Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
Reviews: 805 | Hads: 2,695
4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel pours pitch black into the glass with a medium sized creamy tan head on top. The foam dissolves slowly and coats the glass with a sheet of lace as it fades.

The aroma has rich notes of roasted malt, licorice, chocolate and coffee. I was looking for more coffee in the nose, but it just wasn't there.

Each sip of this full bodied beer is creamy, velvet smooth, with a moderate carbonated fizz. The flavor is very rich. Roasted malt leads the way, followed by chocolate, molasses and coffee. The coffee isn't as strong as I thought it might be. Towards the end there's an interesting spicy flavor of anise and vanilla. It finishes slightly tart with the spicy flavor lingering on the palate when gone.

This is a very tasty, easy drinking imperial stout. It hides it's nearly 11% abv well. Definitely a different taste than your typical impy stout. The flavor reminded me a little bit of a Christmas cookie.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Split a 500ml bottle with my wife; poured into a Duck Rabbit snifter. A dense ½ finger of dark caramel colored head formed on top of the black body. The color of this is pretty incredible...so dark and pure it turns the snifter into a reflecting pool. The foam stuck around for a while and coated the sides of the snifter nicely...good lacing.

Hmm...the nose put me off a little...I was expecting a huge coffee bomb...not the case. The dominate aromas are dark fruits (fermented cherries) and molasses. The coffee is present, but more in the background.

The taste is right where the nose suggests. Lots of aged fruits and molasses dominate the palate. I am getting a lot of anise also. Smoke, espresso, charred beef and chocolate are all present, but like the nose, in the background only.

The mouth feel is the best part of this drink. Thick and smooth without being overly creamy or heavy. Very little carbonation...almost flat.

Is this drinkable? Yes, but the very strong flavors and booziness (which comes out in the finish) would limit one's consumption. This is a beer that every stout lover should try...truly a unique beer drinking experience!

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pours a pitch black color with a caramel colored creamy head which dies down to a very thin caramel colored ring. As I rotate my snifter, there's a syrupy & viscous coating that clings to the glass and oozes down the sides.

S- Black expresso coffee, mild toffee, burnt roasted chocolate.

T - Mimicks the nose with burnt toffee and bitter dark roasted chocolate. There's a dark coffee nuance that hits up front, and hits hard. As the roasty bitter flavor subsides in the middle of the palate, the flavor erodes and morphs into a dark fruit/medicinal semi-boozy finish that warms the throat and leaves a thick coating of creamy expresso lingering aftertaste in the mouth.

M - Medium mouthfeel, silky on the tongue with a mildly sticky coating on the lips. The body could be thicker for a beer of this stature, lost points here.

O - one of the better coffee stouts I've had, worth pursuing.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

A Pours almost flat black into my CBS snifter. A pretty good sized brown head immediately foams up and leaves some bubbles and lcing after it comes back down. The body is opaque and everything looks pretty good

S Coffee roast takes care of the majority of the scent along with some boozy heat

T medium roast coffee and sweeter coffee bean taste come out upfront. There's an alcohol taste that isn't too much, along with some bitter chocolate and a hint of dark fruits. Lots of flavors in this and theres almost an oak taste on the finish. Really nice stuff.

M The feel is heavier for a stout and extremely smooth.

O I really liked this stout. Flavor was great and delightful to drink. Coffee was obviously the main factor but the other flavors worked well together. Add in the oatmeal smoothness and this is a winner

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a snifter.

I buy beer for all kinds of reasons. I buy beer because it's on the Best of BA lists. I buy beer because certain reviewers whose opinions mirror mine enjoy it. I buy beer if it's a special release, in limited quantities, or it just happens to hit the shelves as I walk by. I buy beer if my beer guy tells me to. I buy beer if I like the label. And sometimes, I buy beer because it's made out of weasel poop. This is that beer.

Pours jet black with four fingers of very rich chocolate colored foam. Tons of lacing left behind. Great looking beer.

Roasty nose...roasted barley and roasted coffee beans take center stage. There's also some dark chocolate, vanilla, and ripe dark fruit in the background.

The roasted barley and coffee beans take center stage once again in the flavor, although it's not an unpleasant burnt roast. It's a really smooth roast. I like it. Loads of sweet chocolate and a flavor that I almost want to call bourbon-like. Nice bitter finish, which appears to be equal parts roast and hops.

I love the texture of this beer. Rich imperial stouts have, by far, my favorite texture of any beer. This is a huge beer. Rich, thick, chewy mouthfeel. Would it be redundant to call it plush?

Definite sipper. Not only is this beer too big (both ABV and texture) to gulp, it's also too complex. I wouldn't want to miss out on a single drop of this beer's flavor. Good stuff. I might go so far as to say that this beer is the shit.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Decided to try this when we heard about the origin. Something this different has to be put to the hype test.

A- completely black with a sticky, lacey, carbonated head of dark brown. The head floats almost above the beer with a oily separation from the body. This grabs onto to sides of the glass and refuses to let go.

S- Cocoa, and coffee. A musty smell and a little bit of gym sock.

T- Stong coffee backbone and a warming alcohol feel but not enough to effect the taste. A solid aftertaste of licorice.

M- Slight creamy feel but very gritty. Feels good on the toungue but the oilyness sticks to the roof of my mouth.

D- Strong flavors give this a good pupose and would be great to test your palet but one time is enough. Glad to try it but probably a one time deal.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

"The best part of waking up is drinking coffee pooped by a cat." - Stephen Colbert

500 mL bottle, a beer I've always been on the lookout for finally shows up in the Southland. Served at ~ 60 degrees,

A: Pours black with a 2 finger frothy brown head, light lace, good retention.

S: Coffee/mocha, has some sweetness in the nose, bittersweet chocolate. Very minor hint of blueberry.

T: Terrific coffee notes and heavy baker's chocolate/cacao nibs. Roast is moderate, definite black licorice component in the finish. Very dark flavours, but no burnt/charcoal tastes which is a definite bonus when comparing it to the Beer Geek Breakfast. I'm really close to 4.5 on this one, if 4.25 was available that would be the score.

M: Full-bodied, robust. Smooth and creamy, very soft carbonation. Booze is extremely well hidden.

D: This is a good coffee stout. For me it's just missing something to make me go crazy, but this is clearly well made and worth the $8 for a bottle for fans of this style. My dad who is not a stout fan by any means raved about this one, high praise. Going back, they priced it at $15, that's pushing it, guess I got lucky.

My 100th review!
Poured from 16.9 oz bottle into snifter glass.

Pours a jet black color with a thin mocha colored head. Appears to have low carbonation as I poured vigorously and did not get much head on the beer.

Not as much coffee aroma as I would have expected. Getting a fair amount of oats and some chocolate roasted grains. Not very complex, straightforward and simple.

Taste is very similar to aroma. Starts out very creamy with a moderate chocolate and coffee taste. Coffee taste comes through a little stronger on the finish and aftertaste, but not as prevalent as I would have thought. Really like that there isn't a bitter chocolate flavor like in so many other imperial stouts. Really smooth and this beer transitions very well from start to finish.

Creamy mouthfeel, with full body and low carbonation. Pretty drinkable for 11%. Very sticky and viscous.

After the first few sips, this beer really grew on me. It's nothing really extreme like I expected. Loved the creamy oats and the subtle coffee (as compared to other coffee stouts such as FBS) and moderate chocolate. Reminded me of a chocolate mocha milkshake.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle poured into a CBS snifter. Number two in the baller stout and its friends tasting

A - Dark brown, almost black. Had a small mocha colored head. Not too vicious but had a nice thick look to it

MF - Smells of resin and hops first which reminds me of beer geek breakfast. There are also nice hints of caramel, vanilla and nice coffee hints to it. Has a good nose to it for sure.

T - At first, there is a slight caramel sweetness with a slight cocoa note to it. As the beer continues, you get hops and a smooth bitter coffee that comes on the backend. Leaves quite a hoppy resin on the tongue.

MF - Thick, smooth and creamy. Has a slight astringency to it that comes through with the coffee and hops that lingers on the tongue in the aftertaste

O - Good, solid stout from Mikkeller. Has a really nose. Overall I was surprised at how hoppy this was and had a strong bitter coffee presence that came through.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

A-Pours impenetrable shiny black with a gorgeous, tightly constructed dark amber head. A very attractive beer. I watched the head fade away to a thin amber sheen, with intermittent dark patches of tiny, mocha colored bubbles.

S-Chocolate almond biscotti, amaretto, chicory, milky light roast coffee.

T/M-Very hoppy considering the style, but it works. Dry, astringent hoppiness butts up against a mouthful of roasted barley. The roasty bitterness falls off mid-palate, fading into lush, dense coffee flavors. This coffee is very different from what you usually get in a coffee stout. The flavor is very earthy. Makes me want to try a cup of the coffee on its own. Mouth feel is alternately silky smooth and intensely bitter, which does ultimately affect the drinkability.

O-My favorite of the Breakfast series to date.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Reviewing after a long stint of not reviewing because I felt obligated to due to the interesting nature of this beer...

Big big thanks to bluemooncanyon for sending to this me, very generous!

A - Black with a deep brown head that leaves behind a touch of lacing. Note - the head appears slowly on this one. I poured aggressively and didn't get much head, and then before I knew it, my beer was overflowing. Be warned!
Great looking beer.

S - Dark fruits, a bit of coffee, lots of toffee. Beautiful!

T - Cherry cherry cherry. Maybe some other dark fruit, but this tastes very strongly of cherries to me. Nice roasted coffee as well. Very tasty. A bit sharp, though.

MF - Smooth and heavy, just like an IS should be. Almost creamy.

O - Tasty beer. I don't pick the coffee up quite as much I'd like, but it is there, mainly in the aftertaste. I think this is quite a delicious beer, worth exploring at least once.

edit: just finished. took my time. quite the hefty experience.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Got this 500ml bottle at Pinocchios and poured into a Duvel snifter. This beer pours black with a two-finger mocha-colored head settling to a coating which lasted throughout. Lacing was irregular but interesting and present at the last sip. Nose was coffee, chocolate, some dark roasted malt. Taste was coffee, dark chocolate,molasses, roasted malt and some spice, including pepper. Aftertaste was mildly bitter. Not a lot of carbonation, the mouthfeel was creamy, rich and thick. There is some noticeable alcohol. A little too expensive for me to try very often, but off this first try, I would certainly want to.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip glass. A beer my wife got me as an Easter gift, been in the cellar about 6 months now.

A- A rather agressive pour renders a lively mocha head that came up to the rim of my glass. After a few minutes it settled down to a one finger head sitting on top of a deep deep black beer as dark as the night. Very good looking beer, seems like i cant get enough of the look of imperial stouts.

S- On the front of the nose i get alot of super earthy aromas followed by coffee, then some bready sweetness and some chocolate. Upon shaking up my glass and getting another deep whif, theres alot of smoky aromas. Again there is alot of earthy coffee. You can tell this isnt just any coffee in this beer. Not and extremely complex smelling beer but man, it smells good.

T- Sweet, malty, roasty, coffee followed by more sweetness with a very clean finish. Not alot of aftertaste here. Second sip renders more coffee, chocolate, some caramel finished off a little boozy. Like the nose, the palate brings up that very intense earthy coffee, fantastic.

M- Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, not thin but not thick.

O- Overall a fantastic imperial stout. Im glad i have since purchased more of these to enjoy later. I recommend this beer to all the stout lovers out there.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

I bought this beer because, well, I had to know what cat shit from Southeast Asia tasted like. Appearance is a deep black color, with a quick to form large tan heading, which just so happens to also be quick to fade, leaving a small ring around the glass. I like that it builds up and dies down quickly, I like it. Aroma is very pleasant. I get milk chocolate, an underlying coffee presence, and a sort of earth flavor that melds really beautifully with everything else. Really, the nose gets better and better, maybe that is because of the addition of the poop. Taste is not as astonishingly good as the smell unfortunately but still very tasty. I get burnt coffee beans, hint of earth, bitter chocolate and an aftertaste of marshmallow. Not especially heavy mouthfeel, in fact it feels rather light for the style. Alcohol is not noticeable at all. Where that 10.9% is, I do not know. After sort of disliking the Beer Geek Breakfast, my faith in Mikkeller has been restored with this brew. The smell alone makes it worth buying. I want more.

2011 vintage

a - poured a one finger creamy, dark coffee-colored head into a snifter that left good lacing and sheeting but it was gone halfway through. the body was dark black.
s - coffee and dark fruits.
t - oatmeal, dark fruits, coffee.
m - creamy, smooth, slick. best part of the beer.
o - really interesting and delicious beer.

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured this 1 pt. .9 oz. brown bottle into a Sierra Nevada Hops glass. No date. The vigorous pour created a tall dark head that looked like a creamy root-beer float. This faded quickly to a ring and then nothing. The body was very black with brown hints.

Smell was big time coffee and cocoa powder. Lightly metallic.

Taste was creamy bittersweet cocoa. Lactic. Earthy. Complex layers of flavor unfold. Multidimensional. Dark chocolate. Dry. Rich grains. Very well hidden alcohol. Forward roasty bitterness followed by a sweet lip coating finish.

Mouthfeel was hefty, creamy and smooth. A meal in a glass. The only knock against this beer was the coagulated clumps of protein that made me pour out the last inch of beer from my glass. The slimy texture was a mood killer.

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

500ml bottle poured into a Harpoon 100 Barrel Series gold rimmed stemmed glass.

A - Pours an inpenetrable, thick black color with a thick three fingers of dense milk chocolatey brown, mousse-like foam with excellent staying power. After finally dying down a bit, rings and spiderwebs of lacing cover the walls of the glass. Gorgeous beer...looks like dessert in a glass.

S - Getting lots of milk chocolate, molasses, caramel, dark roasted coffee, hints of vanilla, a bit of bourbon-like aroma and some quite noticeable alcohol.

T - Bitter coffee up front with an alcohol presence that sends a light burn into the nose on the inhale. There is a burnt, charcoal like flavor that on the fringe that stays thru to the aftertaste. Bitter and milk chocolate come thru nicely and are joined by some light vanilla as well. Some dark fruits round things out. Overall this is quite bitter, burnt and coffee/espresso like in character...first thing that comes to mind is an irish coffee...

M - Just a little about medium bodied in feel. A real surprize considering how thick and syrupy the poured appeared. I thought this would be more like maple syrup than anything. Carbonation is light...just the faintest of tingles on the tongue. Slick and oily, just glides over the tongue. Light alcohol heat on the swallow and lingering after as well.

D - A bottle of this is definitely enough, maybe more than enough. Struggling to finish this on my own just a bit. It is very smooth and extremely flavorful and complex. The alcoholburn is just enough to be slightly negative in the drinkability aspect though.

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

500ml bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a thin yet dense dark brown head that faded into a wispy film and collar that left spots of soapy lace down the glass.
S: Strong notes of dark chocolate and roasted coffee beans. I'm picking up sweet dark fruit notes as well as something almost spicy smelling. Very interesting.
T: Much stronger than Beer Greek Breakfast with a bolder and very different and stronger coffee flavor. Molasses is present along with notes of black licorice, caramel, black pepper and some sort of sweet berry or fruit flavor that I can't put my finger on. There is just the faintest amount of leafy hops in the finish, and the aftertaste has a touch of coffee acidity and dark chocolate bitterness. Not much oat.
M: Full bodied with a slick creamy mouthfeel from the ample yet delicate carbonation. Alcohol is warming in the back of the throat but never hot or uncomfortable.
D: One of the best coffee beers out there and well worth the price. The coffee flavors in this are very unique and unlike other coffee stouts I've had. If you're a fan of coffee, especially Vietnamese coffee, this is the beer for you.

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

On-tap -> tall tulip at Max's Taphouse in Baltimore, MD. A buddy tipped me off on this one being on tap, I went on over to check it out. I'm a big fan of what Mikkeller is doing. I enjoyed the "breakfast" version quite a bit.

A - Pitch black, thin off-white head, no carb presence, nice webbed lacing

S - Has a very dry aura to it. It's kind of hard to describe. Almost vacuum like. There's not too much to it, but it does seem to repel all other aromas. This really threw me for a loop as I was expected a big coffee nose.

T - Sharp dark roasted coffee note, savory and almost salty notes in the middle, clean sour and tart finish.

M - Medium bodied, slight alcohol warmth but not nearly what I expected from a 10.9% brew.

O - As described, this is awesome for brunch. You've been up for a while and don't need the string aroma to wake you up, but you want some of that coffee flavor. Full flavored and high abv make this a very nice early afternoon sipper. I'd get this again without question.

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

Pretty interesting story behind this with the rare coffee extracted via wild cats. It was enough to get us to buy it!
Pours the deepest and thickest of blacks. Everywhere it touches on the glass has a brown film. Head's there throughout as a sheen, but kept under control via a normal pour.
The nose isn't as coffee heavy as I expected. There are some roasted grain notes, baker's chocolate, and even some fruity acidity to add a bit of a sour note.
The flavor up-front is semi-sweet chocolate and a bit of cherry and citrus rind (from the hops), with the coffee coming in big in the finish. It's interesting the way that flavor is held back until the finish each time. Too many other coffee beers go crazy with that flavor, and Mikkeller seems to have mastered working with it.
Good stuff, and you can't help but pick up different nuances in each sip. Sometimes I get dried stonefruits, other times more of a caramel or nuttiness. While there's some clear heat as the beer warms a bit, nothing detracts from sipping more.
Texture is super-thick, keeping this beer in slow sipping territory...and this is a good thing.
I split my bottle and it was gone inside 15 minutes. With a beer this rich and potent, I'd say that's pretty impressive.
An excellent coffee beer that breaks a lot of norms.

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

This is a very good beer indeed - my first impression is liquid gingerbread but without the spiceyness.

The feel is full and round with adequate carbonation and a pleasant smoothness. I am not getting much from bthe smell but I tend to like citrussy smells so I will let it pass - must try !

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

Picked up a bottle of this at Julio's a while back. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a oily black hue with a one finger mocha head that fades to leave a thin blanket of creamy mocha goodness.

S - Smell is a bit underwhelming. Lots of rich chocolate malts and coffee. Thought there was supposed to be some hops in this...

T - Taste, unlike the nose, has lots of solid delicious coffee with dark roasty, toasty rich malts. Absolutely delicious.

M - Rather nice feel for a stout. Nice and creamy, not too thin at all.

O - Overall this was a good stout with very nice coffee notes. Still though I would like to see a bit more hops featured in this.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Pitch black even when being poured. Aggressive pour generated only a finger of head, but the head is the darkest brown I've ever seen on a beer. Head doesn't stick around for long though. Some lacing around the glass.

Coffee is first to the nose, with a light vanilla note. Dark chocolate and something woody also in the aroma.

Tastes like a fairly sweet coffee, with definite chocolate notes. Some licorice and molasses as well. Faint lingering roasted flavour. Quite delicious. Alcohol well hidden.

Full bodied with almost absent carbonation. One of the rare occasions when I would like carbonation to be just a touch more lively. Good mouthfeel none the less.

10.9% ABV without feeling boozy. Still a sipper from the big flavours, but an easy drinking one considering the strength.

Edit: Right near the last third of the bottle, the flavours got a tad cloying, knocked off a bit of its score, especially the drinkability.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks Mark for pulling this out when I went to HopCat! Pulled from my notes from that day.

A- Poured a nice dark as night black color. Little 1/8 inch brownish tan head that seemed to hold for a little bit. The lacing on the glass stuck a little but seemed to also run down the sides of the glass.

S- Big coffee smell here. Large roasted malts smell along with some faint chocolate notes put in there. This smells wonderful and I have not smelled a big coffee stout like this in a long time.

T- Well this tastes like coffee. I think my buddy said it was like drinking cold coffee. There is a sweetness to it though...the chocolate notes coming into play with the roasted malts. The alcohol is apparent at the end but I think the coffee comes through and kills a lot of the flavors in this...alcohol included.

M- This is a heavy beer to me. Not as heavy as the Nightstalker I had before it but still a big beer on its own. Good carbonation to it. Coats the tounge in a coffee flavor that sticks around and slowwly goes away till you have another drink.

D- I could drink this again and again. By far one of the better coffee stouts I have had. I want to keep a couple in the cellar and let them put some age on before I break out to share with friends.

A 500 mL bottle.

A: The stout is pitch black. I don't think that any more words are needed to describe the darkness. Atop the stout, a cafe au lait colored head measured nearly two fingers and left mild lace behind.

S: The aroma is burnt, a harsh roasted scent that offers up just a hint of oatmeal sweetness. A strong coffee presence is fairly meaty, bitter like Starbucks.

T: Chocolate and booze drench the palate on first sip. That sweet but hot flavor is a nice sign of things to come. Immediately after that flavor, coffee becomes very apparent. The coffee is bitter but not over the top. Oatmeal is sweet, cutting into the sharp malt flavors, rendering them much more palatable. The full stout/coffee flavor is rich, very warming, like a good cup of coffee. I'm not sure how much the ca phe chon coffee really adds to the beer though (other than marketing panache).

M: The mouthfeel is rich, full of stout, coffee and oatmeal flavors, as well as an abundance of booze.

D: At nearly 11%, this is a whopper. I'm taking my time getting through it, as it could easily knock me on my ass.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS