lost Abbey goblet.

Review #700

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear yellow with tinges of orange with a nice half finger fizzy white head. No cap remains but a thin collar hangs the entire beer along with a crystal clear glass that contains zero lacing.
Smell- Perhaps one of the fruitiest Wild Ales I've smelled that doesn't actually contain fruit. Whiffs of pineapple and kiwi come to mind upon my initial inhale. It's nicely tart smelling with plenty of green apple and apple cider vinegar. My mouth is salivating already at the sour goodness that's about to hit it. A bit of oak is easily noticeable as is a touch of vanilla amongst everything. Not necessarily the dankest sour I've smelled but there is a bit of horsey aspect.
Taste- Starts with a nice sour bite that is definitely bracing and nice. Again, really fruity at times with a peach and green apple thing that's really nice. Once my mouth acclimates is when I really start to love this stuff. The vinegar aspect is strong and something about it reminds me of some sort of cherry thing. Obviously very acidic and even a light malty toast comes into play. The oak is strong in this one as is the vanillin. Nothing funky in the brew to me at all. It's even ever so slightly sweet toward the finish but the sour lingers on and on.
Mouthfeel- Nice hefty body, especially for the style. The carbonation is fairly aggressive and spot on and a nice quenching finish is bomb.com.
Drinkability- I knew this was going to be good. It's been a fairly obvious consensus on BA for quite some time and I wasn't let down in the least. Supremely drinkable and mega enjoyable, wish I had another bottle to lay down for awhile. Thanks much Matt!

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap.

A- Yellow, hay-like color. Very foggy and some swimmies apparent from the yeats. Small quarter finger head with little lacing. Lots of effervescence.

S- Dank with a big bouquet of layers. Grapes, vines, and a little vinegar upfront. Gives way to some other earth smells like hay, straw, and a hint of lemon. Chardonnay and oak in the back.

T- Like the smell, this ale has a lot of business taking place. Pretty tart and sour upfront with the acidity noticeable. Chardonnay and oak are still here. A little citrus and dark fruit accompanied by the tartness of a cider.

M- Light to medium bodied. You can feel the wild yeasts in this one and the fuzziness.

O- My absolute favorite wild to date. Very sour, but it balances out perfectly with the other flavors. There is a lot of depth in this ale and is if fun to sip and play with the flavors. Glad I got the chance to try this one and it definitely lives up to the hype. Awesome job by Tomme and the crew at Lost Abbey.

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

750ml corked and caged bottle.

A nice pop when I removed the cork and I see the foam oozing from the bottle. A nice cloudy orange coloured brew with over a 1 finger head of foam. Yes!

Taking a few whiffs, this certainly smacks of an American Wild Ale that is of the sour variety. Huge sourness greets my nosebuds...I'm geting mostly grapes(I'm guessing they are bringing some sweet tones as well cuz there is definitely some sweetness here) but also green apples tartness and some notes of citrus fruits.... with a healthy yeasty note and if your whiffs are deep, you can smell the oak aging for yourself. In other words, the smell is outrageously good and implies an equallly good taste. We shall see.

First sip and the sour starts things off very nicely. Green apples, grapes, citrus bitterness, some fruity sweet tones, yeasty, and slightly funky?? wow. Love the flavours here and the sourness intensifies greatly when you swish the beer in your mouth. And..in between all that, a bit harder to detect but it is there, is an oaky goodness. The second pour sems to bring out more of that oak aging but it certainly isn't a dominant feature. No problem. What I'm tasting the most pleases me to no end.

The mouthfeel just creeps over into medium territory and the carbonation is light but perfect for this brew. This sucker is silky smooth. And you know what? Head retention and lacing are superb!

Drinkability? No sign of the abv and quite frankly, I didn't "expect" any as most of the style are in the reasonable alcohol content department. That being said, this is so easy to drink for me, it makes me shudder. I'm so glad I opted to buy this, being a Sinners Club member. So many positives and so few negatives. Are there any? Fantastic brew!!

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle shared for special occasion at Armsby Abbey. Bottle pulled from cellar and slightly chilled on ice. Poured to 2 Lost Abbey glasses.

A: Golden yellow in color. Small head with minimal lacing. Millions of bubbles in glass.

S: Sweet, funky, and fruity. I'm getting some green grapes possibly vinous and earthy must. I want to keep smelling this beer as much as I want to drink it and every drink gets a quick whiff from me.

T: Light and tart. Sour with some funk but not overly done on either. They seem to balance each other out and play nicely. Once again I get the green grape taste coupled with a light fruitiness. My friend comments that it tastes somewhat like green apples, somewhat like wine.

M: Nicely carbed and actually fun to drink. I think this beer is right on the money.

D: I <3 this beer. It is that good. I was not sure if I would get to try it and I'm certainly glad I did. This will hopefully not be my last time with this beer. Will seek out a trade for more.

Special thanks to Chris for this out of his SECOND bottle he opened! Epic

A- golden body of rarity with little to no head

S-very funky and delicious. My mouth is watering writing this review

T- oh dear lord that is the stuff. Funky and rare. The stuff dreams are made of

M-light body and smooth. Soo good

O-wow. Redonkulous!

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to jaIsPoAn for bringing this to our tasting event last night. Huge want ticked off right here!

Lots of hype around this bottle, but I have tried to keep it in perspective and not get caught up in the glamor of the contents.

Nice color, clarity and noticeable carbonation. Really appealing. I swear I started smelling it once the cork came out. BIG tropical fruit notes with enough vinegar to really tingle in the nose. I'm picking up a little Granny Smith green apple skins with that sour, tannic dryness that it is known to possess. You get that funk, but not in the sense of the other Belgians we had next to it. It's more subdued with that stinky gym bag sense (never thought i'd ever get to experience that).

Flavor is filled with that tropical fruit in the aroma. Orange and tangerine really come to the front of the flavor onslaught with really delicious slightly sweet apple cider hitting mid palate. The finish is dry and where the funky aspects really come alive. Seriously, a delicious beer that I am glad I got to return for second.

Worth the hype and definitely one of my favorite of the night. Whenever a personal whale is slain AND you get to keep your money is a wonderful day.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Really enjoyed this one. Pours a nice golden color, quite clear and bubbly. Quality head. Super citrusy sour with a nice funk and malt presence. Strong work Arthur, right up there with 3F and Cantillon.... Could enjoy this beer anytime. Near perfect.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

HUGE Thanks to Chad for sharing this beer with me! This has been on my WANTS for a long time. Pours a murky, golden-orange color with a small, white head that disappears quickly. Scent is oh so funky with some sweet fruit notes...peaches. Sour vinegar and lemon come at me as well. Taste is just as I was hoping. Tart fruit (peaches, green apple, lemon) with some vinous characteristics. Tons of sour and funky flavors with a nice oak backbone. Absolutely delicious! Mouthfeel is a puckering, well-carbonated, crisp masterpiece. Drinkability is very high, especially for this Fresno summer heat. Amazing beer... I would definitely need to do a side by side with Cable Car to see which one I enjoy more.

Poured from bottle into Lost Abbey Tulip:

Appearance: Hazy golden orange. Slight white head that quickly fades.

Smell: Very Funky with notes of peaches and other sweet fruits.

Taste: Tart, fruity, very sour and funky.

Mouthfeel: very sour, makes the mouth pucker, well carbonated.

Overall: Simply amazing. Definitely in my top 3 favorite beers.

Thanks to GRG1313 for this one, poured into a snifter, shared with TempsPerdu

A-Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a quickly dissipating head.

S-Huge sour aroma with a fair dose of funk. Some lemons, peaches, maybe apricots. The acidic sourness really just dominates (in a good way.) Leaves solid lacing.

T-Really nice flavor on this one. Not as sour as it smells, but definitely still a big sour kick. Really complex and interesting sour. Slightly sweet peach flavor (remarkably similar to Flaming Fury even though there are no peaches in this one.) There is a lot going on underneath the sour.

MF-Slightly under-carbonated for my liking and a little syrupy in the back of the throat, but nothing detrimental.

D-Definitely my favorite style of gueuze, what I think of as a "clean sour" (other beers on this level that fit in this made up character of mine: Isabelle Proximus, Flaming Fury, etc.)

4.87/5  rDev +7.7%

Second time having it and was more amazed by it this time.... it deserves to be in the top 100 so here it goes, review #2

A: Golden color with a slight orangey tinge... Light layer of slightly tan head with bits of it clinging onto the edge of the glass. (I am color blind as hell so my colors might be off) it still looks great though.

S: A light sweetness followed to a tart bite that you can feel in the back of your noses.

T: Overly tart apples, with a light sweet funk at the end... Slight traces of lemons/tart citrus through out. I feel the apple shows up more though

M: Lightly carbonated just enough so that you know that it it's there.

D: This is the most drinkable wild ale I have ever had. I split my bomber with a friend and I am kind of sad that I didn't just drink the whole bottle.

4.87/5  rDev +7.7%

Corked and caged bottle obtained in a trade with dagspaceyo, thanks Daniel! I've been waiting for a special occasion to pop it open, but today just felt right. Just returned from NYC, watching the second Packers/Vikings game of the 2009 season at home and waiting for some beer stew to be ready (cooked with 2yr old Bell's Third Coast Old Ale).

DDG is hazy golden colored, very translucent but no floaties (at least in the first pour), with about 1 finger of bright white foam. Some rivulets of lace on the glass.

The aroma is perfect, tart citrus that smells like it came from Brussels. This has all of the best flavors of a wild ale, horseblanket, old leather, and dank basement. It doesn't sound good but it's exactly what I wanted in this beer. The smell of lemons and pineapples brightens it up a bit, this has definite promise.

On the first taste I'm instantly in Brugges, drinking lambics and gueuze in the main square. This is tart and fruity, absolutely perfect. Abrasive and tasty, strong influence from brettanomyces, this is the SHIT. The label states that this is ale aged in oak barrels, but as so often happens with Cantillon and other sour beers from Belgium I have a hard time discerning wood flavors through the bracing sour presence of the beer.

This is about as drinkable as any wild ale can be, the complexity of the flavor keeps me returning to the glass. At only 7% ABV I'd pop another bottle if I had it. Absolutely recommended, I'm completely thankful for the chance to try it.

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey