Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,584
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,604 | Hads: 10,699
4.31/5  rDev -4%

Part 2 of 3 in my count down to my 200th review.

Poured from a 2008 bottle (bottled on 10/21/2008 so 9 months to the day since it was bottled). I had this back in February and loved it, and wanted to see how it had changed in the last 9 months.

Poured half into my Darkness Tulip and half into a standard pint glass for my friend who is a self-proclaimed bourbon fiend. I figured he would enjoy this one, so I offered to share some.

Pours a viscous black motor oil like liquid. Black as night. Thick and slimey almost. A good swirl shows one of it's best qualities, the ability to temporarily stain the glass a murky and evil brown. I tried hard to get a nice head, but I failed, barely making a one finger head in my tulip. My buddy, on the other hand, produced a much more impressive one in the pint glass. Decent retention but not much lacing. This is some thick stuff.

The bourbon has definitely dropped off in the last 9 months, but it is definitely still there. I'm kinda shocked at how much this has changed in such a short time. Big bourbon scent with subtle vanilla and oak hints. I get a significant portion of burnt malts and sugars.

Taste is a lot like I remembered, big bourbon punch. Thick and creamy. I get a lot more vanilla and oak than I did in the 2008 bottle I had in February. The bourbon has dropped off a bit, but there is shadows of it's former self. I get bitter chocolate, bourbon and vanilla. My friend commented on how this would make a great dessert beer. I would agree with that.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. It slides around your mouth, coating it much like it coats the glass. I've never had motor oil, but I would imagine this is the same consistency as that.

While the 13% is barely noticeable, the drinkability definitely takes a hit in this one. It's not that it's hard to drink, it's just the consistency of the liquid coupled with the big flavor. Besides, if you chug this you deserve a slap in the face.

I would recommend this to someone who loves big beers and bourbon. I have only gotten into bourbon in the last half year or so, and I definitely didn't enjoy this as much in February as I did this time around

1.52/5  rDev -66.1%

I got this from a wine/beer shop where the owner said he'd heard good things about this one but hadn't tried it yet. Well, he won't hear anything good from me. I don't remember the last time I didn't finish a beer. Just dreadful bleck. A friend with me shared my opinion.

This beer either represents the Emporers New Clothes of craft beer or there was something wrong with this bottle. It looked a fine dark brown/black. The smell was of molasses, burned things,raw alcohol and more burned molasses. A hint of overheated radiator was one of the better scents. The taste was big and layered, but the waves of burned sugar, gloppy sorghum, alcohol, just kept coming like a string of plague rats jumping into my mouth. I'm not sure of the mouthfeel, as I was too busy thinking of ways to apologize to my tongue.

If you took a Guinness and let it bounce around in your car trunk for a summer spent in the desert, added various burned molasses concoctions and some bourbon you had washed your feet in, you might approximate the flavor. This is the Edsel of beers in my opinion, and I am a huge fan of big stouts.

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

vintage 2008 on tap at the Clybourn brewpub on July 19th 2009. pours an opaque black with a single finger of rich dark brown head into a snifter. the brew itself is a bit thinner in consistency than the previous batches.

aroma is very rich with woody, maple syrup, and heavily roasted notes up front, and a base of earthy bourbon and wood. dark chocolate and a bit of alcohol are in the background. there is tons going on in the profile, with an overwhelming richness and concentration. the aroma gets a bit more roasted upon a bit of warming, with a bit more alcohol as well.

taste is quite rich and syrupy with warming oaked and creamy black malt. other notes include dark chocolate, bourbon, wood, coconut, vanilla cream and a light alcoholic tinge on the finish. not much changes over warming except a bit more booze in the finish. wonderfully rich on the palate.

mouthfeel is super-full bodied and surupy in texture, with a distinct creamy finish that is unique from the previous batches. very thick and warming on the palate.

drinkability is decent. a beer this big and complex is inherently less drinkable than lighter counterparts, but the profile is very rich and full of all the right notes (long story short, if this brew can stand up to the spicy sriracha wings with wasabi aioli, it can stand up to anything!). the earthy and oaked notes smooth out any alcoholic bite and syrupy texture into a complete package that is unmatched in sheer size and richness. cheers!

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Deep dark and luxurious pour. It was the aroma that got me hooked, though. Vanilla from the Bourbon barrels - and I'm not sure I'm supposed to say where the barrels are from but I'll divulge it anyway - Pappy Van Winkle!! This is a dessert beer. Have it with a brownie. I had it after dinner at a bar and it was one of those times where I got up out of my stool, carried the beer to a far corner and had a quiet moment alone with it. It was necessary.

The mouthfeel was unctuous. The flavors - rich, slightly sweet, but with such alcohol driven power - it was quite the experience for all the senses. This will have to rate among my top ten beers of all time.

Matlida is a great beer, but this one was my special favorite...

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

2008 Bourbon County Stout

Poured into a large wine glass.

A- Black, barely any head. Slim off-white color head skimming the top. Some hints of red.

S- Pretty power smell of bourbon. Somewhat overwhelms the smell. Some hints of vanilla, fig, generally dark fruit. However, there is something off-putting about the smell, something just not quite right. Not sure what it is, but it does impact how enjoyable it is.

T- Bourbon! However, not as overpowering as the smell. Much more balanced and smooth. There are also some chocolate notes, as well as raisin and cherry notes. The bourbon taste continues to tone down the longer it is in the glass.

M- Thick, but smooth. Great warm alcohol taste at the end of the mouthfeel.

D- The smell a the beginning made it difficult to get into the beer, but once you actually taste it, it is surprisingly drinkable. If you hate bourbon, this might not be your thing.

Overall, very solid beer. Great taste once you get past the odd smell.

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a bottle from October 10, 2008. Props to my girlfriend for buying me this while in chicago. Splitting this beer with my dad.

A pitch black treat comes pouring from the bottle into my snifter with a brown head that sits on top. There is some lace, but the head retention is not great. Gotta love motor oil!

Lots of bourbon, coffee, and oak hits my nose. Then chocolate and vanilla.

A great tasting brew. Bourbon and vanilla up front, followed by some roasted coffee and chocolate, then bourbon again in the finish, which leaves my tongue tingling as I wait for the next sip. As it warms there is some fruitiness too.

I love how this beer just leaves my mouth tingling. So many flavors so little time. There is a creaminess and fullness to this beer. The drinkability is pretty good. I would love to have more than one but don't want to put a big dent in my stash.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz. brown bottle with the bottled on date clearly marked on the back label. Mine said bottled on 10/05/08 and I opened it on 7/16/09, so it was just over 9 months old when I tried it. The Goose Island website said it will keep for 5 years, so I was well within the optimum tasting range.

The pour was black as oil with a slight purple tinge when held to light. There was absolutely no head, foam, or lacing anywhere to be found.

The smell was a heavenly mix of bourbon, chocolate, and caramel. I couldn't wait to taste it.

This is one delicious beer. Bourbon is the predominent flavor but it is not overwhelming. Chocolate and caramel malts along with a burnt wood barrel and coffee-like flavor add to the deliciousness. The addition of Willamette hops gives this beer a 60 on the IBU scale and helps to balance out all the sweet flavors.

The mouthfeel is smooth and full bodied with just enough moderate carbonation to make this easy to drink. The high alcohol content of 13% warms the throat and keeps this beer a sipper for sure, but if it didn't give me a head buzz after just one glass, I could have downed these all night.

This was my first crack at a barrel-aged bourbon beer and all I can say is that either Goose Island did one hell of a job with this one or else bourbon style beer is going to be one of my favorite styles from now on.

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

2006 bottle. St. Bernardus goblet.

Rough pour yields no head. It's black as pitch, and looks viscous. There's a thin tan ring around the edge.

Smooth but strong scent. Spicy oak. Leather. Vanilla, tobacco. Bourbon -- but it's not overwhelmingly boozy.

Very difficult to divorce taste from mouthfeel because this is so viscous. But gods, it's delicious. Leather, vanilla and oak dominate up front, with the alcohol providing a warmth much like that of a bourbon, but never dominating the taste. It's spicy at the middle and finishes with a deep, burnt chocolate/coffee flavor. I can't do this justice in description. It is simply delicious. I desperately wish I lived in a place where this beer was available. It may soon taste of salt, for I know it will be my last for a long, long time.

Motor oil thick on the palate, but with just a smidge of carbonation, even after 3 years. It's thick as hell and sticky, but manages to finish surprisingly clean, coating the palate just enough to make me reach for the glass again. The alcohol gives it a nice whiskey warmth that rushes through the sinus cavities after it's swallowed. Invigorating.

I dunno, is a beer like this *ever* "drinkable"? It's a sipper for sure, but a damn good one.

4.49/5  rDev 0%

Pours thick black, almost no foam. Nose is of rickhouse, oak, bourbon, vanilla, coffee, alcohol...something I can't quite put my finger on...cheap licorice! Taste of all the same things, finishes big with a nice medium roasted coffee taste. Not particularly bitter, or dry and surprisingly sweet. Second taste brings a strong essence of chocolate at the front. Wow. BIG beer. This glass is gonna take a while.

3.85/5  rDev -14.3%

I'd heard about this beer, but was completely unaware that it rated so highly when I had it at Viggo's, so thanks for sharing, man! That said, I think my ignorance helps remove any potential hype around this one, and even after that I have to admit its a pretty damn good beer.

Very dark brown pour, with limited retention and no lace. Roasty nose with a bourbon spiciness and alcohol underneath. Interesting flavour - obviously lots of bourbon, but with caramel peat and brown sugar thrown in. Mostly bourbon, though, and a nice one. Very solid body, quite chewy and thick with low carbonation. Its pretty damn drinkable for an impy, but the alcohol is damn dangerous.

Cheers Eric!

4.17/5  rDev -7.1%

2008 Vintage - Served in Brandy Snifter

A - SRM 50 Black sludge-looking liquid pours ominously into the Brandy snifter. The beer was poured at moderate-pace, so head was not even finger-thick. The color of it though looks a smoked dark hue, which gives the appearance of roasted coffee. It fizzles down pretty quickly, which indicates lower levels of carbonation and when swirled, leaves little lacing.

S - Sweet vanilla mixes with the boozy esters of Bourbon and caramel. Smoked woody character attempts to balance out the sweet malt. A toasty character also comes through, though no hops are evident.

T/M/D - Full-bodied beer with sludgy mouth-feel that coats the palate thoroughly with rich vanilla, caramel and a kiss of hops. The finish is very wet with a lingering caramel/vanilla/chocolate mix of malt. The bourbon comes on strong and the booziness definitely warms the body and provides a slight sting in the top of the mouth. Bourbon-aspects also come through, which is what provides the aforementioned sting. This beer definitely hits the extreme levels of beer and drinkability is one at most. This beer is meant to be sipped over a long cold evening, though one can drink the beer indoors at night over a long movie in the confines of air conditioning.

C - A very complex beer that requires a lot of respect by the drinker. At 13% ABV, I definitely won't be having another!!!

2.77/5  rDev -38.3%

Pours out an oily, thick crude with just a slight tan covering for a head

I could smell this big brew while pouring it; booze, cherries, bourbon, vanilla, coffee

Taste & Mouthfeel
Wow! A lot going on here... First I'm struck by the milk-like softness in the texture and the low carbonation; next comes the flavor, which is a lot of bourbon on top of big stout flavors; pretty hot, and weighing in at 13%, it's definitely a sipper; not a fan of the flavors here...just too bourbony, making it one-dimensional

Not being a fan of bourbon/whisky, I just am not getting into this beer. It's so heavy and boozy, with the bourbon really overpowering the profile, that I don't even think I can finish half the bottle!

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours nearly black with thick but vanishing head. Lacing clings to glass. No light at all passes through the glass. Aroma of bourbon overpowers all others. Better try this one sitting down or it will knock you over! The label proclaims <i>"One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer"</i> and they are not kidding. Thick bodied, with powerful bourbon flavor with notes of chocolate and coffee. This is some strong stuff, meant for sipping, which is good because at that strength you aren't going anywhere soon I hope. Very good!

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours very dark, with a brown tinge at the top when held to the light, otherwise pretty much black. Head is not very existent, with a ring of ochre foam around the edge. Lacing is not very prominent but good and sticky. Looks pretty nice, for all its faults.

Nose is actually very sweet, with a toasted coconut aroma being dominant, aspects of dark, syrupy grain infusion underneath, a marshmallow hint and of course a rich chocolatey character. Really, that smells like a Bounty® Bar - chocolate and coconut. Slightly tart as well as very sweet and toasted. I don't know if I like it that sweet, but otherwise immaculate.

Taste is also sweet, with again a toasted coconut flavour and some more nutty hints of pecan and walnut. Sweet chocolate comes through with a milky cocoa goodness, kind of threatens to turn tart with some prune character on the mid and a good hit of oak as well. Still just sweet. Finish is a little bit toasty, maybe very slight roasty bitterness but none of that gritty espresso I'm used to. Just sweet, roasty and yummy.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and velvety with just a little alcohol warmth on the back. This is perhaps a little sweet to be drunk all the time, but it's so outrageously tasty otherwise.

Pours a deliciously devilish black with a really thick and dangerous dark brown filmy head of fine sticky bubbles. Looks extremely heavy and opaque in the glass. Lacing sticks like mud globs to the side of the glass, just emphasising how thick and heavy it is. Some fine cascading bead is evident around the edges when it's swirled. It's as though the head can't keep up with where the body is. Looks thick and just plain gorgeous. An absolutely phenomenal looking beer.

A quite amazing nose, very sweet but dark. Toasted coconut is dominant, with deeper notes of oak barrel, turned earth and vegemite. Such a blissful aroma, so full of dark sweetness, powerful yet beautiful. I'll say it again: phenomenal.

Incredible slick mouthfeel just nudges your palate to accept the delicious and subtle sweetness - more coconut, chocolate, bourbon vanilla and roasted nuts. It's all so dark, but gloriously leavened and sweet, leaving a rich, indulgent, and utterly ecstatic impression on your palate, verging on orgasmic. Mouthfeel is just about as good as you can get from a bottle, so slick and smooth and round. There's not a hint of the alcohol - this is just amazingly smooth, rich, velvety and subtle. Absolutely in-fucking-credible.

Holy shit, I've just drunk the best beer in the world. This is smooth, indulgent, and absolutely amazing. I have never had a beer so rich, so smooth and so consistently delicious. For one brief moment, I have tasted perfection.

2.94/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to deliriumfest for this one. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Thick, black, with one finger of brown head that subsided almost immediately.

Smell: Soy sauce was the first thing that came to mind. Some oak, dark chocolate. I'm not getting as much bourbon-specific notes as I thought I would. Alcohol is definitely apparent, and I think that

Taste: Um...very odd. There's a cloying artificial sweetness mixed with soy flavors. Some bourbon in there, and some alcohol...what is this? Some oak. This is not at all what I was expecting...tastes more like soy sauce then beer. I'm a big fan of bourbon, a big fan of stouts, and I loved KBS...but this...I don't know. Incredibly strong alcohol taste. It does mellow out a little bit as it warms, and becomes more of a chocolatey-bourbony flavored drink.

Mouthfeel: Very nice and thick, and incredibly creamy.

Drinkability: The tastes mellow out after a little while and it becomes more drinkable, but I was not a fan. I was disappointed with this one. I don't think it was a bad bottle, but I will try to get my hands on one again in the future, and change if necessary. It was a chore to make my way through this bottle.

3.14/5  rDev -30.1%

Re-review 5/13/2010. As with the original review, this is a 2008 vintage, 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours thick, murky and just about black. Sadly, there's only a slight skim of foam that disappears within a few seconds. No lacing. Looks pretty boring, but I'm sure it will get more interesting in a hurry.

Yup, things just got a lot more interesting. A healthy punch of bourbon greets the nose from a foot away. Not quite as overpowering as it was fresh, but damned near it. In the background linger sweet oak, charred wood, fresh brewed coffee, cocoa, caramel, toffee and vanilla. It takes a lot of concentration to pick them out underneath the bourbon, though.

The bourbon avalanche continues in the mouth, and there's a whole lot of sweetness, too. It does stop just shy of being a sugar bomb (my least favorite kind of beer). Behind the bourbon are cocoa powder, strong woody flavors, black strap molasses, black campfire coffee with sweet vanilla and caramel after the swallow. A pleasant sting of bitterness along with that sweetness. Just too much bourbon right now, though.

Mouthfeel is thick and quite velvety. Bourbon, dark chocolate, caramel and molasses linger into the throat after swallowing.

Overall impression: I don't think I'll crack any more of this vintage for a year or 2. Hopefully the bourbon will have calmed down a bit by then.

4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle From my buddy Jeremiah Year 2008 Pours a good black with a tan head. The head is fizzy but lasting. Awesome aroma of chocolate, I mean really chocolate, licorice, bourbon, and molasses. Produces great lacing. Has a good carbonation and a wonderful mouthfeel. Very well balanced and the alcohol is well hidden. The flavors are chocolate, spicies, with the slightest alcohol. Has a thick texture. Stick to ribs feel to it. An awesome finish with a great aftertaste. Not sure if you can tell this is an awesome beer.

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Poured into a snifter. Bottled on this date 10/08/08. No head to speak of, a small swirl of bubbles make it to the surface. Thick as motor oil. Black as a new moon night.

S: Big Bourbon up front. Strong alcoholic presence that moves to a very sweet finish. Slight malt notes and vanilla too.

T: First the sweet Vanilla oak notes hint, then a burnt caramel and bourbon. The alcohol warms the mouth as it goes down, no burn though. Three simple flavors make up this huge beer.

M: Huge smooth and heavy. It coats the mouth and keeps a sticks sweet residue in the mouth. After each sip passes it seems to lighten and vanish into air as if the mouth is always this sweet.

D: Slow sipper here. Its impressive that there so much flavor here yet the overall profile is simple, Vanilla, Bourbon Sweet malt, done.

3.82/5  rDev -14.9%

Thanks to screamforme for this bottle. Poured from a bottle into a snifter. The beer is oil black with a thin mocha head that fades quickly. The lacing is oily and sticky on the sides of the glass.

The smell is bourbon, as expected. There is some roasted malt aroma and some faint cinnamon in the background.

The taste is bourbon, cinnamon, bourbon, roasted coffee, bourbon, oak, bourbon, a little licorice and then some bourbon to finish it off. I have never had a beer with this much whiskey flavor present throughout the entire sip, wow.

The mouthfeel is thick and viscous. The booze hits your right away, but doesn't overpower the flavors of the beer. This would benefit from some time in the cellar, definitely a sipper, but an extreme beer that I am glad I tried.

3.8/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours inky black with a very small coffee colored head.

Aroma is loaded with bourbon. Heavy dark roasted malts accented with cinnamon, raisin, coffee, slight fruit and toast.

Taste is loaded with bourbon, cocoa, coffee.. very alchoholic at 13 but it hides it well enough. Bitterness from the roasted slightly burnt malt taste.

Thick mouthfeel. This is a great sipper.

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Reviewed with the help of Wheatman106 and capra12

P: Poured from the bottle which said it was brewed 10/28/08, into a snifter.

A: Poured like used engine oil. Thick and dark and completely opaque. Very little carbonation and head formation. Left a slight ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

S: Smelled like exceptionally sweet soy sauce. Very robust and thick with strong alcoholic overtones that covered whatever other hints that may otherwise have been apparent.

T: Chocolate, raisins, with a strong alcoholic finish that lingers. Really couldn't taste the vanilla and oak taste described by on the bottle

M: Silky and heavily sweet flavor that coats the mouth and lingers all throughout. This is the definition of a robust and full beer.

D: Wouldn't have more than one of these at a time. BUT its not because it wasn't good... but rather, its so heavy and filling, one beer is enough to last the night.

What is left to be said. This is by far the best beer I have had to date. It is complex, thick. This is not a drink, but a drinking experience. I would suggest a nice food pairing, but I have yet to find something worthy to stand up against this masterpiece. If possible I would give it an A++.

Poured from a bottle into a nice heavy ale glass. I realize many people think this should be poured into a snifter, including the Goose Island folks, but in my mind it needed to be poured like a proper pint.

Appearance: Deep dark brown, small mocha colored head that disapates quickly leaving only a bit of lace.

Smell: Strong roasted malt, with coffee and chocolate overtones. High alcohol content gives the aroma a slight acidic bite that I would liken to a really nice Peruvian coffee. Bourbon aging leaves a nice undertone of sweet caramels and leather.

Taste: Absolutely spectacular from front to back. Great bit of sweetness from the malt, a shy concealed bitterness from the hops. The bourbon flavor resonates nicely in the after taste.

Mouth Feel: Thick, Smooth, Warming. It engulfs your whole body like the liquid metal in the matrix.

Drinkability: Personally I could drink this beer all day. At 13%, however, the day would be very short

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

A- Black midnight, very syurpy no light is going to pass through this guy. Medium size head, good fingers. My stout was crackling when I first poured it into my glass never seen that before.

S- Heavy barley grain smell, you're overwhelmed with a strong woody smoke bourbon smell to boot.

T- Heavy grain smoke woody flavor, the bourbon really is pronounced in this stout especially towards the end. Very very rich and heavy as hell.

M- Creamy, thick, and very rich on the palate. You will warm up a little due to the high amount of alcohol.

D- Never had anything close to this before, the rich woody bourbon flavor is a bit too much for me.... actually it blows my hat and socks right off! I don't want to take anything away from the fine folks at Goose Island, it's not really my style but with that said you can really tell this stout has been made with incredibly high amount of dedication.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a viscous, oily, deep dark black with just a hint of brown around the edges into a snifter producing only a small brown ring of head.

Nose is boozy with bourbon and packed full of dark aromas - coffee, chocolate, vanilla, candy malt, and oak with some dark fruit (raisin and pomegranate). A complex, fantastic nose.

Mouth is full bodied, silky and smooth with low carbonation. Coats the entire mouth as it swirls and goes down, with a long, stinging finish.

Taste is much like the nose, alcohol bite throughout with sugary sweetness up front, vanilla and caramel, with the bitter chocolate and coffee coming in in the middle and finishing with a slightly bitter dryness. The prickly alcohol burn lingers for a while, along with the roasted malt and vanilla. The flavors combine to give hints of peanut butter toward the back end.

Drinkability is dangerous for 13%. The alcohol is there, big and bold, but the tastes and smells are so alluring you keep coming back for more.

Overall this beer is a thing of beauty. Complex and so well balanced. This is right up there among my absolute favorites.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.