Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,888 | Hads: 5,845

Amazing Black IPA.

Big sticky, and frothy head. Deep shade of brown when held up to light, dark black otherwise.

Aroma is a wonderful blend of roasted malts, bitter floral hops, and tannins.

The taste is really spot on for the style. Perfect balance of malts/hops, both being on the heavy side. However, none of the notes overpower each other. They work in perfect harmony. The alcohol content is covered extremely well. I'd guess 6.8% at best blind taste test.

With the roasted malt notes, a hint of coffee, a bit of caramel. The blend of citric, floral, and piney hops, just works so well.

This beer is really straight forward, but really well done. Amazing beer all around, and incredibly drinkable. One bomber wasn't enough, two would be no problem. Enjoy.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a black, inky body into a tapered goblet, w/ some ruby tones when held to the light. Looks like an RIS, wow. A big tan head quicky forms with excellent retention. Lacing is sticky all the way around the glass. This is a DIPA? Start the revolution!

Pure, unadulterated hops. Massive aroma of citrus, pine and not much else. Those west coast hops have a slight "cat pee" scent, seriously. But it's inviting, not a turn off. Maybe a little charcoal in there but very faint if so. Just a little spicy alcohol as well.

Medium bodie w/ a crisp, moderate carbonation level. M.F. is very full, soft and incredibly smooth. Very nice.

Beautiful, intense and resinous hops. It's strange drinking a pitch black IPA...
Huge grapefruit, lemon, piney hops, very green and grassy which hang around through the finish. An understated yet balancing malt backdrop wraps it up nicely and is lightly sweet and sugary, very similar to Ruination. Some pepper and spice also are biproducts of the hops. Only a subtle, gritty charcoal-esque flavor gives a way the dark malts and a decent, spicy alcohol note makes it warming and more complex.

Stone's done it. A bold, strictly hoppy "DIBA" or whatever, yet not for novices as the alphas are high on the scale here. Great bitterness, very assertive. I'd gladly drink again and will, I bought up plenty (and thanks to trades).
An awesome beer, and drinks pretty well for the ABV.

Highly recommended for the advanced hophead.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a misunderstood BEAUTY. There are very few "black IPAs" on the market. Greg Noonan at Vermont pub and brewery used to brew one and I lived for it. This one takes the cake though. Its appearance is as exciting as the taste profile. The dominant hops are not overpowering so that the chocolate and roasted malts come through. I am not sure why this is labeled as American Strong Ale. It is not like Old Thumper or the old Magic Hat Red Ale, its an IPA on steroids, GREAT BEER.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottled September 2007. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Dark brown, reddish highlights, nice tan head that holds well, a lot of lacing.
Aroma is obviously different than some reviews as this is comparatively older, but well kept in a controlled cellar. Malty sweetness is starting to come upfront, mostly with caramel notes, but the herbal, grassy hoppiness is still impressively obvious, and it eventually dominates the aroma that also shows fruity and flowery notes. Very nice.
Medium bodied, it has a nice balance, and flavors evolve from an initial caramel sweetness, brown sugar, breadiness, followed by fruitiness that is mostly citric, and eventually a very nice grassy hop bite, that if not an assault as described in the fresh sample, it is quite noticeable and eventually dominates.
Very impressive, and I was very happy to hear it will come now as a regular. Unsure if it is better fresh as some mentioned, but cannot compare as I did not have it. As it stands now, it is an amazing beer - I will probably age it again when I get my hands on it.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Wow. This one doesn't taste how it looks and doesn't look how it tastes.

I had this on tap first at Deep Ellum in Boston, then bought a bottle from Whole Foods.

This is a black IPA that's literally black. It sports a great 2-finger head that looks like a milky mocha drink. The lacing that soon develops is gorgeous.

The aroma is crazy. It's the first sense that throws you off because the brew looks like it's infused with coffee and chocolate. But it smells the exact opposite; it smells like freshly mowed summer lawn and grapefruit. Ultimately, it smells very citrusy, with the aroma being part grapefruit, star fruit, grape, and orange without being any of those alone....but I feel it leans more towards a bitter grapefruit than anything else.

The taste embodies the bright, sunny aromas of this dark brew but with the addition of bitter hops. The citrus blast hits first, followed by bitter hops that sit on the palate and fade very slowly. Boozy grapefruit rears its head faintly again at the end before the taste finishes. Underneath all this, there's a sense of earthy, bitter coffee grinds.

Mouthfeel is velvet-like.

Drinkability can go either way here. This is masterfully created so of course I want to drink it. So in that sense, drinkability is high. But, its 8%abv feels more like 10%abv - I think because of the strong hop element - so because of that I don't want more than one or two of these in one sitting. A session beer it is not.

IPAs aren't my favorite style. Yes, I do enjoy a good one (such as Dogfish), but I'm no hop head...I prefer malts. Given that, this IPA-styled brew still amazed me. It's a bit like Picasso - it doesn't end up being what it seems. It surprises you on two levels. The appearance and taste are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Then on top of that, both elements are fantastic in their own right. It looks like a glorious after-dinner stout, but tastes like a top-notch, flavorful and summery IPA. Definitely one of the coolest beers out there. I may not end up buying it much, because it's a bit intense, but it sure impressed me a ton.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- This is my favorite Stone bottle to date. As for the beer, it looks like a stout or a porter... dark dark opaque black with dark brown highlights around the edge of the glass and a finger or so of creamy off-white head. Retains ok and laces nicely.

S- Notice some strong floral/citrus notes as soon as I opened the bottle. Very hoppy--grapefruit, lemon zest, somewhat piney. Not the smell I was expecting from such a dark beer.

T- Wow, that's good. A bit boozy, fades into nice citrus and now stronger piney hops, finishes with a slight sweet note (malt? or even raisin?) that turns into an earthy darker malt tone (some semi-sweet chocolate too). Very nice.

M- Drinks like a big IIPA, a bit prickly from the alcohol, creamy, moderately carbonated, medium bodied, dry sticky finish.

D- This is just a great brew that has me interested. I'm looking for more flavors all the time. It's definitely a dark IPA-style brew, and one I'm happy I got my hands on. Reminds me of a more affordable Black Sun Stout, although it is more of an IPA than the BSS. Great stuff here, probably my favorite Stone brew.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

22oz/650ml bomber poured into a snifter.

A - Looks like an imperial stout at first. Opaque dark brown body, with a nice light brown head and some visible carbonation. Good lacing and head retention.

S - An incredible combination of floral, juicy citrus-like hoppiness, with some caramel tones, and a nice rich roastiness, with hints of dark chocolate and espresso. Barely any alcohol in the nose. The scent is quite unique and very appealing!

T - First you might mistake it for a nice, full-flavoured west-coast IPA, with a good hop bite and some juicy grapefruit notes. The finish, however, has both the bitterness and some nice lingering chocolatey and coffee-like notes. There is also some dark fruit undertones, and a little bit of smokiness, too. Simply outstanding and extremely satisfying!

M - Medium body to it. Some crisp carbonation initially. Smoothly coats the palate, very pleasant in the mouth! For a 8.9% beer, the alcohol is very well-masked!

D - Just because it is so full-flavoured and intense, the drinkability is unlike that of a session ale. But, mind you, it drinks very smoothly and with little effort.

This is easily the best beer I've tried in months, and I try quite a few each month! How about a round of applause for Stone?

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Deschutes tulip.

A: Pours a deep dark brown, nearly black with a 1-1.5 finger light brown head. Minimal retention and decent amounts of lacing.

S: Hops! Piney and resiny some of the darker malts peeking through with maybe a hint of citrus.

T: That piney and resiny hop notes on the tongue, then comes through the dark roasted malts and more hops to finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: Excellent Black Ale! Dare I say the de facto standard for the style? This stuff is just delicious and dangerously drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Bought in NY, smuggled to Chicago, where Stone does not exist....

Out of a 22oz. bomber and into my Delerium Tremens Tulip, this gem pours very dark brown, almost black. Unfortunately my cold does not allow me to pick up all the notes in this one. Roasted malts and a decent hop profile define this beer, but do not overpower the chocolate and some sort of fruit (dates, raisins?) that come through on the back end. There is a slight warming from the alcohol after it is all said and done....until you take another sip....gets more complex as it warms, but again, my cold is not allowing me to identify alot of these tastes. The mouthfeel is exciting but smooth. This is categorized as an American Strong Ale, but it seems like more of an Imperial Stout or Porter. At 8.7%, I'm not sure I could drink this all night, but I wouldn't be afraid to have a couple.

Stone has never let me down before, and judging by this 11th anniversary ale, they probably never will. Well done sirs.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from bomber into my trusty Nonic.
Appearance: was a dark brown; porter, almost stout like with a frothy 1 finger off white head.
Nose: was a huge citrus presence with nice roasted malt overtones.
Taste:Huge bitter citrus bite up front balanced with a strong dark roasted malt.Very complex flavors and unique undertones: Like a strong ipa of grapefruit flavor and a strong bitterness.
Finishes strong with a citrus bite and dark malt with a pleasing bitterness; hides alcohol greatly.
Mouth-feel: Full body and great carbonation with a frothy mouth-feel.

Overall a very solid beer that I found very unique; like a blend of my two favorite styles, solid double IPA and a strong stout. It's been a while that I have been really blown away from a beer and this one did it.
Very glad it showed up at my local bottle shop: Plaza Liquors. Wish I had gotten another one, hopefully it shows up again.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle, enjoy by 7/10/14

A: dark black, opaque with a couple fingers of mocha, khaki carbonated head. Nice looking beer. Nice gobs of lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

S: Piney citrusy hops and some dark and milk chocolate, definitely some latent malts, some roastiness, and a slight sweetness. so hoppy and so chocolately.

T: big coffee and piney and grapefruity hops hit at the front of the palate, milk chocolate in the middle of the tongue. Ligering hops and a slight sweetness stay as an aftertaste. There is a roasty and almost smoky note to it as well. This is an extremely complex and tasty beer. As it warms, more toasty and chocolate notes are present.

M: medium bodied, creamy but finishes bitter and slightly dry. Whets your palate for more.

O: black IPA's not one of my favotie styles by any means, but this is just a phenomenal brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Thick, very dark, gloriously rich looking. Deep, deep velvety red/mahogany around the edges, you won't see much light getting through this brew. Nice 1" head that settled fast to a 1/8" cap that stayed around with chunky lacing to the end of the glass. Beautiful.

Nose: Initial sweetness then the hops came in, definitely a bittersweet chocolate background which surprised me. Dare I say, it smells somewhat like...IPA...the hops are there.

Taste: Initial sweetness, mild chocolate again, followed by that hops come-on. Finishes dry and leaves that wonderful bitterness on the inner cheeks. Maybe a nutty/smokish background there, like faint chocolate covered nuts.

Mouth Feel: Initially I thought it was going to be thick and syrupy, but it felt thinner than appearance dicated. Nice background presence of the hops that stays, but still a smoooth experience. I can feel the claimed 8.7% ABV with a warming in the throat. Not objectionable.

Drinkability: Begs me to have another swallow. One 22oz is a nice sample size, and I don't want to share it! I could drink two of these, but I might need a ride home afther that.

Overall: Very nice! I liked it more than I expected to. 8.5 of 10. (edit: 9 out of 10..read below...)

EDIT: I started drinking this one too cold. It was a bit more bitter/hoppy than I expected. After warming it a solid 10-15 minutes in the glass, it became much smoother, the flavors really came alive with that chocolate/nutty background with a smooth but strong hops flavor I adore. At 45 minutes in, finishing the last third of the 22oz bomber, it was simply phenomenal. I changed my score above to a 9 based on this.

4.61/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The color is a very dark with a large, thick head, and the aroma is hoppy with citrus and resin notes showing out the loudest. The taste is bitter, slightly sweet, and reminds me of some imperial stouts out there; the aftertaste combines a long bitter finish, soft carbonation, medium body, and a slightly sticky texture.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Let me just say that I was a little wary when I purchased this beer. I'm not very partial to black IPA's, as I've had bad experiences with them. Actually, I purchased this beer as part of a four-pack that had three other stone beers I absolutely love. Here goes:

A: Very good. Pours thick and pitch-black. Given the alcohol content and presence of roasted malt, this isn't surprising. I do take a little issue with the size of the head, but the lacing was rather good (good protein content).

S: Again, very good. Roasted malt predominated by cascade and chinook hops. Slightly imbalanced, as the hops predominate, but good nonetheless.

T: WOW. Simply brilliant. A great interplay between the hops and the malt. The first taste one gets is the deep, dark-roasted chocolate malt. Chocolate and coffee predominate. Then, the malt is taken over by the hops, which impart flavors of grapefruit, lemon and pine. After swallowing, the taste of the burnt malt lingers in the back of the throat. Delicious.

M: Gorgeous. Nice and thick. It glides down the throat creamily.

O: A great beer. It has restored my faith in black IPA's. A great balance between malt and hops. Nearly perfect.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I like black IPAs and Stone's offerings so I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

A - Nice rich black color. Off white colored head with fine bubbles and light lacing.

S - Tons of citrusy, hoppy goodness and then some roasty aroma.

T - Great NW hops that provides a ton of flavor coating the palate. There is a sweet roasty character that compliments the hops very well. There is a strong bitterness from both the hops and the roasted malt but there is a sweet malty character that helps balance.
M - Moderate mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. The mouth-feel allows the flavors to be savored and the carb helps the hops pop.

Overall, this is an amazing black IPA. Definitely a beer that I could drink often. I wouldn't want more than a couple at a time due to the tremendous flavor impact and bitterness but it is a tasty brew.

Glass- Snifter

4.61/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle dated "Enjoy By" 10/24/2013, into a tulip.
Appearance - pitch black, a thick, meringue-like, tan head; rings of lacing!
Smell - brilliant hop forward in the nose, with some hints of some roasted coffee beans!
Taste - just great! Follows the nose, maybe a touch more of the roasted coffee bean than is present in the nose. The 8.7% ABV is hidden beatuifully!
Feel - complex like great black IPA's seem to be! Medium body, noticeable carbonation, hop forward, but terrific balance with the dark malts!
Overall - I could drink this everyday and not get tired of it, fantastic beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very dark indeed. Color is ruby brown, almost black aside from the red/purple-ish glow around the edges. Head is great looking. Its big and fluffy, oily, bubbly and color is an orangy beige. Retention is good too. Aroma is pleasing. Pine woods, leaves, orange skins, and a touch of apple, pinapple, dank fruit sweetness. Not done yet. Hop and malts are everywhere, delicately. Molasses blends great with the citrus all along with robust black chocolate. Flavor is delicious but I can't stop smelling this. I find it hard to believe that the sniffability is the only thing slowing down my drinking. Its extremely balanced. The flavors match the aroma - preeecisely on. This is not an extreme beer, but everything within that boundary....which I probably can't define.

All in all this is another great Stone offering. Happy 12th! They have to start distributing to NC so I can buy their awesome beer constantly.

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black in color and poured a frothy and delicious two finger head when poured from a 12oz btl.

Tastes of licorice, wood, licorice, and booze. No complaints here.

Perfect balance of hops and malts. Could not get this down my throat quick enough. Slight licorice bitterness, but the malts counteract it perfectly.

Mouthfeel is silky, rich, and boozy, a definite keeper.

Overall this is one of my favorite versions of a black IPA. Just Simply Great.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale (black IPA)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. Enjoy by date printed on the neck.

Pours pitch black. No light comes through the glass. A nice two and a half finger mocha colored head, that lasts a while. Gives way to sticky lacing all over the bulb of the glass.

The aroma is amazing! Sweet stout like malts, with a huge hoppy burst. Smell is very inviting.

Taste is amazing too. Starts out hoppy with a nice IPA taste. Ends sweet and smooth with stout like qualities. This is a top quality brew!

Mouth feel is excellent. No complaints at all. Nice carbonation. A hoppy bitter bite clings, and ends smooth and a carmel stout like feel.

Overall Stone cant brew a bad beer, they just cant! Every brew they make is outstanding. This is an IPA to remember that's for sure. Every time i see a stone brew i have not had yet I am quick to snag it up.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours pretty much black with a finger of mocha head; dissipates but leaves some lacing.

S: I'm getting a strong hops smell here...just like sticking your face in a bag of hop pellets. This smells very fresh.

T: Very complex tasting: the fresh hops are definitely there but also licorice, dark fruit, coffee and chocolate.

M: Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with a perfect level of carbonation that does not get in the way.

D: The alcohol is nowhere to be found. This is a great beer. I'm not sure that Black IPA works for me as a style but this transcends the style.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

Pours black with a creamy tan head, Shrinks slowly, leaving panels of lace down the sides of the glass.

Scent is toasty and biscuity with a bright citrus note - grapefruit and orange - and a resiny pine scent. Yum.

Taste is citrus (grapefruit, orange, lemon!), piney, earthy, oniony hops. That's a lot of hops. I forgot spicy hops. A satisfying roasty and toasted chocolate malt note peers out from the pile of oily cones.

Mouth is slick, soapy and on the slender side of medium.

Drinkability is excellent. 8.7% abv hidden well.

Fantastic beer. Hop flavors and scents are complex and intense and the malt presence is the perfect counterpart. This is the best beer I have had in quite some time.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very appealing root beer appearance with coppery edges. A large, frothy head that leaves a thin layer of foam and sparse lacing as it recedes. The aroma is a blend of citrus and sharp hops, a bit metallic; reminds me of the smell of a jar full of old pennies just opened. I loved that smell as a kid. Strong hops bitterness hits up front, citrus again with a little hint of alcohol followed by some mild maltiness. Just the right level of carbonation, the hops drys the mouth and leaves touch of bitterness in the back of the tongue. A delicious, unique and satisfying ale all around.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 pint 6 oz bottle with no date poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance - Black body with faint deep red glimmers when held up to a light source. Light brown head with decent to low lacing and decent retention.

Smell - A forest by the ocean. Reminds me of North Carolina. Woody, chocolate, lots of wet grass, floral. Tobacco and ash. Some fruity sweetness peeks through when given a swirl. One of the best smelling beers I've had in a while.

Taste - Wow. Hard fast and complex. Starts of with a light hint of thin sweetness followed quickly by a strong hay-like hop kick and bitterness. Builds up into a lime peel and creamed coffee bittersweetness. Finishes with a healthy hop and malt buzz, mostly leaning to the hoppy side, that lingers well into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and full bodied with a bite-y alcoholic effervescence and some solvency. Warming booziness.

Overall Drinkability - Very drinkable, especially considering the kick and alcohol content. I want to dub it an extreme session (though the bros already have a different use for that term).

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark brown almost black with a nice thick off-white head, lots of lacing.

Amazingly complex smell, intense aroma of pine needles and citrus fruit, strawberries and a hint of dark malts and coffee, one of the best smelling beers my nostrils have ever had the privilege of sniffing.

Tastes like it smells, some coffee and dark fruity malts and intense piney hop finish, this is a hop bomb for sure with a nice malty body to balance it out.

Smooth thick mouthfeel and highly drinkable, especially for the aclochol. I don't know what kind of beer this is, it's more like a dark imperial IPA, possibly the best stone beer ever.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

Taken from notes of the Mondial

A: Pours deep black but just so slightly translucent giving away a light brown/cola hue. Moka head, good retention and lacing.

S: Quite nice mix of strong chocolate, coffee, light vanilla mixed with a solid amount of west coast style hopping that consists of: grapefruit, unripe pineapple, tangerine, pine and fresh mint. Strong, but not wow-like strong smell.

T: The intensity of the taste is just amazing. There are solid dark chocolate in this, coffee and vanilla like most stouts. Again, the hopping is perfect, thanks to the experience Stone has in this subject: super aromatic use of hops with strong grapefruit, pineapple, juicy tangerine, pine and fresh mint. Perfectly balanced of all the fruity juicy-ness and the roasted characteristics of the malt.

M: Smaller than other ABA of this ABV as expected from the look of the beer. Still solid with low carbonation.

O: Another amazing brew from what I consider the best brewery in the world. This sets the bar as to what a damn near perfect ABA should be. And it's easy to get. What more can you ask?

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.