Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 3,461
1.32/5  rDev -53%

Miller High Life was not a pleasant drinking experience. The gold coloring falsely implies a clean refreshing taste, however, the taste was just bad. It really was like a massive rush of metallic slopiness hitting my taste buds at one time and I was unable to finish the beer. I would recommend Miller Genuine Draft and Miller Lite over High Life.

1.34/5  rDev -52.3%

Well this was a disappointment. I enjoy the Miller Genuine Draft and saw this (The Champagne of beers).

I now know that Champagne of beers is another way of saying, all the left over crap in the brewery mixed into an attractive bottle.

I think the taste would be the same as drinking diluted rubbing alcohol.

On the bright side this beer is inexpensive.

1.35/5  rDev -52%

This beer made me physically ill...I know its on the cheaper end, but given the poor quality i still felt ripped off.

The appearance is a light shade of bum-urine.

Smell is of stagnant water and hops, or whatever they scraped off the brewery floor.

What can i say about the taste? there is none to speak of, it was a chore to get this shit down my throat.

Mouthfeel was extremely watered down as i expected,i can't imagine the type of people that enjoy this.

This beer is un-drinkable in every way,but im sure there's some man/woman out there driving down the road, singing along to ac/dc, waving their welfare check out the window, that can't wait to get some.

1.35/5  rDev -52%

This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had. Actually, it is. My friends and I thought this would be a good change from National Bohemian since this was on sale for 11 bux for a 30pack. A hell of a deal in my book. Turns out, I will never buy or drink this beer no matter what ever again. I'd rather be sober as a bird than drink this garbage for free.

Upon opening the beer and pouring into the glass, there was a TON of head! About 3 fingers. Head is usually associated with a good beer in my opinion like Sam Adams, Magic Hat, etc., but not this beer.

The smell is that of a typical macro-brew except -1. The taste is slightly better than that of a National Bohemian. Those of you that aren't familiar with National Bohemian it is an extremely cheap beer that is only about 10 dollars for a 12 pack. It is purely a Maryland domestic beer, but it is the best value for your money. NB is of a slightly less caliber than Coors Light. But anyway, High Life's mouthfeel is horrible and has a foam feel to it when it's in your mouth.

The drinkability is even more horrible as well as this beer makes you extremely full extremely fast. Also the next day you feel like a complete fat-ass when you roll out of bed and you can just feel it latch onto your fatty-liver and gut.

When you look at your glass afterwards, you can see all the foam and sugars latch onto the glass of your beer and it's really quite disgusting. I've never had such an experience with such a cheap macro-beer. Sam Adams, I get the residue in the glass, I understand it and it doesn't look dirty, it looks natural. High Life looks utterly disgusting and you just wonder what the hell it's doing in your stomach.

If your having a party and you really feel like skimping out on the beer without skimping out on quantity, get this I suppose. I'd rather drink any other macro-beer besides this. At least scum-beers like Natural Light and Busch Light don't make you so damn full.

Oh, and as far as power hours go, DO NOT USE THIS BEER!

1.36/5  rDev -51.6%

This beer is rather bitter and nothing special compared to the rest of the American Macro Lagers I have tried. I really think they could up the ante on such a hyped up beer. The carbonation is super low and it's not one bit crisp on the tongue, either. All I taste is stagnant fizzy water that seemed to have been passed through a bag of metallic minerals.

1.38/5  rDev -50.9%

A: Slightly golden with an okay white head and some carbonation.

S: Some hints of grain in addition to the smell of adjuncts.

T: Not at all good. Almost tastes like fake beer with metal in it.

M: Too much carbonation and a weird metallic vibe to it. Feels and tastes like I bit my tongue.

D: Same as the mouthfeel. Absolutely stay away from this one. As far as I'm concerned, the worst of the macros.

1.39/5  rDev -50.5%

In Germany, Miller is not beer, because it's not made from hops, malted barley and water. It's made from corn and corn syrup, admitted adulterants. The Germans are on to something. Miller, like the other industrial brews, is best avoided. We have many other beverage choices.

It's light yellow. You can see it well through the skunk-inducing clear bottle. Cool. Old school bad.

Miller stinks. I don't mean that in a value-judgment sense. Literally, it stinks. Pop the cap and you're sure to smell the skunk. With a clear bottle, it happens fast. Get a perfectly fresh bottle, let it warm a bit. Now you'll get it. Take another whiff. The faint aroma of something rotten.

Miller skunks fast and tastes horrible as a result. However, if you get a very fresh bottle it's sweet. They make it with corn and/or corn syrup to make it sweet.

Miller feels like skunky water. Mmmm.

1.4/5  rDev -50.2%

Pours a piss yellow with no head. Smells of hardly anything, hints of grain and bread. Tastes bad, but honestly the best Miller offering. Tastes like 2 year old cereal. But not as bad as most macros. Had this at a party, and I won't have it again. I like how every review of this beer has to have an explanation as to why they had it. Anways, avoid this.

1.4/5  rDev -50.2%

Well, I didn't have much money for this week so I though I would pick up a 12 pack of canned, yellow fizzy stuff for $6.99 just to last me the week. They call this "The Champagne of Beers" apparently due to the unusually high amount of carbonation and lack of taste.

Pours to a HUGE head that just sat there for a good few minutes before subsiding. The taste on this is...ummm...hmmm...taste....can you really adequately describe the taste of water? This tastes just like that. Yet, worse somehow. This "beer" is the true definition of "yellow fizzy stuff".

1.41/5  rDev -49.8%

I can't believe I never reviewed this beer. I guess when you review one you feel like you've reviewed em all. This is a bad beer but considering it's competition I suppose you could do worse. Low quality corn, grain, rice, malty mix that doesn't taste very good. It's watery enough to make it go down without too much of a grimace. Barely drinkable and a notch above the pour-down-the-drain Beast level. It is cheap as hell so at least it's got that going for it.

1.48/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

The mouthfeel is the best part about this beer - because when it's cold, you can practically drink it without noticing...

Problem is, it is watery, and swill-y, and has a metallic taste to it. Also some dirty corn/ grain flavors.

1.5/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Poured unto a pint.

Appearance: Clear yellow, white head pretty subtle but comes off 1/4" off the body.

Smell: Light hops, nothing extravagant here.

Taste: Slight corn, comes off like a light lager but slightly bitter, not so tasty but nothing i would buy again (thank god I didn't).

Mouth: Light-medium carbonation, easy to drink not easy to love but thus far not a bad balance.

Overall: I personally would not purchase this beer, not to knock on Miller but I do drink before I look anything up and this is nothing crazy, no need to disrespect but if you consider yourself a beer connoisseur you have to be a low life to like the "High Life". Salud!

1.56/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer makes my top 10 worst beers at least from what I've had so far. Appearance nice white head that stuck around a bit longer than I expected and even left a little lace. Smell cheep adjunents not much hop. Taste much the same as the smell with a bit of a funny aftertaste. Mouthfeel very high carbonation a bit to much if you ask me. Drinkability no thanks.

1.58/5  rDev -43.8%

Poured from a tall-boy can into pilsner glass. Can marked June1311 on bottom. I am reviewing this beer because it is THE beer my father has drank...ever since he got out of the navy after serving more than 8 years.

A. A rather mild pour yields 3, yes 3 fingers of big, bubbly, foamy white head. The body is an unremarkable, practically clear yellow color. Bubbles are observed rising to to the top in a slow but regular fashion. As the head slowly dies I pour more into my glass, and note that the head, although large, shrinks in a few minutes, and really is rather weak. Has an odd lacing on the top of the glass, but this doesn't keep going as I drink, just sits at the top.

S. Weak. I smell corn, the ghost of grain and metal. At least it isn't skunked.

T. Pretty much follows the nose. LOTS of corn, a bit of grain, but the metal is a little more downplayed.

M. Ever had water? You know, H2O? Yeah, it's kinda like that, with a little carbonation.

O. Overall, this is possibly the worst beer I've had in my life. I've only drank a handful of these in the past, because even in my macro brew days, I steered clear of my father's beer. The only thing this beer has going for it is the can I picked up has a pretty lady on it. Honestly, the warmer it gets, the more I get metal and corn. I believe this will be my last in my lifetime.

1.58/5  rDev -43.8%

What do you do when 75 cent busch light bottles run out? replace them with miller high life. Looks better than regular BMC products and smells slightly more citrusy as well, but far from good. tastes old and stale which is somewhat of a let down but overall it's doable. Follow your normal "free beer" rules with this. I wouldn't even do beer pong or tailgate with this beer.

1.59/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Man this is another over priced macro in my opinion. Basic yellow color with tan head. Bad smelling hops and old malts. Taste is of flat malt.

The feel is light and very carbonated. Miller is another macro that I will never buy. I might drink one if its the last beer on earth... or maybe not.

1.62/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Poured this in a mug.

A: Poured a clear light yellow color with a short white head with medium amounts of lacing.

S: Smells like grain, corn, grass

T: Like I was expecting, not so good, tastes of corn, grains, and some weird mystery flavor in the backdrop

M: Watery consistency, medium carbonation, easy to chug, you just have to get passed the strange flavors

O: Should be called low life or no life, a cheap beer such as this is a depressing and ironic interpretation of the " high life", why get the hopes up of the people that have to drink cheap beer. Wouldn't have this again

1.64/5  rDev -41.6%

What kind of a beer drinker would be alured by the concept of his brew tasting like champagne? In short this terrible drink made me feel as if I was a kid who had snuck into his Dad's tool shed and slammed down a bottle of chemicals. If you aren't ashamed to walk out of a store with this one, then perhaps you should walk out with a case of "Natural Light" instead? 1,000,000 college kids can't be wrong! Take it easy boys and girls!

1.65/5  rDev -41.3%

This beer poured a very pale yellow color with a large head of foam. It was so pale that it was basically just a shade darker than water. The aroma was very uninviting. I could smell a mixture of rotting tomatoes and a kind of fruity aroma mixed with it. Surprisingly, the taste was not too bad. I could taste the ever present corn and adjuncts, but there was also a nutty aftertaste that was kind of pleasing. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could put out a product like this and still make money. I'd take a Bud or PBR anyday over the "Champagne of Beers". Not recommended.

1.65/5  rDev -41.3%

In a word: "average."

....even for a macro brew this beer represents the average. I guess thats pretty much what they're going for though. Every once in awhile I have to pick up a sixer of HL just to remind myself of why I spend $10+ per bottle for the good stuff. It pretty much embodies the qualities of what people like my grandfather expected from their beer. Essentially something devoid of any immediate bitterness or "flavor", yet something that provided a brief escape from the life that was 50's and 60's America. For this reason it still marches on, coursing through the veins of tail-gaters and lower-middle class ping pong players across the country....

1.66/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Tallboy can reviewed over the weekend. I am pretty surprised it took this long to get this review in but kind of happy I waited. Full notes taken while consuming.

A- Poured from the tallboy can to two pint glasses, finally getting to the champagne of beers. Crystal clear, really!, uber pale golden body with a foamy white cap. Head rises to about two fingers and has poor to fair retention. Foamy ring leaves spotty lace and some patches.

S- Really, really not much going on here. Slight pale lager yeast and malts but pretty much have to search for it, beyond clean (in all aspects). Maybe a hint of fruit.

T- Opens up and some more going on here but really not a ton. Rice and pale cracked grains come to mind with a tiny hint of lager ester fruits. Bread and popcorn is about how I sum it up.

MF- Lightest possible body with a high carbonation attacking the taste buds. Texture is about the opposite of creamy, watery and fizzy.

I don't really know anymore. Somehow this doesn't taste like complete shit to me. I was more bothered by this when I was about 20-21 but now I find lager yeast hints. Leaves you wishing for more and lacks anything all that enjoyable.

1.66/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 16oz pounder into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: very pale golden color with a ton of effervescence and a crystal-clear body. Head is two fingers of fizzy white foam. Not too terrible, but it is simply too darn pale.

Smell: sour grain, and that's about it. Now I know why I always drink straight from the can!

Taste: sourish wet-grain flavor. In the back of my head somewhere, I seemed to remember High Life being a halfway decent mega lager. This is pretty bad, though; it's sour and bitter (but not in a good way), and I'm having a hard time choking it down. At least it's not particularly strongly flavored.

Mouthfeel: light body with a moderate fizziness which gives, actually, a somewhat decent mouthfeel. Still, not great.

Drinkability: I've had tons of High Life in my day, and I do not remember it ever being this bad. I guess that's why we go back and review these things, though, right? Now I know never to buy this again.

1.66/5  rDev -40.9%

Pours a vibrant light golden color and is "crystal clear". A half inch foamy white head forms on the pour. Poor retention and some spotty lace.

The aroma is typical. Some sweet pale malt, kind of bready with no hint of hops.

The taste is pretty terrible. Sweet pale malt, with no definite characteristic. I don't really know what to say, I just know I don't like it.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is low. The flavor is kind of making me sick. Poorly constructed and not enjoyable.

1.67/5  rDev -40.6%

Slight skunky smell, with some gross sweatiness thrown in for good measure. Tastes like a pale lager but with an off taste added. Not good, but I drank most of the bottle. How can you waste the champagne of beers? Boring stale, odd maltiness sums it up. Blech...

1.68/5  rDev -40.2%

Yellow water. Not much of anything her to even speak of. It's a standard mass produced American "beer". The only reason I even opened it is because a friend of mine left one in my fridge, and I don't like to waste beer, not even this one. I'm sure that there is a time and place that this would taste really good, I just don't know when or where it would be.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.