Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) - Ipswich Ale Brewery

Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.)Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.)

Ipswich Ale Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-07-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) Alström Bros
4.95/5  rDev +28.2%

may be my favorite beer of all.

pours dark for an ipa. almost portery in appearance.

big hops aroma and taste. though not a citrussy hops. very bitter (in a good way).

i believe all of ipswich's beers are brewed on location in ipswich. i know the ipa we get here in boston is.

this is my daily beer. a classic new england ipa. makes me glad to live less than a 2 hour bicycle ride from the brewery!

4.92/5  rDev +27.5%

pours an almost opaque amber. very very cloudy, somewhat reddish.

smells like sweet fruity hops mainly. a little bit citrusy.

taste is very hoppy with sweet fruit on the side. very rich flavor for an IPA. smooth and somewhat creamy in body.

goes down very smooth and easily drinkable. one of my favorite american IPAs.

Ipswich growlers are the shit!

4.88/5  rDev +26.4%

A- Pours a hazy golden orange. Thick head settles down to a firm finger. Incredible lacing.

S- There is a citrusy hops aroma that mixes with a rich, nutty maltiness.

T- Outstanding. Bitter hops is the dominant flavor but there is a piney richness that balances the very pointed hops strength. The citrus element is specifically grapefruit and adds to the enjoyment from beginning to end.

M- Medium. Very rich. Downright lush.

D- Incredibly drinkable. Despite a heavier mouthfeel and solid IPA bitterness, the balanced flavor and the exquisite citrus element makes this not only one of my favorite IPAs but also one of the most drinkable.

4.83/5  rDev +25.1%

This is not a beer your girlfriend will like. But if she does, marry her!

A couple times a year, I head to an island in New England, and have to choose which beer to bring. Invariably, it comes down to Ipswich IPA versus Smuttynose IPA, "Finestkind." These are readily available in 12-packs, at reasonable prices.

If anyone has another suggestion, let me know!

4.83/5  rDev +25.1%

A nice local offering. Proudly brewed in Ipswich, proudly being consumed in Saugus.

A: A very hazy dark orange-amber color, with a very nice white head that settles into a decent lace after every sip.

S: A definite citrusy hops aroma that dominates.

T: A good upfront hops flavor that though it does dominate, but does have a sweetness to it. Very appealing to the palate, and leave you with a tang on your tongue.

M: Crisp and tangy, and very easy to drink.

O: An excellent beer period. Excellent with seafood, or a top quality steak, or with the simple fare of an Summertime BBQ, or just alone by itself.

This is one of my "Old Faithfuls". Whenever I am standing in front of the beer coolers at my local store, and can't decide on something, I grab an Ipswich.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

i like the labeling on the bottle but it says guaranteed fresh and local but do not see a freshness date? looks good in the glass with a very cloudy orange/amber color and two finger beige head. good head retention and nice sticky lace follows the beer to the botton of the glass. aroma fruity with notes of fresh citrus present. malty, grainy, sweet, bready taste nice hop balance slightly tart and bitter finish. full body mouthfeel, grainy, chewy but smooth going down. ipa not my favorite style but this one was very good.

4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Realizing that I've never had Ipswich's IPA, thought I'd give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised.

This pours an attractive and hazy brew, dark orange in color. Quite opaque. The aroma is great, with bright grassy hops, and orange citrus. The aroma comes through on the tongue, plus a little lemon. I love its leafy earthiness. It does have a little something extra on the sweet side that tries to balance the bittnerness, but make no mistake,this is on the bitter hoppy side....pleasantly.

The citrus affects the mouthfeel nicely, and the carbonation is solid. For an IPA (not my favorite style) drink-ability is very high. I had 2 quickly.

I realized once I got to the bottom of my glass that I may have a new favorite IPA on my hands. At the moment I couldn't think of many others I like better, except for maybe Dogfish's 90-minute.

4.57/5  rDev +18.4%

I love this brew.

Pours a reddish orange copper color with a head of tight-knit bubbles. A little cloudy, which I like.

Reeks of hoppy goodness. Some fruit as well.

This is an IPA all the way, strong on the hops but not overwhelmingly so. The malt is there in the background to keep the brew from being one dimensional.

A medium bodied brew and a perfect IPA.

Great beer for anytime , for anything.

4.56/5  rDev +18.1%

This beer is not available in Pennsylvania, and if I happen to be in a New Jersey beer store, I usually pick up a sixer since this beer is a consistently-made quality IPA [and I can get pretty much everything else in my own state].

Appearance: a reddish amber hazy IPA with tiny floaty particles. Excellent appearance..massive off white head poured, and halfway down the pint, the head is still there.

Aroma: I pick out sweet caramel maltiness, strong citrus hops and boozey note.

Taste/mouthfeel: taste starts out with a toasted, crusty pumpernickel bready kind-of-a-malt taste, then melds into delicious, really bitter, puckery bite from the hops [I'd guess centennial..]. Then there is a brief note of smoked wood chips, and finally a rich peppery, yet butterscotchy finish [which is HOT, as in sexy, at least on my tongue!].

Drinkablity gets a 5. Well done Mercury Brewing Company. Jersey beer stores, you'll have a loyal PA customer for life, if you keep stocking this beer..cheers!

PS-I predict this beer might get a cult following..its kind of the "new" Tuppers Hop Pocket Ale. Almost dead on with it in terms of taste.

4.52/5  rDev +17.1%

Most of the IPA's I have had are all about the hops. This is one which is beautifully rounded, all the good stuff is there in the proper proportions.

Poured from the growler it is a little hazy in the glass but with a nice firm head which lasts the whole glass. Apart from holding together as well balanced beer I would say my favourite aspect is the bold body and wonderful mouthfeel. You can really taste the malt and the hop aroma is also well defined. I found the hop bitterness a little high for my liking but I think it works well.

Top class all the way, this is a fave.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance is a nice coppery gold. Head dissipated rapidly, but a nice lacy appearance remained down the sides.

Taste "bites" you at first with strong hop quality. Leaves a rich, full bodied character after the initial bite. Aftertaste is a "tang"on back of tongue with a smoother feel on the upper palate...a nice balance.

Smell lets you know you are about to be hit with some tangy hops.
Frankly, it took me quite some time to appreciate strong hops (I used to drink the bland macro brews), but over time I have come to appreciate the nice balance a brew like this offers.

Drinkabilty is very good...and what you would expect...not a beer to guzzle, but to savor. Definitely recommend.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

This was my first ever cask and I loved it. This IPA was opaque, Brown/red in color. Definitely a lot of sediment to it. Decent head and good lace. Smells like nut. Solid IPA to start.

A lot colder than I thought it would be. This was truly excellent. A lot of sediment and flavor. Full bodied. I've never had the Ipswich regular, so maybe it is always great, but out of the cask it was so rich and enjoyable.

I am a huge, huge fan.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

A: pours a light amber color with a strong inch of head and lots of lace

S: dry hoppiness, very piney and a slight malt sweetness

T: Strong dry bitter and slightly sweet with a lingering hop finish

M: medium body and carbonation

O: A great take on the IPA, a must have

One of my top 10 beers!

I'd have to say this is one of my favorite IPA's primarily b/c it was one of the first IPA's that got me into loving IPA's. I has a highly intense hop aroma with a smooth mouth feel and somehow always a fresh "wet-hop" feel (even though it's not).

Ipswich makes a great beer and they are very consistent with their quality over the years.

4.48/5  rDev +16.1%

Wow. Bought a sixer of this without knowing much about it. No disappointment here.

Appearance: Massive head. I mean, huge. Creamy white, it settled slowly into a rocky, uneven cap that just never left. Semi-cloudy golden-amber. Definitely was a significant amount of yeast in the bottom of the bottle, but careful pour kept most of it out of my mug.

Smell: Lots of citric hops, of course, but a lot more malt aroma than I would have expected. Sweet bready, yeasty notes, too.

Taste: Definitely feel the cascades after the swallow, but the malt balances the hop crispness nicely. This beer, to me, is proof that an IPA doesn't have to be huge to be enjoyable. Well-balanced, in a way no American IPA I've ever had has been. Highly recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Label Lore: Single 270 degree rather plain body label , but intriguing B&W motif cutter ship label declaring Guaranteed Fresh & Local, and (to quote Porky Pig) bi-dee-bi-dee-bi-dee dat’s all folks!

Steeped into me trusty Troegs pint as a deep golden orange hued pour complex in appearance with tons and tons of floating sea monkeys suspended yeast and scrod particles under a modest but present antique white head cap and spotty bubbles.

Scents? Whoa! Grapefruit perfection! Perfect ideal IPA aroma. Malts and loads of fresh squeezed oranges, grapefruits and lemons. I am almost, (notice, ALMOST) sorry to have to drink this since the aroma is superlative.

First Swigs: Excellent balance of chewy malt grain and hops bubblegum dessert. This is good. Rock solid IPA. Caramel sweet smooth vanilla cake malts meets cedar wood yet laid back hops equality. Some grapefruit peach and lemony citrous notes.

Restrained yet mature carbonation crispness that stays true to form throughout the brew. An easy quaffer that offers all aspect in top form: Flavor, aroma, feel and drinkability.

Last swigs: Orange peel and wedge Centennial guess? An excellent American IPA that offers the best of every aspect. Not too malted not too hopped. An IPA to be savored. Well done! IPSWICH has the integrity to build a flavorful IPA that doesn’t overwhelm. This is a Cadillac IPA. Special thanks to my Millis, MA friend JBDubs for bringing this one down. Sorry that it's gone!

Beer is good. Happy beering.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Dense film of light khaki, tight-bubbled head sits atop a slightly hazy, deep copper apricot body. Nice. Juicy Fruit and sugary malt aromas balance well with piney, Scotch-tape hop fumes. Yum. Toasted malts up front, met promptly by bitter, numbing hop spears. Excellently bitter with flavors of pine needles, light citrus, and pineapple. Fruity sweet malt comes through near the long, bittersweet finish. Medium-bodied with a tingly feel that moves to creamy. Well done!

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Many thanks to mschofield for allowing me the chance to try one of the better India Pale Ales I have had in some time.

This golden, almost orangish brew offered a thick, foamy and determined head, as it never left throughout the entire bottle-worth of brew. The aroma was rich of hops and citrus sweetness, although not overly so. Both the flavor and aroma give me hints of piney-type sap, which is just what I am looking for out of this style. A bit harsh with the first couple of sips, this IPA settled in quite nicely, thank you very much. A fantastic IPA, and a surprise find, at that.

Zum wohl!

4.41/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ipswich- I.P.A

Appearance- light caramel orange/ brown with a hazy cloudy look. Lotsa floting things in it. The consistency looks like extra pulp OJ. Decent white head, light lacing, didn't last long.
Smell- fruity/ floral hops. sweet malt.
Taste- nice. light floral hops with a little bitter bite. Sweet malt in the middle, then Bittery hops in the end. balanced well.
Mouthfeel- light and smooth.

Overall- a very good I.P.A. 1 of the best I've had to date.

4.4/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Super nice deep golden bronzed color, clouded with a suspended jelloy haze, finger high head of thick and fluffy yellowish creamyness, fades to a skim always present and lace in stringy broken sheets. Aroma is freshly hopped with some nice citrusy strong pine, highly floral and sweet with a toasty malt backing. Taste is quite nice of floral, cirtusy strong hoppyness, highly crisp and grapefruit peel bitterness, super toasty malt backing with a slight burntness adding to the hop edge which really pokes the palate and lasts throughout a substantially long finish of crispy floral dry bitterness. Yum! Feel is pretty darn full from start to finish and has a whopper of a lingering finish. This IPA is super tasty and has a great floral hop ride, the fullness is a little much and makes for a bit of an overwhelming drinkability, could be smoother in that realm, but otherwise one hell of an IPA by Mercury. Thanks goes to mydeadguy and BIF 4.0!

4.39/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Surprisingly cloudy with tiny suspended particulate. The peachy-gold body is topped by a short and creamy bone-white head that holds OK. It drops to a thin creamy collar but also leaves some lace about the glass. The bouquet is lush with rich and sweet caramel malt and floral hops. The full body is quite supple with a restrained and exceptionally fine carbonation. Lightly creamy and smooth - very nice! The taste lives up to all of the expectations that the nose may have established; starting with a rich, sweet caramel maltiness that becomes fruity and then softens as it warms and a bold bitterness appears, finally finishing with a nice balance of residual sweet malt, dry bitterness, and lingering floral hop flavor. Very nicely balanced and full of character. Definitely worth trying!

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had to travel to MA to get this but well worth it.. one of the better IPA's I've been lucky enough to try. Pours a nice cloudy orange/red with a nie big head and massive amount of lacing.. its making the glass dirty for sure. Not too big of a hop smell to it but some nice sweetness. Nice balanced taste to this one.. yeah it's hopped up quite a bit but a great maltiness to it too which makes it a lot flavorful and drinkable. Really good IPA and the rest of their mix pack is good too!

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: murky pale bronze color, under a sizable settlement of fluffy, creamy foam.
Aroma: oh, now we're talking! Big and citrus, flowery and in-your-face, just where you want it! Fresh, with pine, grapefruit, peach, and more, an intensely flavorful bouquet. Utterly brilliant hoppiness1
Brisk and dazzling on the tongue, a bit tart, and plenty bitter, but never too. Awfully good, this IPA, only a few sips in and I'm wholly impressed!
Fully textured, fully flavored, long finish, perfect balance, non-stop hoppy taste, dancing merrily on the palate.
Damn, this is really nice, a top-tier IPA!

Mr. 36LbLoveChild, my hat's off to thee!

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

This IPA poured a dark orange. A tight white head appeared and slowly gave way to a very thin lace. I even noted some cascading on the pour. The aroma, like most IPA is citrus from the hops and a hint of malt. The taste matches suit very well with the aroma, hops from start to finish. BUT the hops are not overpowering in any means. Hints of grapefruit were over the taste buds. There was almost a creamy feeling in the mouth from this IPA. This IPA packs a very enjoyable flavor. I could enjoy this IPA all night long. Bottom line, this is a very nice IPA!

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured into a frosted Sam Adams Boston Lager Rastal Designer Glass. (Thee best glass)

A. This IPA is cloudy, but its a result of the hand crafted brewing process. Ive had some that are pretty clear, then ive had some that I had to use a strainer to keep out the large amount of yeast. Thick white head with great lacing.

S. HOPS!!! and More Hops!! hints of the typical pine and citrus,

M. Medium body

I love this IPA, Its a contender to the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA.

Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) from Ipswich Ale Brewery